Btcache in Kolkata. ISP's offering high download speeds

A few corrections - the guys behind Extreme Networks are Bulgarian but that's about it - the technology wasn't invented by them. Also, Bulgaria is among the top in the world for Internet speeds, very near Romania which is home to the fastest city in Europe (Constanta), and with very cheap prices (per megabit) - but not as a result of torrent caching.Also, 5PB would equal at about 1,250 servers worth of storage... just a tad more than most ISPs have. Most of the arrays I've priced are capable of around 60TB in a single cluster, or some 15 2U servers (basically, a rack).Otherwise the rest is pretty good.

A few corrections - the guys behind Extreme Networks are Bulgarian but that's about it - the technology wasn't invented by them.

Also, Bulgaria is among the top in the world for Internet speeds, very near Romania which is home to the fastest city in Europe (Constanta), and with very cheap prices (per megabit) - but not as a result of torrent caching.

Also, 5PB would equal at about 1,250 servers worth of storage... just a tad more than most ISPs have. Most of the arrays I've priced are capable of around 60TB in a single cluster, or some 15 2U servers (basically, a rack).

Otherwise the rest is pretty good.

Will Hayai's peering work like that? I mean are you guys gonna ask those Bulgarian guys at Extreme Peering? Or will you do it in some other way?

A few corrections - the guys behind Extreme Networks are Bulgarian but that's about it - the technology wasn't invented by them.

Also, Bulgaria is among the top in the world for Internet speeds, very near Romania which is home to the fastest city in Europe (Constanta), and with very cheap prices (per megabit) - but not as a result of torrent caching.

Also, 5PB would equal at about 1,250 servers worth of storage... just a tad more than most ISPs have. Most of the arrays I've priced are capable of around 60TB in a single cluster, or some 15 2U servers (basically, a rack).

Otherwise the rest is pretty good.

Yeah I know the guys behind extreme peering are from Bulguria.They started their business by tieing up with ANI networks in Delhi, Alliance in Kolkata and Railtel in Bangalore.I know two of them very well Plamen Petkov and Victor Francess and they have been freindly in answering queries.

5PB was a maybe point. According to Victor Alliance has 30TB NAS setup for this

im from hyderabad, my isp is Beam. i c btcache too. my cousin from Gurgaon also using btcache. now i understand y is it so fast. v.v. coooool!

Will Hayai's peering work like that? I mean are you guys gonna ask those Bulgarian guys at Extreme Peering? Or will you do it in some other way?

They are very very interested in working with us - I met them in February when they last came to Mumbai. Fivenet is also getting this (or has got, I haven't checked the status).

As of now, however, it doesn't, and the torrent speeds people get are just due to the amount of available bandwidth (so, their solution will save me bandwidth). The main difference between us and other ISPs is that we're facilitating user-user transfers as well, not necessarily having a SAN, so this solution will add to the things that we're implementing to make the network as speedy and congestion-free as possible.

Yeah I know the guys behind extreme peering are from Bulguria.They started their business by tieing up with ANI networks in Delhi, Alliance in Kolkata and Railtel in Bangalore.I know two of them very well Plamen Petkov and Victor Francess and they have been freindly in answering queries.

5PB was a maybe point. According to Victor Alliance has 30TB NAS setup for this

Sounds a bit better.

According to Victor Alliance has 30TB NAS setup for this

So is it the total capacity of btcache peer? Does that means only 30TB of data are there which can be downloaded at high speed? 30TB is very less, as there may be many similar files of different quality like (TV shows), etc..

And also the first user to download a file (not stored on btcache) gets low speed right? Is that first user has to be a Alliance user? I don't quite get it.. Exactly how many people are there using Alliance Broadband? If only Alliance users contribute in peering than there couldn't be too much of data for us to enjoy in peering right?

So is it the total capacity of btcache peer? Does that means only 30TB of data are there which can be downloaded at high speed? 30TB is very less, as there may be many similar files of different quality like (TV shows), etc..

30TB isn't bad, actually - that equates to nearly 100mbit/s of bandwidth, which is a net saving of several lakh rupees, which allows them to keep prices down. Plus, it's dynamic - old content that isn't getting accessed anymore gets purged to make way for new stuff.

And also the first user to download a file (not stored on btcache) gets low speed right? Is that first user has to be a Alliance user? I don't quite get it.. Exactly how many people are there using Alliance Broadband? If only Alliance users contribute in peering than there couldn't be too much of data for us to enjoy in peering right?

Yes, Alliance's installation is for Alliance users benefit, not the benefit of people on other ISPs. In theory only Alliance users are supposed to be able to access it, but in some setups I'm not so sure.

The company does sell it's platform to other ISPs, including Beam, Act, Fivenet and others so ISPs who have got the system in their networks can also give their users a good experience. Airtel, BSNL, MTNL & Reliance could *really* use this system on a large scale but... yeah.

Well this 30TB is actually when for the first time Alliance started btcache, that is 11months ago, I guess by the time being they have upgraded the Network Storage when users started to flood. Its actually network storage hard drives attached to racks with greater transfer speeds. Something like this I Guess Correct Me If I am Wrong

http://www.erodov.com/forums/attachments/photo-21-04-12-10-53-27-am.jpg-26586d1334986549
http://www.erodov.com/forums/attachments/photo-21-04-12-10-54-17-am.jpg-26587d1334986549

With the increase in content I think now they have added more NAS to their racks. And also for the first when user is downloading a file if at the same time other users also downloading the same movie or file then every users get increased download speeds.Its like i download some chunks and share at Lan speed in torrent to other Alliance user and he does the same vice versa. Everytime btcache is not needed. And if any user seeds a particular torrent who is on the same network then also user will get above 800KBps transfer rate on Utorrent even if it isn't in caching

----------

Plus, it's dynamic - old content that isn't getting accessed anymore gets purged to make way for new stuff.

