India among countries with worst internet connections

• Thread starter Thread starter warthog
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 55
  • Views Views 24,856
India has been ranked at a dismal 115th among 223 countries in terms of average Internet connection speeds. India has an average Internet connection speed of just 772 Kbps compared with the global average of 1.5 Mbps.

At the end of 2008, approximately 19 per cent Internet connections around the world were at speeds greater than 5 Mbps -- a 21 per cent increase over

The average global connection speed at the end of 2007.

This is according to the State of the Internet report, a quarterly study by Akamai Technologies, the US-based Internet content distribution giant.

Country: Average connection speed: % connections over 5 Mbps
1. South Korea: 15 Mbps: 69%
2. Japan: 7 Mbps: 54%
3. Hong Kong: 6.9 Mbps: 38%
4. Romania: 5.7 Mbps: 45%
5. Sweden: 5.6Mbps: 39%
6. Switzerland: 5 Mbps:
7. Netherlands: 4.9 Mbps: 28%
8. Belgioum: 4.7 Mbps: 31%
9. Slovakia: 4.5 Mbps
10. Norway: 4.5 Mbps: 38%

rediff.com: Net connection: The top 10 countries

Points that emerge from this study are:
1. Industrialised western countries are absent.
2. All the ranked countries are small.
5. Singapore is not in the top ten.

Read the comments on Rediff.com :rofl:Btw, thanks for sharing.Now I really dunno what to say. We have already discussed and debated about this like 100s of times!

well most people talk about broadband connection in the USA. this report is for them. usa is doing pretty bad in terms of broadband connectivity. and india being a developing nation and a HUGE one at that. its not easy for similar levels of broadband connectivity here.

I spent the last two months in the US. Internet speeds were amazing. My brother in New York had a cable connection rated at 20Mbps (unlimited). It always gave more than 1.2 MBps (with a capital B), sometimes even 1.8. He paid $20 (plus tax) additional over and above the TV cable service.
My nephew had a 10 Mbps unlimited connection in San Diego and he also paid $20. I stayed with myfriend in Munroe, LA, a small town, and he had 20Mbps unlimited (not sure how much he paid). My neice in Pittsburg had a 10Mbps unlimited cable conneciton for $20 per month. A full 1GB movie took abut 20 min to download

US IS GREAT. THEY HAVE SUCH FANTASTIC SPEEDS AT SUCH LOW PRICE. I downloaded all the movies -- even such oldies as Casblanca (re-engineered). I now have several hundred movies that it will take me two years to see them -- all downloaded in 6 weeks

Before that I was in Itlay in a hotel. They had 10Mbps unlimited conectoin included in the rent.

well the report says it all. large countries have not made it to the top 10. russia, china, canada, US, brazil, australia (six countries larger than india) & seventh india have not made it.but its all about options. in US, you have options ranging from 512 kbps to around 20 mbps or even more & they are all more or less reasonable...in india we hardly have any options regarding price/plans/service quality

Doesn't matter if US is in the list or not. Here's what I'm getting right now from Comcast:

https://www.speedtest.net

For a 60$ a month, I get 2 Set Top Boxes from them offering over a 150 channels, many of them in 1080p resolution + an internet connection which says I should get a minimum of 16mbps and 1mbps upload.

Oh and ofcourse, no such thing as "capped broadband" in US. Go look up any planes from Verizon or Comcast and tell me if you can find any plans with an "data limits" on them. And the plans should be upgraded soon as I've been on the same plan for nearly 2 years now. The Americans here are in fact, a little pissed that Japan can offer a better BB infrastructure, so its a race here.

usa is also the country where you get sued for anything and everything.

lol, no. Its a farce. Just like Americans think they will find snake charmers and elephants in every street in India, Indians think Americans keep sueing each other. Sure there's been some weird cases, but it isn't a big deal. The Consumer first and very responsive Law System in U.S. is what ensures its position as the No.1 Country in the World.

so you are saying that ISPs in the US do not have download limits? you are so wrong. both Comcast and Time Warner Cable are implementing data transfer limits on their unlimited plans. Comcast has a 200GB limit i believe. Time Warner has variable limits 20/40/60GB i think.

so you are saying that ISPs in the US do not have download limits?

you are so wrong. both Comcast and Time Warner Cable are implementing data transfer limits on their unlimited plans.

Comcast has a 200GB limit i believe.

Time Warner has variable limits 20/40/60GB i think.

Really they do? Been on that plan for nearly 2 years now, I'm a heavy Torrent user and a link-removed Premium member...no data limits on me so far. There were some rumors of Comcast limiting connections of those heavy downloaders/uploaders, but that will happen to you in Korea and Japan as well, and besides I don't think they really implemented that yet.

(And if they do that, I can sue them :rofl🙂

When we came here I had a choice to chose between Verizon and Comcast, so in their brochures all it states was internet speed and monthly costs..no such thing as data limits with these 2. Don't know about Warner.

usa being bad in terms of broadband connectivity ,but then also they have FIOS provided by verizon which reaches a speed of 50 mbps.

ahem. we have tata which is claiming to provide 100 mbps connections! just kidding. fios i doubt has extensive coverage in the US market. of course it would grow. but at this point of time american web users are a pretty frustrated lot. lawsuits by mpaa and riaa does not help either.