• Thread starter Thread starter manivas
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 17
  • Views Views 23,231

manivas

Vasu
ISP
Beam Fiber
When i was downloading torrents on beam fiber. i observed a private ip (10.240.*.*) in the peer list and the transfer speed from this ip is greater than my plan (generally above 3 MBPS)can any one throw light on this

Most likely means someone on your local cable network has the same torrent, so your torrent client intelligently downloaded the file from him. This is a good thing.

As mentioned "someone"... just so happens to be the ISP rather than another user. But again, this is a good thing.Extreme Peering out of Delhi has been going around the country implementing these - and they're brilliant.

yes its btcache Alliance does the same. Torrents that users download the most are stored in ISP NAS. Alliance has 30TB setup and the Extreme peering guys from IPACCT already told me that they are to tie up with Beam 2months ago. So seems they are already on the testing phase 🙂 Check http://torbox.net/ to know if Beam is already registered. Also check Filmocean.net . You can download if only your ISP is registered 🙂

You have noticed somewhat like this I guess

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/407/peer.jpg/

A closer view

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/441/peerp.jpg/

In Utorrent it shows as btcache which is nothing but NAS of Isp in which files are cached periodically. BTW for the Whole India they are giving almost the same Ip numbers :S

yes its btcache Alliance does the same. Torrents that users download the most are stored in ISP NAS. Alliance has 30TB setup and the Extreme peering guys from IPACCT already told me that they are to tie up with Beam 2months ago. So seems they are already on the testing phase 🙂 Check TorBox.net to know if Beam is already registered. Also check Filmocean.net . You can download if only your ISP is registered 🙂

In Utorrent it shows as btcache which is nothing but NAS of Isp in which files are cached periodically. BTW for the Whole India they are giving almost the same Ip numbers :S

I had 2 meetings with them in Feb, so did Fivenet. They told me Alliance is a customer of theirs as well.

APACCT is their billing product which allows the ISP to separate peered traffic from regular traffic and bill accordingly.

Sometimes when I download certain files I see something like ras.beamtele.net as a peer, but I don't get great speeds from them... they get excellent speeds from me though ::unfair::

The IP addresses are not relevant because they're private IPs, not public ones... 10.240.x.x is just a LAN IP like 192.168.x.x or whatever.

yeah they give Class A Private Ips for btcache

----------

I hope BSNL comes up with something similar so that they can save a lot of International Bandwith but doubt BSNL babus will understand the term "peering" and also doubt their copper ADSL lines can withstand such high speeds becasue attenuation will rise up to such extent that both landline and net will be unstable :/ They atleast need VDSL +2 technology to implement Extreme Peering

yeah they give Class A Private Ips for btcache

----------

I hope BSNL comes up with something similar so that they can save a lot of International Bandwith but doubt BSNL babus will understand the term "peering" and also doubt their copper ADSL lines can withstand such high speeds becasue attenuation will rise up to such extent that both landline and net will be unstable :/ They atleast need VDSL +2 technology to implement Extreme Peering

Implementing this on BSNL or MTNL would not affect attenuation or cause stability issues. Some ISPs in NZ are using similar technology and the country is around 99% on ADSL, on copper that is around 40 years old unless you live in a newly constructed area.

What it would mean though is that BSNL might finally have to listen to what I've been saying for the past couple of years and remove speed caps (allowing up to 8 or 24mbits according to the line quality/age of DSLAM etc) and just charge for data at nice & inexpensive rates.

I mean, they *could* offer unlimited services, but the reason I think data is a better way to go is because ADSL just isn't very good at allowing for unlimited services because of the way it has to be provisioned (so even if they gave maximum line speed, inevitably congestion would kick in and bugger the whole issue so you'd only end up getting 512k-1m during peak hours anyway... and this is based on the experience of a couple of providers in NZ).

VDSL is marginally better, but not *necessary* for this technology to be implemented (I wouldn't be complaining if I was able to reach 15-20mbit/s on my DSL plan while downloading certain content) and irrespective of what I mentioned in the previous paragraphs, whichever pricing model they choose, I do think BSNL would do very well to implement this sort of thing. With multi-Terabyte caches in each city, they could reduce stress on their domestic long haul network (which is the part of BSNL's network that's closest to falling apart due simply to congestion & stupid routing), fix a lot of the routing issues and improve the overall quality of service.

@mgcarleyras.beamtele.net is a beam fiber peer.

@siddhartha dutta, I dont think bsnl will do this kind of caching

I'm well aware of what ras.beamtele.net is, thanks, but as much as I would like to see it, I do agree that it would be unlikely for BSNL to implement this kind of thing, thanks to bureaucracy and stuff 🙁

Why the hell doesn't Airtel do such things? They should definitely go for it. We don't have any kind of peering in Delhi! There is peering in almost all the metros except Delhi! :weep:

can content owners file a suit on ISP for caching "copy righted"torrents ?

In short, no.

In long, no, because in most implementations they merely cache parts of files, which technically are just junk data and/or in some countries there are safehaven laws which come in to effect since the cache just caches whatever information is accessed most by it's subscribers automatically - the ISP does not select what it caches, nor can it proactively do so.

To shine a slightly more sinister light on the subject, I'm sure if you tried hard enough you could find images of child abuse/rape/torture/etc courtesy of Google, but that doesn't make Google responsible for it, and it doesn't make your ISP responsible for it either (the one most likely entity to get in trouble for accessing such content is you, the end user)... the same sort of thing applies to P2P caching.

Why the hell doesn't Airtel do such things? They should definitely go for it. We don't have any kind of peering in Delhi! There is peering in almost all the metros except Delhi! :weep:

In Delhi ANI NETWORKS is with Extreme Peering http://aninetwork.in/

Hi just came across this as i am also currently getting speed of 2.2 mbps from peer with ip 10.240.XXX.XXX.
is there any way to get torrents list which is being cache by my ISP. so that i can download all of them ?