Yeah Pretty much true :Boy Thumb Up: But they have a seperate movie server filmocean.net which is visible through any ISP but download button only gets visible in Alliance and every movie is present there whether its old or new. Download is through torrent so that they dont face legal issues and in peers only alliance btcache ips will be visible like 10.240.254.xx.They have seperate NASes with private ips allocated for storing those movies.

30TB isn't bad, actually - that equates to nearly 100mbit/s of bandwidth, which is a net saving of several lakh rupees, which allows them to keep prices down. Plus, it's dynamic - old content that isn't getting accessed anymore gets purged to make way for new stuff.

Yes, Alliance's installation is for Alliance users benefit, not the benefit of people on other ISPs. In theory only Alliance users are supposed to be able to access it, but in some setups I'm not so sure.

The company does sell it's platform to other ISPs, including Beam, Act, Fivenet and others so ISPs who have got the system in their networks can also give their users a good experience. Airtel, BSNL, MTNL & Reliance could *really* use this system on a large scale but... yeah.

May be not bad, but honestly 30TB could be filled up in not too much time.. How do they manage up when the server gets filled up? Alliance has been offering this (peering plans) for quite sometime now, I have gone through the forum and in not much time found most users to download 100's of GB in a month.. If you do the math, 30TB could be filled up in a flash.. Do they delete old data off the server to balance the limits? I haven't seen Meghbela offer peering plans 😕

@Siddhartha Dutta You seem to be decent downloader on your own, tell me the probability of you searching and downloading something you need and then you found out that the file is peered?

Well this 30TB is actually when for the first time Alliance started btcache, that is 11months ago, I guess by the time being they have upgraded the Network Storage when users started to flood. Its actually network storage hard drives attached to racks with greater transfer speeds. Something like this

These hard drives and their system are pretty much completely different, except for the hard-drive component itself. The system has some very cool and very configurable software involved which allows the sysadmin to finetune what/how much/for how long etc files should be stored. The hard drives in these pictures are simply so you can download stuff while your computer is off or your laptop is not at home... I believe some of them have web interfaces so you could theoretically add a torrent to your download queue before leaving work and it would be done when you reached home so you can immediately put your feet up and plug it in to your Ethernet (or USB) ready TV.

...both are cool, but for different reasons 🙂

With the increase in content I think now they have added more NAS to their racks. And also for the first when user is downloading a file if at the same time other users also downloading the same movie or file then every users get increased download speeds.Its like i download some chunks and share at Lan speed in torrent to other Alliance user and he does the same vice versa. Everytime btcache is not needed. And if any user seeds a particular torrent who is on the same network then also user will get above 800KBps transfer rate on Utorrent even if it isn't in caching

I doubt they've needed to add more storage as yet - that would just be unnecessary expenditure on their part since they're not aiming to archive everything that every single user downloads, just the commonly accessed stuff. What I've often seen on my network is that when myself and someone else is downloading the same file at the same time, then his client will download some chunks from abroad, and mine will download some other chunks also from abroad, and then we'll share each others chunks at high speeds (being local peers) which results in 100% of filesize being downloaded (so say, a 1GB file means between 2 or more users, I've actually only used 1GB of my International bandwidth instead of having to have downloaded it twice or more).

^^ They started with a 30TB setup. Assuming now they have upgraded considering the fact too many users have joined the peering group.

May be not bad, but honestly 30TB could be filled up in not too much time.. How do they manage up when the server gets filled up? Alliance has been offering this (peering plans) for quite sometime now, I have gone through the forum and in not much time found most users to download 100's of GB in a month.. If you do the math, 30TB could be filled up in a flash.. Do they delete old data off the server to balance the limits? I haven't seen Meghbela offer peering plans 😕

Read the passage you quoted again 😉

As mentioned: Plus, it's dynamic - old content that isn't getting accessed anymore gets purged to make way for new stuff.

@Siddhartha Dutta You seem to be decent downloader on your own, tell me the probability of you finding and downloading something you need and findout the file is peered?

In my experience, it's pretty random. Files which receive a lot of attention are more likely to be stored but it's not always guaranteed, and, the older the torrent, the less likely it will be stored. You can't really find out what's peered until your torrent client talks to the tracker and/or exchanges peer information.

Got info from Alliance employee facebook page this is the server they use :iomg:

Need detail info from mg carley on this :eyeroll:

----------

@Siddhartha Dutta You seem to be decent downloader on your own, tell me the probability of you searching and downloading something you need and then you found out that the file is peered?

well they have a site called TorBox.net which gives a full list of all the files which are in peering and I can view/search it from there making it easier

^^ They started with a 30TB setup. Assuming now they have upgraded considering the fact too many users have joined the peering group.

Yeah, I hope they did.. Btw what is your upload speed in torrents?

Read the passage you quoted again 😉

As mentioned: [/FONT][/COLOR]

In my experience, it's pretty random. Files which receive a lot of attention are more likely to be stored but it's not always guaranteed, and, the older the torrent, the less likely it will be stored. You can't really find out what's peered until your torrent client talks to the tracker and/or exchanges peer information.

Thanks for the clarification..
I have talked with Alliance a couple of days ago, they said about TorBox.net.. According to them ONLY whatever is listed on that site is peered.. Suppose I download a file XYZ for the first time and it gets cached to the server so does that means the file will be automatically listed on Torbox?