Want to post a question on networking.

• Thread starter Thread starter sony2010
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 888

sony2010

ISP
bsnl
Hi friends,I want to post a question on networking. pls. guide me, in which section shall I post it.

Just directly ask the question! :worthy:

Ok.

I m going to purchase MLP i.e.; multifunction laser printer (3 in 1 OR 4 in 1). I have 2 laptops and one desktop and ZTE wifi router/modem.

The wifi router is on first floor and desktop on gnd. flr. connected with networking cable.

As MLP with wireless lan will be costly so I may opt for MLP with RJ45 (Ethernet) port. I want to keep the MLP near desktop.

The query:
When the PC is on I will not have any problem using MLP from any of my laptops, but I don't want to keep the pc on for whole day and also don't want to keep switching the networking cable between these two.

Any solution?:Read:

Ok.

I m going to purchase MLP i.e.; multifunction laser printer (3 in 1 OR 4 in 1). I have 2 laptops and one desktop and ZTE wifi router/modem.

The wifi router is on first floor and desktop on gnd. flr. connected with networking cable.

As MLP with wireless lan will be costly so I may opt for MLP with RJ45 (Ethernet) port. I want to keep the MLP near desktop.

The query:
When the PC is on I will not have any problem using MLP from any of my laptops, but I don't want to keep the pc on for whole day and also don't want to keep switching the networking cable between these two.

Any solution?:Read:

If the MLP has an RJ45 port, it should not require the desktop to be on as it would be a network printer - you wouldn't need to plug it in to the desktop for it to work, so that shouldn't be a problem anyway.

The simplest solution to the cabling problem is to spend another Rs5-600 or so on a switch & 2 short network cables.

Also, is there a reason you can't move the WiFi router - assuming it has 4 Ethernet ports on it - or does it cause wifi range problems?

Thanks for quick reply. Yes the wifi router have 4 RJ45 ports but if I move it to ground floor then there is almost no range in some of my rooms on 1st floor.I don't know much about switch, can it solve the problem? Because the wifi router will assign one ip to the lan port to which it is connected (because only one cable is coming down to ground floor). How will it work?:welcoming:

If your router is in PPPoE mode, it should work.

Thanks for quick reply.

Yes the wifi router have 4 RJ45 ports but if I move it to ground floor then there is almost no range in some of my rooms on 1st floor.

I don't know much about switch, can it solve the problem? Because the wifi router will assign one ip to the lan port to which it is connected (because only one cable is coming down to ground floor). How will it work?:welcoming:

Yes, a switch will solve the problem, I will 100% confirm that.

The router doesn't assign an IP address to the LAN port (only managed devices do that, so unless you've spent a couple thousand dollars on yours, it's not managed), it assigns an IP address to the device(s) which are connected.

A switch is kind of like a splitter, but slightly more intelligent. You can technically connect as many devices as you like to each of yours router's LAN ports using multiple small switches or a few big ones, though that would become a horrible hodge-podge of un-manageability very quickly - so by "as many as you like" we really mean "as many as you like within reason" - but for you this is not a concern.

In your case, since there would be two devices connected, both the desktop PC and the printer will get an IP address each, and the only thing is that the bandwidth on the cable going upstairs is shared between your PC and the printer.

And I'm not talking that each device gets half the bandwidth (as mentioned, it's a little more intelligent than that) but that both devices are capable of using that single cable at the same time thanks to the switch.

(Excuse the bad explanation, but I'm too lazy to think of a better way to word it right now).