MTNL Broadband: need best wifi router !!!!!

• Thread starter Thread starter suraj_singh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 59
  • Views Views 27,979
Umm, are you certain on getting a combo ? If so, I'll look around, most Asus stuff allows you to load a transmission daemon onto it. But, the one mentioned on the previous page doesn't allow you to do so.

uh, sorry for hijackthing the thread. Is there any modem+router available that supports torrent downloading?

Supports torrent downloading? I thought as long as you have an internet connection, you can download anything..could you clarify the technical aspects of whatever you are asking?

----------

Yes, modem router combo will not work with FTTH. Also, in the event that your device does get spoilt, you'll have to buy a combo once again. If the two (modem and router) are separate, chances of both failing together are quite limited

Oh, so if the modem gets spoilt, then yeah the router would be useless. So Asus DSL-N10E will not be a good buy..can Sanke share his thoughts on this modem, since he has it?

Actually, I want to get rid of the Rs 50 cost per month..so you are suggesting that I buy them separately? Which?

mtnl auto refreshed the ip every six hours or so.

Too bad replacing the MTNL provided router doesn't solve the problem. Do you face the same x720? If not, what have you done to rectify the issue?

Thanks for all your help!

Supports torrent downloading? I thought as long as you have an internet connection, you can download anything..could you clarify the technical aspects of whatever you are asking?

Certain routers have built in torrent downloaders like rtorrent or libtorrent etc. so you can connect a usb drive, upload the torrent file and it will be downloaded without the need of your PC. saves a lot of power.

@x720 - Among standalone routers, which'd be the cheapest one with N150 support.

@AvidWatcher

sanke1 has rt n56u.
Yes, I was suggesting that you buy them seperately. I've posted an eBay for the mtnl 450tc1 modem. Have a look at that. 785 bucks.
I do not have mtnl (except 3G). bsnl dsl refreshes the IP every 24 hours or so, not an issue for me.

@manu1991

So, you're looking for something that supports the 802.11n standard (N150 does not necessarily mean that it supports 802.11n, many routes are labeled n150, but do not support 802.11n) and offers 150mbps ofthroughput, while at the same time allowing you to download torrents.

If you can live without 802.11n and 150 mbps, grab this - Asus WL-520gU EZ Wireless DSL Router with All-in-One Printer Server 3 yr Warrant | eBay

1400 bucks, supports b/g and 54 mbps, but at the price and the features it offers, its well worth it. There is a thread on TE about setting this up with a torrent daemon. Range should not be an issue, unless you've got a multi story house, used to cover my apartment just fine.
Though, call the seller and confirm about availability of stock before ordering.

TP-Link also has some stuff with usb but the documentation is obscure, and Asus quality is much better anyway.

I have a G based router and the range is insufficient which is primarily why I am looking for an N based one. I didnt get your point about "N150 does not necessarily mean that it supports 802.11n, many routes are labeled n150, but do not support 802.11n". the G standard supports only upto 54mbps. So anything more than that has to be the N standard. from what I know 150mbps was 802.11n standard draft 1 whereas draft 2 was 300mbps.

Check out Asus RT-N13U.------------Sorry, my bad. That's just a router, no built in modem.As far as I know, there are no ADSL wireless routers available which supports torrent downloading.

Buffalo labels some of its routers as N150 and having 150mbps speeds, yet they support only wireless 802.11g. I'm certain Belkin also does the same. Hence my statement. Yes, g supports a Max of 54mbps, I've no idea why these routers are labelled as n150.Now coming to the routers, you could look at. Asus rt n13 u - 2.7k on flipkart.Netgear wnr2200 - 3.5k on eBayDlink and buffalo too have USB support but those devices are expensive and not available here. TP-Link has a router with USB support for 1.7k (mr220, I think), but I'm not sure about installing transmission onto it.

Nevermind. Ordered a Pogoplug. Will use that for downloading as well as NAS. I have my doubts regarding router based downloading as they only seem to have ~32mb of RAM. I don't think they'd be able to handle more than 3-4 torrents at once.

I also have Asus DSL-N10E at my office. So far it's been stable since 2 weeks. No reboots required. But after firmware update, I am not able to do port forwarding. The UI section in web interface went missing. Hopefully future update adds port forwarding feature back in. uPnP is working so no problem there.

Seem to have missed this thread. manu1991, it'd be nice, if you'd do some sort of review of the pogoplug or just a brief user experience post 😉

I also have Asus DSL-N10E at my office. So far it's been stable since 2 weeks. No reboots required. But after firmware update, I am not able to do port forwarding. The UI section in web interface went missing. Hopefully future update adds port forwarding feature back in. uPnP is working so no problem there.

Hi sanke1,

I also have Asus DSL N10E and I am trying to use it with my Airtel connection but connection is never stable and most of the time it doesn't even connect. I tried to diagnose ADSL but the diagnostics failed. If possible can you help me and run diagnostics on your ADSL and see the values of SNR ?

Thanks,
Akshay

Thanks. Which Belkin Wi-fi Router would you recommend for MTNL? I'm from Mumbai.

I saw MTNL guys carrying beetel 450tc1 , This is low price and probably best option, cuz MTNL uses it to give on lease to all customers

I would say go for Linksys WIFI Router, have the same at my office for over 1+ year and works like a charm with Good range.

Ps - I have Netgear N150 which is also working Good.

they both work with MTNL Internet??