Do you own a Smartphone or "Smarter" phone?

• Thread starter Thread starter SVK
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 9
  • Views Views 2,117

SVK

twitter.com/svknet
ISP
Jio Fiber, Airtel 5G
Nokia didn’t have any smartphones until late 2011. Only smarter phones. And what’s a smartphone anyway?

After Nokia issued a profit warning last week, I was trying to wrap my head around the steepness of its decline in smartphones. And then I realized that we’ve been looking at this thing the wrong way.
There is no Nokia decline in smartphones, there never was, and there never could have been. Because before the fall of 2011, when they released first Lumia phones, Nokia was never in a smartphone business at all.

What’s a smartphone?

The devices we call smartphones today were invented in 2007. By Apple. The first smartphone ever – was the iPhone. Just like with tablets after the iPad, the category of devices we used to call smartphones before iPhone, seized to be. It should have been folded into a wider “mobile phones” category, where they belonged all along.

“Smartphones” before 2007, were just smarter high-end phones, with apps as another feature among many. Other features included camera, e-mail, limited web browser, wi-fi, GPS, maps, etc;

Before iPhone, there was nothing inherently different between the smartphone and top of the line feature phone. Yes, smartphones could run third-party apps. But so could feature phones. J2ME apps were more limited than native ones, but they still were apps. As were apps on Qualcomm’s BREW platform. The main difference between smartphone and feature phone back then – was the level of access to handset functionality through various APIs. But both of them were still phones. Optimized for their primary purpose – voice calls and SMS messaging.

It’s amazing that for all the talk about smartphones for more than a decade now – nobody came up with a clear definition of what it is. Here’ what Wikipedia has to say about a smartphone today: A smartphone is a mobile phone built on a mobile computing platform, with more advanced computing ability and connectivity, than a feature phone.

Some blog post I guess. But still interesting point about what is Smartphone actually. Do we own Smartphone or just a "Smarter" phone (compared to feature phone).

heh. the smartphones of today are not very smart. they cannot even manage battery consumption on their own. you need to install apps to control other apps and settings so as to prevent the battery consumption. you have to do everything yourself to manage the device. just because it has a camera or a browser or apps, it does not become smart on its own. mobile phone makers are coming out with their own philosophies claiming their devices to be smarter-phones. like motorola and their special app that comes loaded on the razr. if you are going by the definition of the word, smartphone is a very wrong analogy. it is still more of a personal digital assistant and a very dumb one. and anyone who claims that Apple launched the first smartphone in the market (iPhone) is a dumbass. that phone was more crippled than windows mobile devices of its times. symbian based devices are still more capable than ios devices.

Till now I was thinking my "Nokia N95" was a smartphone (it was indeed I guess when it launched). But now I know that it has very less RAM, and it runs on battery which drains off within a day if I keep running apps in background (chat/email/etc).But I think new Android 4.0, WP7 devices are really "Smartphone". Blackberry?

dude your n95 has more capabilities than a typical iPhone or wp7 device. the hardware is relatively very open. you can install apps on it that does not need approval from the phone manufacturer. symbian and android are relatively better placed compared to iOS and Windows Phone platform. a device that requires approval from the manufacturer is not very smart right? 🙂

symbian and android are relatively better placed compared to iOS and Windows Phone platform. a device that requires approval from the manufacturer is not very smart right? 🙂
Now that is new definition for Smartphone 🙂

from what i see the smartphones of today are become dumber by the day. how useful a smartphone of today is without constant internet connectivity?

from what i see the smartphones of today are become dumber by the day. how useful a smartphone of today is without constant internet connectivity?

Hmm true but the phones seem to be smarter than its owners who pay fancy prices to own 'dumb' phones 😡lol then end up :cursing: & maybe :duel: with the manufacturer 😀

well. in the end, a phone is just a tool and how useful it is depends upon how the user ends up using it.

Hmm true but the phones seem to be smarter than its owners who pay fancy prices to own 'dumb' phones 😡lol then end up :cursing: & maybe :duel: with the manufacturer 😀

Lol Good one. I know a lot of smart asses who might not like what you have said. 😀 😀 😀