TRAI issues Standards of Quality of Service Regulations 2012

ISP
BSNL Fiber 750GB
----------------------------------------------------ADDED----------------------------------------------------

These broadcasters might appeal at SC ,if its implemented, claiming that

the reference to some Supreme Court judgments which had said the restriction on advertisement space in the newspapers would lead to reduction in its revenue which is in violation of Article 19(1)(a) and consumer interest cannot be the only relevant factor for framing a regulation.

Hope that this will get implemented , as far as i see, is bleak , unless TRAI has our support.Please mail to

ap@trai.gov.in

or kindly try to leave a feedback here

-----------------------------------------------------END-----------------------------------------------------

Television channels will not be able to show advertisements for more than twelve minutes in an hour as per the latest regulations issued by the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India today.

In a statement, TRAI said as per the Standards of Quality of Service Regulations 2012, "The duration of advertisements in the TV channels is to be limited to 12 minutes per clock hour."

Any shortfall of advertisement duration in any clock hour cannot be carried over, the telecom regulator said.

TRAI has also specified in its statement that the minimum time gap between any two consecutive advertisement breaks should not be less than 15 minutes while in case of movies, this time gap should be a minimum of 30 minutes.

The conditions shall not apply in case of live broadcast of a sporting event, it said.

"The advertisements during live broadcast of a sporting event should be only during the breaks in the sporting action," the TRAI statement said.

To make the viewer's TV watching experience better TRAI has also specified that advertisements should be only full screen.

"Part-screen and drop-down advertisements would not be permitted," the statement said.

To remove the possibility of an advertiser trying to use a higher sound level to grab attention, TRAI has incorporated another prohibitory regulation.

"The audio level of the advertisements carried in TV channels not to be higher than the audio level of the programmes being broadcast in the channel," the statement said.

Not more than 12 minutes to ads per hour: TRAI to TV channels - The Economic Times

well there have been way too many adds lately on TV.....

I dont think any channel is going to pay heed to this move by TRAI and like you said can they enforce the new rule ??

----------

One more thing they dont say from what date they implement these rules ...

I think tht is why they r there .. Channels need to follow it ..Channels don't follow whenever they r just advisory or guidelines .. But if they r new set of rules then everyone need to follow .. Channels don't have any option in tht case ..

But, does TRAI have the power to enforce this regulation ?

why would they come out with notice if they didn't duh! 😛

Television channels will not be able to show advertisements for more than twelve minutes in an hour as per the latest regulations issued by the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India today.

Since it states that it is a regulation and not guideline, channels will have to follow the rules. 😀
Also the L shaped ads will also go away as it states that only full screen adverts will be allowed! 🙂

Must Read: http://www.trai.gov.in/WriteReadData/WhatsNew/Documents/scan0214may2012.pdf
& http://www.trai.gov.in/WriteReadData/WhatsNew/Documents/Regulation%20on%20duration%20of%20advertisement%20in%20TV%20channels-15-140512.pdf
Specially from page 8

it would be great if they come out with Anti Spam yellow box messages too which show up on Tata Sky and are extremely annoying !

Best news of the day! Seriously these ads have become way too annoying. Hbo was showing 3 minutes ads every 8-10 minutes yesterday. Hope this gets implemented ASAP!

This is just superb! I am actually feeling that this is a dream that i am seeing in the middle of the night? Despite having a strong tea, have i not woken up completely?

This is just superb! I am actually feeling that this is a dream that i am seeing in the middle of the night?

maybe you are still dreaming and your seeing and typing this in your dream 😀

Movies Now will have to shut shop now.Ads in Movie Channels only once every 30 mins.Thats a good start.I feel pay channels must have even less ad time than the alloted 12 mins.