Have a Look at this and recommend solution .....

• Thread starter Thread starter Nikhil Soni
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 26
  • Views Views 3,131

Nikhil Soni

I am having BSNL 750 ULD plan ....
I have already made previous threads regarding Ping issue and even complained to them by email ...
No resolution is still found 🙁
So I complained in BSNL office and they changed my cable from DP box but condition is still same
And when I told them regarding attenuation values they said that "All we can do is to make ur DSL Stable and net workable and They ignored me " :/
They are saying that Now no more work is to be done in your line and it is working fine....

But the problem has been figured out by me and now I am ready to do something regarding this...
My friend has same 750 plan and he gets pings less than 80 [Google] and

How far away from you does your friend live? The images suggest you are much further from your DSLAM cabinet than your friend is from his: based on his line rate, he's less than 200m from his, your line rate suggests at least a couple of kilometers. If this is the case, there isn't a great deal you can do about this unless/until BSNL puts a new DSLAM cabinet in your area.This distance will of course affect the line stats you've highlighted as well, although yours are pretty much in the acceptable range, although if it does ever show numbers much worse than this then you will have a reason to complain loudly. Your line does have some errors, but given the distance difference, doesn't seem to be anything to write home about.Also, are you using the same DNS servers as your friend? For some reason your trace to Google goes to Mumbai, his to Chennai. This may also affect your route to the CS 1.6 servers.

His tracert goes through a different gateway, perhaps the same gateway issue like last month ? Running some tracerts on bsnl's dns, will report back.

EDIT

Tracing route to www.1.google.com [74.125.236.80]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 3 ms 2 ms 3 ms DD-WRT [10.0.0.1]
2 3 ms 3 ms 3 ms 117.198.128.1
3 3 ms 3 ms 3 ms 218.248.169.46
4 15 ms 15 ms 15 ms 218.248.246.130
5 20 ms 21 ms 22 ms 115.114.57.161.static-Mumbai.vsnl.net.in [115.114.57.161]
6 21 ms 22 ms 21 ms 121.240.1.42
7 25 ms 23 ms 21 ms 72.14.232.202
8 32 ms 32 ms 32 ms 72.14.232.93
9 34 ms 32 ms 31 ms 209.85.249.235
10 32 ms 31 ms 32 ms maa03s05-in-f16.1e100.net [74.125.236.80]

Trace complete.

@mgcarley My friend lives 100m away from my house and the DSLAM cabinet as far as i know is 5-6 kms from my house[even his house also ]So I think this might be the problem but still if he and I are so near then also my ping is too high 🙁Suggest me some solution ....I am using same DNS as my friend [218.248.255.212 -ISP bsnl]DO something@x720That problem of bad gateway during day time is fixed and my ping stick around 80-120 during all the time .....Any other thing I can provide for support ??Please reply

@mgcarley
My friend lives 100m away from my house and the DSLAM cabinet as far as i know is 5-6 kms from my house[even his house also ]
So I think this might be the problem but still if he and I are so near then also my ping is too high 🙁
Suggest me some solution ....
I am using same DNS as my friend [218.248.255.212 -ISP bsnl]
DO something

@x720
That problem of bad gateway during day time is fixed and my ping stick around 80-120 during all the time .....

Any other thing I can provide for support ??
Please reply

It is possible then that he is connected to a different DSLAM for some reason? (I've seen it happen both here and abroad - they may or may not be willing to change that).

The reason I ask is because your line stats suggest that, as I mentioned in my previous post, you could be connected to a box a couple of KMs away but his... his do not... There is no possible way that his attainable line rate would be 20712kbps at that distance from the DSLAM... as mentioned, whatever he is connected to is only a couple hundred meters from his house, max. Any further and his modem page simply wouldn't be showing those numbers.

I don't know whether he is connected to other DSLAM ...He is getting these ping since starting..Even my neighbor having 625 plan gets 40 ping ...I don't know why I get these lame pings :'(Anyway what can I do for fixing this ?

I don't know whether he is connected to other DSLAM ...
He is getting these ping since starting..
Even my neighbor having 625 plan gets 40 ping ...
I don't know why I get these lame pings :'(

Anyway what can I do for fixing this ?

Excepting getting BSNL techs to connect you to the new DSLAM which I'm 99% sure your friend is connected to, nothing... your line stats are adequate and your pings to Google are, despite the different routing, more or less the same at the end of the say (to Google, his are even more, actually... by 6ms... because for some reason his is going to Chennai)... if you try tracing to the same IP addresses (173.194.36.35 and 74.125.236.47 respectively) you may achieve different results which can be compared better and better illustrate the difference between your connection and your friends, because excepting the second and third hops, the above image does not do that.

