• Thread starter Thread starter moindear
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 37
  • Views Views 4,596

moindear

Internet addict!
ISP
Airtel, ACT
I need to buy a new monitor for my desktop, please do suggest me a good one.Only major requirement is it needs to support Full HD.Price should be upto 7K. If it is very good, can extend upto 8-9k.

Samsung B2230 ~8k

LG IPS225V monitor ......best IPS monitor for 10K.......but the dam LG sales people released this only in Chennai and not at other places :distress::silly::thumbdown:...and even in Chennai they are out of stock:Kill: !

So planning one at 22 inches ?

If you can up your budget by 2 thousand, take a look at Benq's G2420HD, supports DVI-D, D-Sub and HDMI.

It's a TN LCD panel supporting full HD, and has a 2ms GTG response.

It's a pure 24" (not 23" or the one's who claim 22" and provide 21.5"). Screen area is what matters and you are
getting a big one.

Trust me you won't at all regret buying this one. I have one on my desktop, and planning to buy another one
for a new rig that I will build in a couple of months after I finish travelling.

Ignore the reviews on flipkart btw, I use this monitor for trading and I'm pretty much hooked on to the PC for
10-12 hours daily without any issues. I primarily use this monitor for work and watching movies. The panel is
very bright and I'm using it at 30% of the total brightness / contrast level.

Benq 24 inch LCD - G2420HD Monitor: Flipkart.com

I think 24 inches might not be possible. The computer stand which I use to keep the CPU, speakers and monitor might not accommodate a 24" monitor. Lemme check once more.

Price wise its fine with me, I can afford it.

Couple of questions from my end.

Is the LED monitor better? There is a 24" monitor but LED with similar price Benq 24 inch LED - GL2450 Monitor: Flipkart.com

Another monitor with 21.5 shud be fine right? Benq 21.5 inch LED - GL2250HM Monitor: Flipkart.com

BTW which is better HDMI or DVI?

For all practical purposes, HDMI = DVI + Sound. For computer monitors doesn't make a difference.Regarding G2420 vs GL2450, the contrast ratio on the latter is 1000:1 vs 500:1 on the former (B2230 also has 1000:1) so it will have deeper contrast. When I had to purchase a monitor, I saw Samsung and BenQ side by side and couldn't find any difference in PQ. I liked the look of the Samsung so I bought it(I have B2030).

See the option with HDMI is that you can use the monitor as a TV by using a HD DTH connection. Of course audio output will have to go via
audio out to separate speakers but this is one additional feature to have.

You can get a nice HD PCI-e card and connect to the monitor using either HDMI or DVI-D for a digital experience.
My setup is connected via DVI to a Geforce 8500GT.

Btw the Dynamic Contrast Ratio (DCR) doesn't matter. What you should be looking at is the actual brightness of the panel
The BenQ G2420HD has 300 nits (cd/m2) and GL2450HD is 250 nits. The response time of GL2450 is 5ms. 2420HD is 2ms G2G.

The GL2250HM has a 2ms reponse time (faster than 5ms) this is crucial if you are a gamer, has a lower dot pitch. All in all
if you don't need the higher screen real estate (21.5" v/s 24") no harm in going for the 2250HM.

I am not getting any younger and already have an older Acer 22" AL2216W, so the 21.5" would have been a downgrade for me.
The difference is approx Rs. 2000/- between the 21.5" and 24" so I would advise to go for a higher sized panel if you can
afford it.

This is the post that prompted me to go for the BenQ http://www.erodov.com/forums/samsung-p2350-vs-benq-g2420hd-one-buy/29739.html#post415821

Btw the Dynamic Contrast Ratio (DCR) doesn't matter. What you should be looking at is the actual brightness of the panel

What I quoted was the static contrast ratio. the dynamic contrast ratio would probably be something like 50000:1 or its whereabouts.

Sorry for not responding earlier. Was travelling visiting my other home.

The GL2450 does look good and you are getting a LED instead of a LCD.
You are adopting a later technology. Only issue is that this monitor doesn't
have a HDMI port and has a 5ms refresh rate. It isn't a deal break if you
don't play FPS games. If you can live with DVI-D output, then its a great buy.

BenQ India | Products - LCD Monitors - GL2450

If you need a HDMI out, then you might have to look for a different LED model,
which might exceed the budget.