Micromax MMX 400R MiFi Router Review and INSTALLATION .

Harsh_Thanvi

Regular
ISP
MTNL
i recently buyed micromax mmx 400r router , iam using it in my house and i would say that the wifi signal strength is just awesome . I had a hard time setting it up for the first time , thanks to MTNL false apn's , nyway i setted it up..Setup : i am writinfg it as i myself had hard time!!!!1 just insert sim card and a 2gb micro sd .2 connect through wifi in any cell .3 open the adress provided in that piece of paper , provided by miromax i.e 192.168.1.1 , this address is used to modify mifi itself as it do not have a user interface!4 just set it up u will get options to modify ur apn's so u can do what ever you want u can even create a new profile ! 5 if you donot want your network to fluctuate , go to internet > network settings and change automatic to 3G only .now your wifi is set up! Enjoy ! from my point of view this setup is not at all for n00bs!! Router Strength :i am using it around my house of 3BHK , iam getting full wifi network and network works flawlessly!!! download speeds are awesome 80 KBPS ya KiloBYTES Per Second!! Network Is always full!! Battery : i used battery at full charge by connecting 3 wifi devices it worked nicely for 6 hours!! and battery drained to just 50 % battery 1500mAhIcons on MMX400R : the icons are in deceding from left to right! so its like 4 wifi , 3 mifi router battery , 2 network connectivity (3G blue or 2G green or no connectivity RED) , 1 Signal Strength Any Pro lems Guys Just Post I HERE I WILL SURELY SOLVE IT FOR YOU I WROTE THIS REVIEW AS THERE IS NO PROPER INSTALLATION AND REVIEW AVAILABLE ON INTERNET! I MYSELF FACED MANY PROBLEMS! THANK YOU! AN DIF YOU ARE THINKING TO BUY THIS MIFI OR 3G WIFI ROUTER U CAN GO TO HOME SHOP TV 18 SITE ITS PRESENTLY AT 40 % DISCOUNT!!!Guide for modem usage ;1 power button 2 times , like we click the moouse , the modem reconnects to the network 2 keep power button pressed for more than 2 seconds the device will turn off3 press the wifi button once wifi will be turned off!4 press wifi button for more than 4 seconds , there will be a wps connection , wps = wifi procted setup is used to connect your blackberry to wifi normally bb provides a key which we have to enter it into our wifi , as it dont have a ui we can use WPS!!enjoy

it's cheaper on ebay. i didn't face too much problem while configuring the device. default APN for mtnl is working fine for me.

ebay is selling used ones !

- - - Updated - - -

i wrote this installation guide coz its no where on internet if some n00b buys it he would be experiencing hard time

Hi dantool,The link you provided says ₹2599/- + ₹60/- courier = ₹2659/- and still is good deal!@Harsh_Thanvi, does this works on 2G sim (Tata Docomo)?

I too purchased the router after reading your review. Thanks for the wonderful review. I require help on two issues. How does one access the routers SD card over the webpage? I have lost the userguide can you please scan it an post it on the forum of the benefit of all the forum members. Reply asap waiting for your posts. I am currently using Idea and am not satisfied as even putting it on the 3G settings does not give good speed. The signals varies throughout the day. I will purchase an mtnl 3G card today and post the results. I use my router on Sony vaio and Micromax funbook. No problems so far. I would once again like to put it that your review was good and after reading it i decided to buy, you have helped me in making a right choice. If you are from mumbai, can you suggest a good ISP?