As it has also been pointed out, you and your friend do connect to different gateways (which will cause aforementioned hops to be different and thus give different results). Neither you nor the BSNL techs have any say in this whatsoever - it's completely random and chosen automatically when you connect, although as illustrated in some other threads, the automatic choice isn't always the best one, and occasionally causes some latency problems if the gateway you're connected to is under heavy load.

EDIT: For the record, these guys had some gateway issues too, which caused funky routing, but what I'm finding interesting is that their gateways were 1ms away, not 40 or even 18ms:

Maybe JUST MAYBE you could try getting the BSNL techs to try turning interleaving off on your line. It may cause you to get more errors, so try it temporarily and see if your latency issues get fixed and whether the trade off is worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually his ping to google is also ~50 ...[I will post tracert soon]
But in screen shot its is 84 because of different timings...

Do u mean to trace IP addresses (173.194.36.35 and 74.125.236.47)
from friend's broadband ?
I will post the results soon ....

One more thing I want to say that What I need to say to BSNL techs so they change my DSLAM
Coz Yesterday they replaced my Cable from DP box saying that this is the cause though not even a single value was changed after that....
BSNL techs say that We will make ur DSL stable and can do nothing regarding ping ( They don't even know what ping means :lol🙂
What should I complain so that they get convinced and change me current DSLAM ?

Actually his ping to google is also ~50 ...[I will post tracert soon]
But in screen shot its is 84 because of different timings...

That doesn't fly as an excuse - basically they're going to different servers in different cities and are not comparable.

Do u mean to trace IP addresses (173.194.36.35 and 74.125.236.47)
from friend's broadband ?
I will post the results soon ....

Yes, I want to see 4 traceroutes: 1 of each of those IP addresses from both your broadband and your friend's broadband.

One more thing I want to say that What I need to say to BSNL techs so they change my DSLAM
Coz Yesterday they replaced my Cable from DP box saying that this is the cause though not even a single value was changed after that....
BSNL techs say that We will make ur DSL stable and can do nothing regarding ping ( They don't even know what ping means :lol🙂
What should I complain so that they get convinced and change me current DSLAM ?

It's very unlikely that that cable was problematic to begin with. It'll be from the DP box to the DSLAM that'll be the problem *and* the distance, and that's the part which supplies everyone in your society (I'm assuming you don't live in a bungalow).

They are correct in that your broadband stats are, despite being at the lower end of "good", still sufficient and from what I can gather, your connection is for the most part stable enough, so if you want to shave that 20+ms off your ping time, it had better be worth it to you, because to convince them to change it will likely require money: 1 for a little incentive and 2 for the resources they will need to utilize to run a new cable to the same DSLAM your friend is using... it's unlikely they'll do it simply to improve your quality of service from "good" to "excellent"...

The Internet and phone for your whole society would probably be down for several hours while they do the change as well, so that should probably be taken in to consideration - if that is the case, maybe everyone can/should pitch in.

Here's the thing, if bsnl does not face any competition in your area, I highly doubt they'll be willing to go the extra mile for you. 😉

hahaha epic reply :lol:In my area Airtel is also their but very few connections as compared to BSNLI have Tikona in my city ...Can u tell me that will I get good ping in Tikona ?I don't have any idea about that

If good pings are all that you want and can live with 256k post fup, by all means go for airtel. 🙂edit - this does not mean that you'll be guaranteed good pings, just a possibility 😉

256k will not make videos stream and it's too slow for today's internet experience...........I will do something iN BSNL only

this is my tracert

Second IP

Friend's trace will be posted soon [He's not at home]

You've posted the same trace twice...

Please explain in detail about interleaving 🙂

Basically it's error correction. With it on, your line will tolerate more errors, but at the expense of latency. With it off, less latency but more errors. Ergo, you will need to choose wisely, since your line is at the lower end of the scale as far as quality is concerned. See if the engineers will allow you to test your line with interleaving off for a day or 2 and see how it goes.

Here are some more ping's [just for fun ]
So can you suggest me should I use ISP's Dns or use google DNS ?

In a lot of cases, I'd say use your ISP's DNS. In BSNL's case... well... some people report better results on Google's DNS.

hahaha epic reply :lol:
In my area Airtel is also their but very few connections as compared to BSNL
I have Tikona in my city ...
Can u tell me that will I get good ping in Tikona ?
I don't have any idea about that

Read the Tikona threads. That should be enough to answer your questions about Tikona.