Apple iOS 6 Updates

Hardik7

Aparigraha
Regulars
Oct 31, 2011
Ahmedabad
apparently the world's msot advanced mobile operating system does not let you do basic stuff like download apps from the internet and install them.

That's the best thing about iOS. Internet is swarming with malware infected Android apps. Even in Android market, many times there have been malware-virus affected apps which Google has to pull off after many days. Bouncer is not that effective in scanning the applications. And there are ways to circumvent bouncer & release malware right in to Play store. Here's the demo of www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEIED2ZLEbQ "how Bouncer can be bypassed to slip malicious apps into the Android Market"

At least in my iPhone 4S, every time I install a new app, I don't have to worry about whether the app is secure or not. iPhone's h/w & s/w is produced by Apple and that's what makes it the best smartphone in the world. The same company involved in entire process, provides the best integration between them thus providing richest user experience.

Anyways here is the list of all the features/rumors to come in iOS 6

iOS 6 news: Release date, features and other rumours | CNET UK

Summary:-

- Apple Maps
- Facebook integration
- Siri for iPad
- Design
- Store redesigns
- Mail VIP filter
- Do Not Disturb
- Safari awesome bar
- iWallet
- Multiple users on your iPad
- Live updating widgets

sanke1

Aug 1, 2005
Mumbai
That's the best thing about iOS. Internet is swarming with malware infected Android apps. Even in Android market, many times there have been malware-virus affected apps which Google has to pull off after many days. Bouncer is not that effective in scanning the applications. And there are ways to circumvent bouncer & release malware right in to Play store. Here's the demo of Dissecting Android's Bouncer - YouTube "how Bouncer can be bypassed to slip malicious apps into the Android Market"

At least in my iPhone 4S, every time I install a new app, I don't have to worry about whether the app is secure or not. iPhone's h/w & s/w is produced by Apple and that's what makes it the best smartphone in the world. The same company involved in entire process, provides the best integration between them thus providing richest user experience.
You think chromaniac doesn't know that already? :) ..and yup! I believe, it's better to have a wall which protects you from basic outside attacks rather than not having any wall at all. People are forced to pay and that reduces piracy and increases the polish on apps if you compare them with the ones on Android. They appear like iOS ports. Whatever the disguise, side loading of downloadable apps is done mostly for piracy.

Downside of the walled garden is the garden cannot be decorated with outside plants. But trade off is acceptable for peeps like me who like stock experience.

I request all Fandroids to remain calm and not bite me.

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
lol. i cannot believe you guys still talk about security and shit like that when you have been using windows (or os x) for most part of your life. android is as secure as windows or os x (without the new walled garden that apple is creating with mountain lion that allows you to restrict app installation to mac app store alone). i guess you would love to have a similar locked environment on your desktop as well. if not, why is iOS so special to retain the experience that apple decides for you and not your home computer's operating system?

agantuk

Bhatakti Aatma
Regulars
Jun 13, 2009
Google needs to do something about widely pirated apps available for Android, but not so much for iOS. Android already suffers from low revenue, and piracy only makes things worse. We saw it first hand when our product released. After one week of an Android exclusive launch, we noticed the number of activations of our paid app was twice the number of actual sales. Then when the iOS version launched at the same price, it overtook the weekly sales on Android on the first day itself. This speaks volumes about the kind of ecosystem that Apple has set up.

whoru007

Human
Feb 21, 2010
London
I think if we believe that security will be major feature in iOS 6 or any future OS then its bullshit. No matter how hard developer tries there are always loopholes in system which exposes internal architecture and other stuff. So Viruses and Mal-wares will always be there. iOS 6 will merely procure anything new; its Apple fighting against tightly packed Android 4 aka ICS.

sanke1

Aug 1, 2005
Mumbai
lol. i cannot believe you guys still talk about security and shit like that when you have been using windows (or os x) for most part of your life. android is as secure as windows or os x (without the new walled garden that apple is creating with mountain lion that allows you to restrict app installation to mac app store alone).

i guess you would love to have a similar locked environment on your desktop as well. if not, why is iOS so special to retain the experience that apple decides for you and not your home computer's operating system?

We are talking about iOS and which runs on limited phone hardware with limited resources. For desktop, this walled garden experience is hampering and I hate the iOS direction Apple is taking with respect to desktop. Fine, in Mountain Lion, we can easily disable the security and allow traditional apps to install, but in future, who knows, Apple will disable that option as well where we are restricted to App Store Only apps. I rather run a proper Antivirus on desktop and have the ability to install any app I like. But the sad reality is that even Microsoft with Windows 8 is following the same direction. But frankly, that's the future for these companies, however it may be dark for us consumers. :(

My point being, a mobile is not a desktop. (It will never be) So walled garden approach can help maintain virus free/piracy free environment and actually bring app costs down. But for desktop where the resources are nearly unlimited, I need full experience.

My predictions for iOS6
1. Apple to ditch Google Maps for new in-house maps and navigation app.
2. Support for third party widgets, in notification centre.

manu1991

Ancient Philospher
Regulars
Dec 9, 2006
Delhi
No matter how hard developer tries there are always loopholes in system which exposes internal architecture and other stuff. So Viruses and Mal-wares will always be there.

No one is questioning their existence, the debate is about their prevalence.

My problem with Apple comes when they start applying their restriction on the kind of apps they will allow. they had earlier rejected an app which worked as a remote for transmission installed on a remote machine. on the grounds that it could be possibly used for piracy. F U apple. I'll download torrents on my machine if I want to. thankfully, jailbreaking removes a lot of these restrictions.

the thing is, a majority of the customers do not give a shit about the companies philosophy and practices. If the phone/tablet does what they want it to do through means they know how to use, they are happy.