Hello this review is for the souls who come up with a query that should one go for Micromax MMX 400R. I purchased it from Naaptol, the delivery took a week. I thought that i would receive a black colored modem, but ended up receiving a white color one. The photo on the webpage showed that the modem was black in color. Now let us get down to the unboxing part. The modem comes along with a battery, a usb cable, a usb charger unit and operation manual. The manual is actually a leaflet that has the bare information on operation. For onces who are adept to using IT products the information is good enough. For the newbies, I suggest that you contact Micromax for the detailed manual. I got mine via email. The detailed manual is a good 22 page information. I tried SIM from three companies, MTNL, Idea and Voda. The modem automatically detects settings. I am currently using Idea, the speed that I get is 3 Mbps. I am satisfied. The antenna is powerful, catches signals in corners. Since I have been using it for quite a while I can help in trouble shoot incase anyone has queries. Now to a final question, why buy this when Iball baton is available. Well you see that I ball baton and a host of such modems convert 3G modems into wifi spots. Currently, 3G modems are expensive and if you are unsatisfied with the service the modem is not returnable. Its a dead investment. I know leaving aside tata photon all the other 3G modems can be reused with another sim. Whether they give access to settings is something I have not yet researched into. The wifi hot spots, or modems like Micromax MMX 400R offered by Idea, Voda or tata cost a bomb. Its minimum Rs. 5000 and up. I guess this is worth it considering that it is half the cost and does the same, converts the sim into a wifi hotspot. The greatest advantage of such a system is that if one is unsatisfied with the internet service, all one has to do is chuck the sim off and buy a different sim. With 3G modems this is difficult as the modems are non returnable. Once again I strongly recommend this product. It is a must have for tablet owners. Sub Rs. 10000 tablets do not have a sim slot, this fills up the surfing connectivity. You can always carry your personal wifi connection and use it on a multiple devices like mobiles, laptops and pc's. Happy surfing. Incase anyone needs the detailed manual, he can message me.

Hi arvind,I am newbie to this forum can you send the detailed manual to meHi i am newbie to this forumWhether this router can be connected to pc thro data cable for browsing internet?Whether this router works with android low cost tablets like Micromax fun book, Ubislate7+ for browsing internet?What is the use of memory card? While browsing can I download data or video into the memory card?Is there provision to check data usage (sim balance)?

I take your question in the order they appear.
1. The router can be connected to PC using data cable provided. I am right now writing you a reply by connecting the router to PC through data cable.
2. Yes the router can be used with all the tablets, laptops and cellphones. I have used it on Micromax funbook, samsung Galaxy tab, funbook tab, Q 80 cellphone and Sony Vaio laptop.
3. The memory card can be accessed only through the usb cable. It is not necessary for the function of the router. All you can do is store your important files in the router incase you have a memory card in the router. So you router doubles up as a pen drive. Isnt that cool. You can download from the web in the memory card only using usb, note.
4. The overview page gives you information of data uploaded and downloaded in each session. Note it will not make a log, that is once you switch off the details of the session are lost.
Note that I have come to know that there are softwares that will sit in the computer and keep a record of data usage.
On sending the manual, how do I send it to you. Is there any way I can post it on the forum??
Send me your id at arvind_prasad68,at, rediffmail.com.
Do fire your queries to make this forum lively. I will be only happy to answer it.
Hi arvind,
I am newbie to this forum can you send the detailed manual to me

Hi i am newbie to this forum
Whether this router can be connected to pc thro data cable for browsing internet?
Whether this router works with android low cost tablets like Micromax fun book, Ubislate7+ for browsing internet?
What is the use of memory card? While browsing can I download data or video into the memory card?
Is there provision to check data usage (sim balance)?

I take your question in the order they appear.
1. The router can be connected to PC using data cable provided. I am right now writing you a reply by connecting the router to PC through data cable.
2. Yes the router can be used with all the tablets, laptops and cellphones. I have used it on Micromax funbook, samsung Galaxy tab, funbook tab, Q 80 cellphone and Sony Vaio laptop.
3. The memory card can be accessed only through the usb cable. It is not necessary for the function of the router. All you can do is store your important files in the router incase you have a memory card in the router. So you router doubles up as a pen drive. Isnt that cool. You can download from the web in the memory card only using usb, note.
4. The overview page gives you information of data uploaded and downloaded in each session. Note it will not make a log, that is once you switch off the details of the session are lost.
Note that I have come to know that there are softwares that will sit in the computer and keep a record of data usage.
On sending the manual, how do I send it to you. Is there any way I can post it on the forum??
Send me your id at arvind_prasad68,at, rediffmail.com.
Do fire your queries to make this forum lively. I will be only happy to answer it.

Hi arvind thanks a lot for Ur valuable information.I have some more queries.1.Whether this router supports all browsers like internet explorer6.0 or 8.0, fire fox, opera etc?(because product spec shows it supports IE3.0 OR 4.0, SAFARI)2.Product spec shows router works with Windows,Mac etc. hence i am asking is it supports android?3.What is the difference between 3G data card and this?4.Whether this router is successful model and its reviews are good?Post your opinion and excuse me if i asked any silly questions.