Movies OK - Another Hindi Movie channel from STAR Group?

SVK

svknet.wordpress.com
[OP]
Regulars
Jan 19, 2007
svknet.wordpress.com
Star to launch ‘Movies OK’

I wonder why they want to launch this new movie channel when they have STAR Gold.

I guess it will add up for broadcasting old movies (low cost), and generate some revenue by getting few advertisers onboard.

mhsabir

Xclusive
Regulars
Oct 7, 2006
Chennai
Right, even I was about to say the same. The thought had come over my mind before that the whole hype about "Golden" era movies when the channel was launched as Star Gold is lost. Zee has multiple movie channels , I believe UTV too ... Sony has now planned to make Max as an movies-only channel instead of sports/movies one. So it was an obvious step. Even I feel, new movies will be shown on the new channel to bring in subscription.

AvidWatcher

Regulars
Regulars
May 6, 2006
Life OK sucks. Wonder how Movies OK will be better.

Star is a better brand than OK. I guess this is to counter Viacom 18's soon to be launched Bollywood channel or has it been launched already:

Viacom18 Appoints Head For Upcoming Bollywood Movie Channel - The Hollywood Reporter

Also, since Imagine TV is on 'ventilator' right now, Movies OK / Fox Action Movies as part of Star might be the potential replacements.

----------

star gold is used for old movies right? it was not really designed to showcase newer movies.

Not anymore, ever since they changed their logo few months ago and also offer an HD feed.

Haven't you noticed movies like Dabangg, Singham on Star Gold more often than on their GEC Star Plus?

SVK

svknet.wordpress.com
[OP]
Regulars
Jan 19, 2007
svknet.wordpress.com
star gold is used for old movies right? it was not really designed to showcase newer movies.
It was launched targeting old movies. But immediately after 1-2 years of launch, it switched to new movies channel.

Zee has multiple movie channels, so STAR too can have :)

Sushubh

Administrator
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
i thought star preferred to show latest movies on star plus or star one as a one off. i do not remember them using star gold to show any of the newer movies that come on television within weeks of launch.

SVK

svknet.wordpress.com
[OP]
Regulars
Jan 19, 2007
svknet.wordpress.com
All groups Star, Zee and Sony premiere new movies on their GEC channel first, then later broadcast on their movies channel. Recent example is "Dirty Picture" planned by SONY, which never happened. In past as well all hit movies were broadcast on GEC first (or simultaneously broadcast on GEC and movies channel).

mhsabir

Xclusive
Regulars
Oct 7, 2006
Chennai
^You feel so because of the news channel thing - That was a total different reason. Policy meant they could only a smaller share in news channels, and hence they were being overruled in decisions by a smaller but a bigger shareholding partner. Here that is not the case. This might be a move to counter new movie channels and hope it eats into other channels share - Might also be driven by the fact that they now have enough content to keep running old & new movies 24x7x2 channels.