Which microwave oven is the best to buy?

designwebgraphic

Life is So Busy Now
ISP
TATA
Hello Friends,I have purchased a vacuum cleaner after discussing it here.Now i plan to buy a microwave. please tell me which microwave is the best to buy for regular/routine use?I checked out few like samsung, LG, Panasonic etc (seen but not considering other 3rd grades like onida, onkyo, sansui etc)Is there any better than above 3 if i have missed? (i dont think i will buy IFB or other older brands)The most i like Samsung and Panasonic. Just want to ask few questions -1 - which brand is the most trusted in microwaves which should be very reliable with 0% maintenance for next few years (price doesnt matter)2 - for a family of 4, how much Litre of microwave is good to go? (i believe 20-25ltr is ok?)3 - is it advisable to eat food cooked electronically (in micros) or still cooked on gas is good?4 - any drawbacks using micros in everyday life? power consumption ok?5 - apart from roti, can we cook almost everything that we eat in routine? (such as rice, daal, sabji in morning and khichdi at night)???Please try to answer all of the above questions if you can which would be really a great help for me to decide what to buy.Budget is appx 12-14k.Thanks in advance :triumphant:

microwaves are awesome for quickly warming up good. it is faster and the heating is more uniform compared to gas stove. i have not seen much indian cooking done in the microwave at my place. i do not think it can replace preparation of regular vegetarian dishes at home. but other people should have a better idea.

Dont buy LG. Have had a horrible experience with it. had to be repaired 5 times till now in 1.5 years.

yeah, thanks for reivew. i too had doubt with LG. i either want to go with Samsung or Panasonic but still need more friends here for their input with those or other brands.lets see. i can wait till at least a week to listen to what others say.

There are basically three types of microwave ovens in the market.

1. A simple standard Microwave
2. Microwave + Grill
3. Microwave + Grill + Convection oven.

The convection is nothing but a regular oven in which you can bake cakes, make biscuits, etc being added to the Microwave. This is the type which you should buy if your needs are more than heating and making maggi.

You should go through THIS for a lot of your questions to be answered.

The best and largest selling brands of Microwave are Philips, LG, Samsung, Whirlpool, IFB, Kenstar, Electrolux and Panasonic. Other brands available in the market are Onida, Godrej, Videocon, Inalsa, Morphy Richards, Onkyo, Croma, etc.

I have heard that Panasonic and Electrolux are two of the best but costliest brands.

I would not recommend LG or Samsung as they are not the pioneers in making these products.

I have a Kenstar Convection 22L at home and I'm very happy with it since the past 5yrs. I do not mind recommending the same.

First ask yourself that for what use you need a microwave. If you just heat food then no need to go for grill or convection, it is just a waste of money.As far as brand is concerned, samsung worked for me for 6 yrs with normal usage(just for heating food).If you consider others, Electrolux and IFB are king here. Also, dont go for fancy functionalities of MW as most if these are marketing gimmicks.

Hello Friends,

I have purchased a vacuum cleaner after discussing it here.

Now i plan to buy a microwave. please tell me which microwave is the best to buy for regular/routine use?

I checked out few like samsung, LG, Panasonic etc (seen but not considering other 3rd grades like onida, onkyo, sansui etc)

Is there any better than above 3 if i have missed? (i dont think i will buy IFB or other older brands)

The most i like Samsung and Panasonic. Just want to ask few questions -

1 - which brand is the most trusted in microwaves which should be very reliable with 0% maintenance for next few years (price doesnt matter)
2 - for a family of 4, how much Litre of microwave is good to go? (i believe 20-25ltr is ok?)
3 - is it advisable to eat food cooked electronically (in micros) or still cooked on gas is good?
4 - any drawbacks using micros in everyday life? power consumption ok?
5 - apart from roti, can we cook almost everything that we eat in routine? (such as rice, daal, sabji in morning and khichdi at night)???

Please try to answer all of the above questions if you can which would be really a great help for me to decide what to buy.

Budget is appx 12-14k.

Thanks in advance :triumphant:

Been using Onida since last 6 yrs without any trouble, so it's definitely not 3rd grade!!!

for a family of 4, 30 Ltr is more than sufficient.

There are debates going on regarding microwave heating destroys essential Vitamins,Minerals From Food. Heating it in plastic makes food carcinogenic and so forth.

It's Best utility is for Defrosting/ warming up food and basic stuff like making coffee, Popcorn. But making sabji/khichdi is not practical not to mention the power consumed in making those.

We have been using Whirlpool Microwave model 22C since 2009, we are satisfied with the product. my wife use this to make all the indian foods, rice, dal , sambar, dosa, chapatti, idli, tea. We are using microwave to make tandoori chicken and fish fry(with no oil). I think its better to use microwave to make oil less chicken and fish fry. We also prepare cake, biscuits and pizza.We dont have additional cylinder at our home, so whenever we run out of gas we use microwave for daily cooking needs.hope this helps.....let me know if you need any other information

Thanks, this practical info helps. just have a question - for all that you are cooking (dal, rice, dosa etc..) which type of microwave do you own?
- microwave
- micro with convection and grill

which is the best for me to buy if i want to cook same as you do? please suggest. thanks.

We have been using Whirlpool Microwave model 22C since 2009, we are satisfied with the product. my wife use this to make all the indian foods, rice, dal , sambar, dosa, chapatti, idli, tea. We are using microwave to make tandoori chicken and fish fry(with no oil). I think its better to use microwave to make oil less chicken and fish fry. We also prepare cake, biscuits and pizza.

We dont have additional cylinder at our home, so whenever we run out of gas we use microwave for daily cooking needs.

hope this helps.....let me know if you need any other information

From all the messages, it turns out that most brands are good enough. So choose your pick. Do compare their individual features and select the best as per your requirement.And I would suggest to go for a Convection as you can cook foods only in that. The simple one is unsuitable for cooking indian food.

The microwave oven i have has all the functions, Microwave, Convection and Grill. There is a special tawa which comes with this Whirlpool 22C oven which helps to prepare Dosa, Roti, Grilled Paneer, chicken fry and Fish Fry.

I am not sure about other products but the functions you should look for is Microwave, Convection and Grill.
The convection is used to make baked products like cake, biscuits, bread etc. The grill can be used to give crispyness to the food and microwave function to cook.
Also look for combination function like Microwave with Grill which will help to prepare food like chicken fry, Fish fry, grilled paneer.

my personal opinion is that we can cook any indian food with microwave if we understand the functions of it completely.

The new model which replaces the Whirlpool 22C is AT245 which has all the functions. The price is around 11.5K. This is good enough for cooking for a family of 3 to 4people. You can try this....not sure about other products in the market.

The only limitation i think is that you have to cook the items one by one, because conventionally we used to have 2 or 3 burners in gas cooktop and the food can be prepared parallely fast.

hope this helps....

Thanks, this practical info helps. just have a question - for all that you are cooking (dal, rice, dosa etc..) which type of microwave do you own?
- microwave
- micro with convection and grill

which is the best for me to buy if i want to cook same as you do? please suggest. thanks.