Official names of Sun, Earth and Moon!

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 9
  • Views Views 1,192
I don't think these are the officially recognised names, but they are more of a.k.a or also known as.I have read about luna being an alternate for moon. Was also amused earlier, when I read the word lunatic, comes from luna indicating Moon-struck or from the moon

Google also seems to suggest something similar though I would sort of believe Neil deGrasse Tyson a bit more 😀

i guess the same body which decided that pluto is no longer a planet? 🙂

I would go with this -

Gazetteer of Planetary Nomenclature
International Astronomical Union (IAU) Working Group for Planetary System Nomenclature (WGPSN)

Planetary Names: Planet and Satellite Names and Discoverers

The name Earth comes from the Indo-European base 'er,'which produced the Germanic noun 'ertho,' and ultimately German 'erde,' Dutch 'aarde,' Scandinavian 'jord,' and English 'earth.' Related forms include Greek 'eraze,' meaning 'on the ground,' and Welsh 'erw,' meaning 'a piece of land.'

Every civilization has had a name for the satellite of Earth that is known, in English, as the Moon. The Moon is known as Luna in Italian, Latin, and Spanish, as Lune in French, as Mond in German, and as Selene in Greek.

'Ay' in TurkishHawaiian: MahinaHebrew: L'vanah or yaraiakhFarsi: MahRussian: luná'K(Q)amar' in Arabic'HOLD' in Hungarian'dutch' maan'mesic'(pronounced mye-seets ) in Czech'mesec' in serbianNila, Ambuli, Mathi, - in Tamil a classical language'Chandra' in Sanskrit & devanagari grammar based languages.

From their website
Buying Star Names | IAU
The IAU frequently receives requests from individuals who want to buy stars or name stars after other persons. Some commercial enterprises purport to offer such services for a fee. However, such "names" have no formal or official validity whatever

So the whole industry of paying money to get a star named after your loved one is fake. It also says there is no validity to buying land on the moon 😉