How to make wifi work in my desktop

Nitish Sharma

Hey I have a windows 7 home basic desktop (Dell inspiron) and have a Galaxy ace.My father got an internet connection from mtnl and it is connected only to the pc (wired modem kind of thing) and I told my father that I need a wifi connection.The internet is in the trial period (first 2 months) and they said that we can change from wired to wireless connection or vice-versa and I need a connection after these two months (they are almost over) which can be shared by my computer as well as my android. But when I tried to search for wifi in my android, I found many password protected wifi connections and when I did the same in my pc, I found no connection. I asked many of my friends but noone could answer. And today while surfing the internet, I saw that a wireless card is needed in my pc to catch a wireless connection.Please can anyone here tell me where to get it and also what kind of net do I need from mtnl (if there is something specific).Please just don't try explaining me each variety of cards, I just want you to mainly tell me where should I get it (I live in north delhi).I also don't know where my question should have been asked so please suggest so that i could get better answers.

I can also do a thing like I could use a wifi all the time on my phone and use the modem to connect to the internet on my pcI it's possible

What you can do is buy a Wifi Router like THIS or THIS.

Connect the cable from the modem to the router, and use another cable from the router to your desktop. You would need to configure the wireless settings on the router. You can connect to the wifi signals of this from your mobile.

Or you can ask MTNL to provide an ADSL+Wifi modem like THIS to eliminate the need of a separate router.

Get a WiFi Modem cum Router (4 port LAN + WiFi)It seems you have 2 Desktop PC's you can connect both PC's via 2 separate LAN cables.Connect the Android phone via WiFi.Be sure to use password protected WiFi setup.

TBH, since you dont want to get into the mess of installing everything etc. just call MTNL and tell them you want a wifi router. they'll come and replace your modem with a wifi enabled one. then you can access internet via wifi on your phone.

So can I use wired connection in desktop and wireless in phone?(vrij all your words went from above of my head)

Let me simplify this for you.

Case 1:

Regular Modem:

Current Modem + New Wifi Router > Connect to Desktop using cable from router and mobile using wifi.

Current Modem + New Wifi Router + New USB Wifi Adapter > Connect to Desktop and mobile using wifi.

Case 2:

New Wifi Modem:

New Wifi Modem > Connect to Desktop using cable from router and mobile using wifi.

New Wifi Modem + New USB Wifi Adapter > Connect to Desktop and mobile using wifi.

Ok I got it and I have just one desktop and by the way Vrij, what would be better, wifi for both the things(I'll have to buy a wifi adapter) or wired connection in desktop and wifi in phone (No extra expense0

That really depends on how your place is wired and where your desktop is placed. If you intend to keep the desktop at the same place as it is now, I see no reason to buy a usb adapter.

Ok I got it and I have just one desktop and by the way Vrij, what would be better, wifi for both the things(I'll have to buy a wifi adapter) or wired connection in desktop and wifi in phone (No extra expense0

Wired for desktop and wifi for phone.

You also save clutter by having a single Wifi modem.