Sri Lanka Premier League set for August this year

• Thread starter Thread starter mhsabir
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 50
  • Views Views 5,335
Waiting for Big Brother's (India's) response.

If indian Tv networks dont show interest ,it will be a flop. India IPL ,corporate biggies for show combined with filmstar attraction took it to a new high.i doubt any cricket playing country can get 10-20% of advt revenue (which pays for everything including foreign dancing girls and lot of useless Tv media hosts!!)

Bangladesh had a botched attempt - Though it got some local views... Not sure, if they would be able to repeat it, Pakistan is trying, so is Sri Lanka. Bangladesh took a bold step in going ahead without India's participation, hoping for the locals presence along with Pakistan's players & also folks for some other countries also coming in. Sri Lanka though do not want to offend India & hence they may have to suffer. India, on the other hand have another problem, they are already being criticized for an overdose - I-P-L + Champions League... Further, if they allow Indian players in any one of the leagues.. then there could be even more backlash. However, it may prove to be a boon for players like Rajat Bhatia, Ajit Agarkar etc who are unlikely to play for India because of limited performances and age factor, but they could help generate some interest in India.

I tried to follow the big bash league but found it to be boring. Later I realised that we are addicted to IPL style of entertainment and hence will not like other tournaments. BPL went unnoticed.Until the Indian cricket public loves a tournament, it will not be commercially viable.

Well... Big Bash - No Indian players, Timings... Are couple of issues... Bangladesh, the qualify of cricket is bound to be worse than I-P-L , excepting foreign players. If we have, say a league , say SLPL where we have 7/8/9 PM matches and each teams have atleast 1-2 Indian players of notable popularity (i.e Dhoni, Sachin, Sehwag etc) and 1-2 players of International popularity (Gayle, Pietersen, De Villiers) and 2-3 Top SL players (Jayawardene, Sanga, Matthews who will all be sure starrers there) .. I am sure, it will get some attention.

----------

So... SLPL has hope(as to even getting Indian viewers), if India supports it. And sponsors who would have been staying from I-P-L because of the costs may consider SLPL as it would be like "poor man's I-P-L"

----------

Whether it will do Indian cricket as such any good, I really doubt.

The quality of Cricket and commentary is good in Big Bash but the point is that the Indian viewer is saturated with so many international matches and IPL, so will he be interested in other leagues? With the viewership of IPL going down even though the matches are even and competitive, that is bad news for SLPL.

Like someone else said, you can only eat that much... Even at unlimited buffet, unless you plan & serve properly, there will be wastage of uneaten food. If each time plays each other once & then we have knockouts.. Everything can be over in about 40 games and 20-25 days... The overdose is the problem.. Big Bash is successful to an extent and also English T20 is doing ok-ish because their primary audience is local & even local sponsors do give some attention... Countries like SL, Pak & Ban depend on global sponsors who will see if they can target the entire south asian region and then go for it. The local sponsors simply do not have the cash resources to power the league & global sponsors will not be keen on a league which will have very limited scope beyond the country where its being played.

I still have my doubts, if it will take off.. But SL might consider going ahead without India's participation. Also, this is going to work on single face-off , 7 teams model - so only 20-25 games over 3 weeks or so. If they can get local sponsors & manage to get local crowds involved ,they would have achieved a starting point.

At the end of the day it is T20 tournament for SL with some foreigners so it shud not be compared with other T20 leagues.Around the same time, England play against South Africa. I guess more ppl will be interested in that...

Correct, other countries like SL, Aus, Ban are looking to replace their local T20 league. Pak, Eng - not sure what they have in mind with their planned T20 leagues... NZ, SA, WI seem happy with their current setup. India has two T20 domestic leagues - being such a comprehensive sized structure of 30 teams which has around 400-500 domestic active players, it will be difficult to simply kill the other domestic league in favor of the I-P-L which mainly features only the Top 50 -60.