BlackBerry 10 Updates

• Thread starter Thread starter Jonas
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 99
  • Views Views 9,004
keyboard is impressive. display is mighty impressive. android ics has a shitty keyboard with shitty predictions. and i am amused that android devices still have not got a display similar to what RIM has delivered on their dev unit... excellent resolution on a 4.2 inch display. everything looks great in the above device. the only problem is that it would probably alienate what blackberry people are used to. but it would be good that they would finally have something similar to android to go for.

well the point is that Nokia is competing against android and the only thing they have to offer is a good price. blackberry on the other hand has the advantage of their regular customer base which pays for their devices no matter what they charge. blackberry is not a consumer device. they messed up when they started targeting the consumer market. and they are unlikely to succeed in this market simply because of the alternatives available. funny thing is that with blackberry 10, they just might end up doing that. they might alienate their regular market. i already see a lot of blackberry people annoyed with the changes they made to the blackberry os 7. at least one person i know who currently uses a blackberry has plans to switch to android in the future.

From what I see in a few photos, the BB10 UI will be an enhanced version of the Playbook UI. So, as you say, a regular base is established. Maybe, if the price is right, a few more people will get interested. So many people bought the Playbook when they dropped price by 60% , so obviously, people will go for BB, if the price is right, However, I feel they are going to start by pricing their higher models at 40k and mid range at 25k, and hence loose out.

there lies the problem. RIM cannot make much money by selling Playbook at the prices they are/were selling in the market. the volume is still negligible and negates any benefits. the ecosystem does not exist and is unlikely to exist especially considering a lot of developers do not even bother to release their apps for android... forget windows phone platform. of course, things can change. but the fact remains... webos was an incredibly mature mobile platform but it still failed. blackberry could be heading into the same direction.

you mean tizen? i don't see Nokia making devices with tizen. they are too involved with windows phone and symbian already. tizen is likely to be used by samsung though they already have the bada platform. 😕

But bigger problem for BBM was high pricing and not so powerful hardware to support that. People who use BB will not leave it if the pricing is nicely done.Of course Playbook way does not augur well for BB, since it sold it for too less.WebOs was different, HP spoilt it. Even now it has gud support elsewhere (developers) other than HP.

the problem with bb is that it is not a consumer segment model. people do not like to pay a fee for BIS. unless they change their technical model and ditch BIS and become like other mobile phone manufacturers... they are unlikely to attract the regular consumers. bb never had issues with hardware. it runs just fine on whatever processor RIM ships it with. it is only recently that they have started highlighting the 1+ GHz processors. before android happened, no one cared about the processor and ram in their phones.

I agree that the price drop for Playbook was too much & they maybe had some losses there - But I feel they needed to do it so atleast there are some folks actually have the device for the developers to consider making apps for the device - The Android thing also was a small boost. Playbook Apps are a "decent" number now - Though arguably lot of stuff is still needed for it to be considered competitive. They can ultimately hope to recover some through app sales. What I am suggesting is similar to the contract model in US - A lot of money is made only through subscription of the mobile/data plan than at the time of the sale of the phone. Ofcourse, with the tablet people may just never buy an app - But, ultimately the pricing does & will make a difference. I honestly feel a Playbook launch at around 18-25 (for 16/32/64 GB) with OS2 + Better Android App support , could have been a winner... They overpriced an underdeveloped product and got hit.

The thing that I like about BlackBerry is that no matter how awful their pricing is, they don't over exaggerate the devices.I like BlackBerry.

Certified Quality Apps Coming to App World With $10,000 Revenue Guarantee - BerryReview

"RIM is rolling out a new certification program for a nominal fee that will be run by a totally independent third party that certifies the quality of an app. Apps that have this certification who have earned at least $1,000 on their own and then receive certification will then receive a guarantee from RIM. That guarantee says that they will earn at least $10,000 or RIM will cut them a check themselves."

Thats an aggressive step.. Build a good App - We will make sure you make atleast 10k dollars.