Is it easier now to get into IITs?

techtata

Regular
[OP]
Regulars
Oct 27, 2009
Hi,If I am correct the total no of undergraduate seats across all the 15 IITs have gone upto 9600. Around 5.6 lakh students appeared for it. So there is 1 seat for around 58 students. Am I right here? Has it become easier to get into IITs now since there are now more IITS and more seats? Thanks.

manu1991

Ancient Philospher
Regulars
Dec 9, 2006
Delhi
not unless the students are homogeneous over the years, ratio of students joining coaching etc. etc. everything remain unchanged. So yeah, citerus paribus, it is easier to get into an IIT.

svagyan

Regulars
Dec 1, 2008
The raw measure of candidates competing per seat isn't a very useful gauge. As I read in an interview of an IIT-D professor some years ago, there's a steep curve in terms of the calibre of JEE candidates. The first category of 200-300 rankers would have gotten in regardless of the number of surplus seats in excess of 300; the 2nd category of the next 500 would most likely get in, but after that it becomes a crapshoot. It's very possible that a candidate getting a 1200 rank could get a 2500 rank or none at all if a somewhat different test had been set. And then remains the bulk of the candidates with no realistic expectation of qualifying, but who only appear due to social pressure or just for the heck of it. I would bet that almost all of the increased bloat belongs to the last category. The increased seats do probably help those in the 3rd category.

forumguy

Jun 27, 2012
I agree with this.

The raw measure of candidates competing per seat isn't a very useful gauge. As I read in an interview of an IIT-D professor some years ago, there's a steep curve in terms of the calibre of JEE candidates. The first category of 200-300 rankers would have gotten in regardless of the number of surplus seats in excess of 300; the 2nd category of the next 500 would most likely get in, but after that it becomes a crapshoot. It's very possible that a candidate getting a 1200 rank could get a 2500 rank or none at all if a somewhat different test had been set. And then remains the bulk of the candidates with no realistic expectation of qualifying, but who only appear due to social pressure or just for the heck of it. I would bet that almost all of the increased bloat belongs to the last category. The increased seats do probably help those in the 3rd category.