New to Broadband in India

• Thread starter Thread starter chino
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2
  • Views Views 1,581

chino

Hi,I am based in benaulim, goa and as far as i am aware there is only Sify that can provide me with a broadband connection, so all i am after is what is Sify like? As from reading through the posts there seems to be a mixed view. The support seems to be rubbish though the connection can be good in some areas. So does anyone use there wifi connection (LOS) and what's it like?what speeds do i pay for vs what should i get? If i go over the max usage do they cut my connection? Am i able to run a server from this connection with at least one static public IP address?Does anyone know of any good providers in this area?Are the connections filtered by MAC addresses? (IE only one PC can be connectioned)When the connection is installed is this just an ethernet connection? (IE that i can connect to a switch / router / Hub and then run a wireless network off?)Sorry i know there are alot of questions though as i am not from India (the UK and used to work for an ISP) and i would like to find out what the overall service is like.Thanks in advance...Chino.>>>>> UpdateOnce last question (well for now) are there any ports blocked?

if u go over the max usage either a day is deducted frm ur validity or ur speeds r capped it depends upon the package u take.no u wont be able to get statuc ip but u can run a server using a service called no-ipjust chek it out , i use it myself.yes connections r filetered by mac adrress but there is a way to use routers , someone posted it a day back , try lookin in forums.its an ethernet connection, if ya want then u can use wireless router.Blocking of ports depend on ur local cable operator. since ur gonna use a router then i suggest u look into port forwardin if ur CTO blocks some ports.

Thanks ultra vires,I think i need to speak to my local cable opp as i really require no blocked ports as i wish to run a few services from this connection, also i require a static IP address and it might not be all bad as i have just found out that i might be able to get TATA DSL or VSNL (very slow network line??? i have been told by a local so i might have to go to TATA). The problem is that i have a 1mb line at home which should be getting upgraded to 8mb in July and i pay 1244 rp per month for this and i have a block of 8 statip ip addresses and only one port blocked though it seems india is not as advanced (as of yet) to offer this....Chino