Movies OK - Another Hindi Movie channel from STAR Group?

• Thread starter Thread starter SVK
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 5,652

SVK

twitter.com/svknet
ISP
Jio Fiber, Airtel 5G
Star to launch ‘Movies OK’

I wonder why they want to launch this new movie channel when they have STAR Gold.

I guess it will add up for broadcasting old movies (low cost), and generate some revenue by getting few advertisers onboard.

star gold is used for old movies right? it was not really designed to showcase newer movies.

Right, even I was about to say the same. The thought had come over my mind before that the whole hype about "Golden" era movies when the channel was launched as Star Gold is lost. Zee has multiple movie channels , I believe UTV too ... Sony has now planned to make Max as an movies-only channel instead of sports/movies one. So it was an obvious step. Even I feel, new movies will be shown on the new channel to bring in subscription.

Life OK sucks. Wonder how Movies OK will be better.

Star is a better brand than OK. I guess this is to counter Viacom 18's soon to be launched Bollywood channel or has it been launched already:

Viacom18 Appoints Head For Upcoming Bollywood Movie Channel - The Hollywood Reporter

Also, since Imagine TV is on 'ventilator' right now, Movies OK / Fox Action Movies as part of Star might be the potential replacements.

----------

star gold is used for old movies right? it was not really designed to showcase newer movies.

Not anymore, ever since they changed their logo few months ago and also offer an HD feed.

Haven't you noticed movies like Dabangg, Singham on Star Gold more often than on their GEC Star Plus?

It was launched targeting old movies. But immediately after 1-2 years of launch, it switched to new movies channel.

Zee has multiple movie channels, so STAR too can have 🙂

i thought star preferred to show latest movies on star plus or star one as a one off. i do not remember them using star gold to show any of the newer movies that come on television within weeks of launch.

All groups Star, Zee and Sony premiere new movies on their GEC channel first, then later broadcast on their movies channel. Recent example is "Dirty Picture" planned by SONY, which never happened. In past as well all hit movies were broadcast on GEC first (or simultaneously broadcast on GEC and movies channel).

^You feel so because of the news channel thing - That was a total different reason. Policy meant they could only a smaller share in news channels, and hence they were being overruled in decisions by a smaller but a bigger shareholding partner. Here that is not the case. This might be a move to counter new movie channels and hope it eats into other channels share - Might also be driven by the fact that they now have enough content to keep running old & new movies 24x7x2 channels.

I think Star is wanting to hive off its Indian business into a separate corporation, and these are part of the same changes.

Unlikely. They're exiting news due to editorial conflict and managing Ad Sales for NDTV (which was not taken well by ABP).

Also, if Star were to exit, Viacom, Zee, Sony, UTV, Reliance Mediaworks would be the happiest of the entire lot.

Star is also performing very well in India..so how can you even make such a point? Exit makes a lot more sense for Imagine TV than Star.

Movies OK will begin May 6. Aamir's show on Star Plus starts on same day too.

Star India to launch Movies OK in May | News | Rapid TV News

Indiantelevision.com > News Headlines > Star to launch Movies Ok on 6 May
Movies Ok, the second channel from Star India under the 'Ok' banner, is being readied for launch on 6 May coinciding with the start of the Aamir Khan show Satyamev Jayate.
Star, the parent company of Movies Ok, had earlier rebranded its youth-focussed Hindi general entertainment channel Star One as Life Ok, giving it a distinct content identity after its new launch.
Movies Ok will be positioned as a family movie channel and will be headed by Star Gold general manager Hemal Jhaveri with a separate team being carved out for it.

Family movie channel? So may be they wont broadcast movies like Murder or Dirty Picture 😀

Does anybody watch Movies OK channel regularly here? I dont watch regularly, but tune to it if some good movie is going on.
Last week Sanjeev Kumar's Angoor movie was played on Movies OK. But after some time there came commercial break. Advertisements were there for 10-15 minutes. I thought ads will soon stop and movie would resume, but ads were coming for 10 minutes continuously. Then I changed channel and came back again after 5 minutes, still movie was not started!
When is TRAI making 12-minute-per-hour ad-cap mandatory?

October 1. And yes its by far the worst movie channel as far as ads are concerned. Jodhaa Akbar's run time was almost 4.45 hours. :O Who would sit for such a long duration? Beats Zee Cinema hands down.