C

chetan31

[OP]
guys pls suggest

rajnusker

Regular
Regulars
Mar 12, 2012
There's a CDMA model of 4S (not sure if available in India), but it is carrier locked (as far as I know it cannot be unlocked unlike GSM).. So a particular CDMA iPhone will only support SIM of that network operator with which is has been locked to. I don't know if any Indian Network offers CDMA locked iPhone with their SIM..

x720

Incoherent Poster
Regulars
Aug 14, 2011
Gurgaon | Mumbai
Yes, it will work. iPhone 4S supports both GSM and cdma. You'll need to get the meid and esn registered on the network though.

IndianMascot

Addicts
Regulars
Jun 17, 2011
If iPhone 4S works on MEID architecture, then it will work. Thanks @ X720. It slipped from my mind.

rajnusker

Regular
Regulars
Mar 12, 2012
Yes, it will work. iPhone 4S supports both GSM and cdma. You'll need to get the meid and esn registered on the network though.

I don't know what a MEID and ESN is.. But I'm curious to learn.. But according to your post does that means a GSM only iPhone will work with CDMA? That's sound crazy.

C

chetan31

[OP]
what is MEID or ESN bhai? how flexible it would be to do the registration? is it done hassle free in india?

IndianMascot

Addicts
Regulars
Jun 17, 2011
Gt some Simple Definition on Wiki :)

MEID : A mobile equipment identifier (MEID) is a globally unique number identifying a physical piece of CDMA mobile station equipment. The number format is defined by the 3GPP2 report S.R00 but in practical terms it can be seen as an IMEI but with hexadecimal digits.

ESN : Electronic serial numbers (ESNs) were created by the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to uniquely identify mobile devices. ESNs are currently mainly used with CDMA phones compared to International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI) numbers used by all GSM phones.

I guess its simple to understand. Now difference between ESN & MEID is :

In handsets having ESN, it can be used by only one operator and these type of handset can't be unlocked to use on another operator.

In handset having MEID, mostly tehre is a SIM Card Slot. So, any CDMA operator Sim card can be used in these kind of handset. Even Handsets not having Sim Card Slots can be used with different operators if necessary firmware is supported by the CDMA Operator.

P.S: MEID Sim Card Slot & GSM Sim Card Slots are different.

x720

Incoherent Poster
Regulars
Aug 14, 2011
Gurgaon | Mumbai
IPhone 4S is a global Phone, right ? GSM + CDMA. I'm saying this because the Verizon iPhone is available on eBay india registered to reliance.

manu1991

Ancient Philospher
Regulars
Dec 9, 2006
Delhi
AFAIK, the ones Verizon sell don't have a SIM card slot.edit: that might be incorrect