Request to @airtel_presence to provide an option to disable SmartBytes redirections

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
Starting a thread for you to retweet to appeal to Airtel Broadband to provide an option to disable random redirections to SmartBytes page. Reasons? 1. Almost all users who are getting randomly redirected would probably know about SmartBytes and would do it manually if they are interested in getting a SmartBytes package. Airtel already sends an email when the user crosses 80% and 100% of his usage, that is the proper place to promote this 'scam'. 2. Random redirections are bad for the end user as it breaks the flow of browsing. It can result in data loss for users who are trying to post a comment on a blog or forum. It can lead to incomplete online transactions which can result in major headaches for the user paying for a product or service online.

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
yeap. it is not dependent upon the DNS... it happens on the server side.

hno3

Regulars
Jan 27, 2008
Delhi
Do the redirections occur with Google DNS as well?
Yes. When I started receiving these questions. I first changed my DNS from Airtel to OpenDNS and that did not help.

MITHI

Aug 18, 2011
try blocking their domain with hosts file or firewall, reply the post it that works

genie

woot !
Regulars
Jan 10, 2008
Bangalore
It can lead to incomplete online transactions which can result in major headaches for the user paying for a product or service online.

Maybe you can avoid redirection by enabling Speed on Demand before transacting.

SOD is charged on 5 minute prorata basis so you can turn it off after completing the transaction.

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
lol. on a 4mbps connection i do not really have any SoD option. secondly, i should not be paying them more than what i already do to make use of what i have already paid them for. frankly speaking... they start the random redirection after 80% of the usage is consumed. so basically, i am suffering for the last 20% of the allotted bandwidth that i already pay for (that would be 30GB for me!). they are interfering with my connection even before i have hit the FUP limits. that's something i would say is an unacceptable behavior.

genie

woot !
Regulars
Jan 10, 2008
Bangalore
You can chose a lower speed SOD perhaps.I don't condone what they are doing....just suggesting a solution to avoid a transaction from being interrupted.