Please suggest a decent wi-fi range extender / repeater and if it works both ways wirelessly

• Thread starter Thread starter VivR
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 12,131

VivR

searcher
ISP
Airtel, MTNL and Reliance
I have an Airtel Internet connection at home. The device provided by Airtel is a wifi modem-cum-router - BEETEL ADSL2+ ROUTER 450TC1. The problem with this device is it does not reach to entire flat even it is just 2 BHK flat. It is kept in the hall (middle room) but its signal either gets weak or no signal at all as soon as i go to another room and try to access internet on my mobiles/laptop via wifi.

Therefore, the only feasible solution seem to me for it is putting a new wifi range extender/repeater router in another room.

My question is : does the new roouter (repeater) has to be connected to the Beetel one with LAN wire (i would not want it since it will require a lot of wiring at home which is not feasible to be done currently)? Or, if a repeater/wifi extender can connect (input signal) wirelessly from another router, how come will it output the same internet wirelessly from the same antenna?

Therefore, can anyone please clear the doubt and recommend any such wifi range extender/repeater router (under Rs. 2,000) which can both input and output internet wirelessly (wifi)?

By the way, i have seen a couple of repeaters on ebay - 1. ASUS RT-N10 EZ N Wireless-N DSL Router 150 Mbps Uni Repeater. 2. TP-Link WA730RE 150Mbps Wireless N Range Extender AP Bridge Repeater. However, i am not getting from their details if they can connect wirelessly both ways or not.

Thanks!

As long as they can run dd wrt, you can use it is repeater.The Asus can easily cover your entire flat. Use the 450tc1 as a mod only.

Doesn't have to run DD-WRT - the little Netgear WGR614 that we normally recommend repeats WiFi.Personally though, I always recommend a connecting the two via LAN cable unless it simply isn't possible to put one - it's just better.

Hi x720!

Thanks for your reply!

As long as they can run dd wrt, you can use it is repeater.

Unfortunately, beetal 450tc1 is not in the supported list of DD wrt. And even if the Asus or any repeater does run dd wrt, I do not know if only one supporting it (and beetal 450tc1 is not) will do the trick or not. I think for this to work out both main router and repeater should be supporting dd wrt or i may be wrong.

The Asus can easily cover your entire flat. Use the 450tc1 as a mod only.

That is a good work-around, however, i would like to see first if my way could be worked out because in that case i will have LAN options available in both rooms (the current beteel router is providing internet to Tata Sky thru LAN) apart from a better coverage.

Do you need LAN in both rooms ?The beetel can continue providing LAN to TS. Just switch the wireless radio off of the beetel. And, no both routers need not run dd wrt, only the one that has to behave as repeater needs dd wrt . Also, as mg pointed out, Asus too supports repeater mode in its native firmware (not sure about the N10) . Also, in terms of range, Asus > Netgear > TP-Link. If you up your budget by 400 more, you can get the Buffalo Infiniti WHR 300 available on flipkart for 2400 bucks. Nice router, covers my 2500 sq ft quite efficiently.

Hi mgcarley!

Thanks for ur reply!

Doesn't have to run DD-WRT - the little Netgear WGR614 that we normally recommend repeats WiFi.

R u sure Netgear WGR614 has repeating function and can connect to some other router such as beetel 450tc1 wirelessly? As far as i can see Netgear WGR614 does not seem to have any repeater/repeating function.

Personally though, I always recommend a connecting the two via LAN cable unless it simply isn't possible to put one - it's just better.

I know connecting thru LAN is always a better choice... but as you can understand running wires around does not aesthetically look good.

Hi mgcarley!

Thanks for ur reply!

R u sure Netgear WGR614 has repeating function and can connect to some other router such as beetel 450tc1 wirelessly? As far as i can see Netgear WGR614 does not seem to have any repeater/repeating function.

According to the router I'm looking at right now, it does. You tell it the MAC address of the router whose signal you want to repeat and it goes from there. I *think* that the other router needs also to support this function so that they can talk to each other.

I know connecting thru LAN is always a better choice... but as you can understand running wires around does not aesthetically look good.

Not if you do it properly... I'm not talking about slinging a cable over the nearest hook/screw/nail - you can get special cable nails that attach to the wall and hold the cable in little plastic hooks quite nicely, like so: http://www.allproducts.com/ee/kss/31-nail_cable_clip-l.jpg