Help regarding buying an AC in Kolkata

abhirup_sphs

[OP]
Regulars
Dec 24, 2008
New Delhi
Hi,I'll be buying two split AC's within the coming weeks. Room 1 size - approx 160 sq feetRoom 2 size - approx 220 sq feetRooms are on the top floor and for both the rooms one wall is exposed to direct sunlight for at least some part of the day. Each has 2 doors and 4 windows. According to my calculation I would need 1.5tonnes & 2 tonnes AC for the two rooms respectively. I would like to know if my calculations are right.My points :- 1. 3 star or 5 star? How much difference will it make? What is the approx break even period between 3 & 5 star if the AC's are used in summers for around 7-8 hours max daily .2. Which brand and which exact model to go for? ( I have a preference for Samsung since majority of electrical appliances in my home are from Samsung & they haven't caused any hassles to me as yet after years of continuous use, but frankly I don't have much idea about the AC brands or models. Suggestions please.).3. Different companies advertize a host of features like dehumidifying, air ionizing etc etc, apart from the standard cooling. Which among these are important and worth paying the extra money?4.What are the typical extra equipments & charges incurred during installation of AC? (stabilizer?are all wires & cables provided for free?). 5. Budget for the AC's are around 65-67K. (excluding installation & all).6. Can anybody brief me about the process of obtaining permission from CESC (power distribution body). Am asking this as our home does not have any points for an AC & I have heard that one needs permission from CESC & deposit a certain amount as security deposit(5000/-?) prior to installing AC's.Suggestions regarding these points will be immensely helpful.

godric_gt

Enlightened
Regulars
Apr 26, 2009
Kolkata
It depends how long you are planning to use, the calculation as far as i remember was something like if you plan on using it for anything greater than 10-12 hours then you need to go for the 5 star one, else you can opt for 3 star one.It's not always the size of the room that matters on the capacity of the AC, it also and mainly depends on the amount of furniture you have, and whether the room is sun facing.I would recommend you to avoid Samsung, although i never had complaints about the product itself, its the servicing people and the quality of their work that is still causing me worry. Best go for Hitachi or Carrier.You need not use a stabilizer, today's technology has outgrown that dependency. If your home is old and if you know there's no provision to support the power requirement on the existing wires then you should consult with an electrician to set up a separate line directly from the meter box with proper earthing to the place where you are going to set up the AC with a circuit breaker.About the CESC rules, they weren't there when i took my AC, so no idea, apparently your electrician will have a better idea. It would be good if you took advice from your electrician before proceeding with buying the AC.

Babhishek

Regular
Regulars
Sep 26, 2010
What's the total budget 65 k or 130 k ?

Babhishek

Regular
Regulars
Sep 26, 2010
Total budget is around 65-70 K (excluding installation & all)

you can make do with a 1 and 1.5 ton ( room size and budget wise); calculation wise, a 1 ton will cost ~35k with inverter and a 1.5 ton will be 43k plus.

1.5 and 2 tons are out of budget...

godric_gt

Enlightened
Regulars
Apr 26, 2009
Kolkata
Total budget is around 65-70 K (excluding installation & all)

That's quite an amount :O

Motorazor143

Regulars
Regulars
Dec 24, 2007
Your calculations are bang on target. 1.5 Ton and 2 Ton would be ideal for your rooms.1) Electricity consumption difference between 3 star and 5 start won't be huge. It would take you anywhere between 4 to 5 years for break even. I don't think you can easily find a 5 star 2.0 Ton AC. I would suggest you to get a 5 star 1.5 Ton Ac for your 160 Sq feet room and 3 star 2.0 ton unit for 220 Sq feet room.2) I would suggest you to avoid Samsung / Lg's when it comes to Ac's. Stick with japanese ac if you need 5 - 6 years of trouble free experiance. I would suggest you to look at Daikin models. they are excellent when it comes to cooling the quality is unmatched. For models please go through their websites. You can also look at Panasonic range of Ac's too.3) Most of these features are gimmick. Better stick with known brands like Daikin or panasonic.4) Split Ac installation would cost you anywhere between 1,500 rs - 2000rs for a unit. Some brands do provide the pipes with the ac( panasonic , Lg etc) but keep in mind that you would need to buy the pipes separately if you go with daikin ac's. You may also require a stand for the external unit of ac which costs upwards of 500 rupees. Stabilizer prices are extra. A good stabilizer would set you back by 2.5k or so and it's not included with ac price.5) recently saw a 3 star 2.0 Ton panasonic for 31k or so. a 1.5 Ton 5 star will cost you between 32k to 38k. I would suggest you to head to any big retail shop which keeps all brand's of ac and negotiate hard. I'm sure you will get a good deal.6) I have no clue.. Didn't obtain any permission or anything when i installed ac's in my Delhi home.

Dhaval Patel

May 21, 2012
abhirup_sphs said:
6. Can anybody brief me about the process of obtaining permission from CESC (power distribution body). Am asking this as our home does not have any points for an AC & I have heard that one needs permission from CESC & deposit a certain amount as security deposit(5000/-?) prior to installing AC's.

Permission for AC?? o_O Never heard of that!

I just got one without permission, should i get anticipatory bail?!?! LoL