Current Mango running WP7 devices to never see Apollo update

• Thread starter Thread starter socrates
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 2,053
i hope this is true. microsoft has mocked google for not supporting their older devices. this was to happen. sooner the better. microsoft cannot really update all the windows phone devices to the latest versions because system requirements become higher with time. google and Apple have gone through this phase. and now it is the turn of microsoft.

Guys this might be off-topic to ask but what would you rate as the minimum specs for running WP 7.5 (comfortably) and same for Android 4.0?SE and HTC are the only ones yet (in India) to run ICS on a standard 1 GHz processor, rather well. If you look for the mango counterparts, lumia/omnia are all clocking at and over 1.4 Ghz. So is the the WP extremely resource hogging? I mean we are still at sea whether 1.4Ghz will be "enough" for Apollo?

Wonder if Lumia 610 will gety it , as it seems to be a low-end spec phone

Guys this might be off-topic to ask but what would you rate as the minimum specs for running WP 7.5 (comfortably) and same for Android 4.0?

SE and HTC are the only ones yet (in India) to run ICS on a standard 1 GHz processor, rather well. If you look for the mango counterparts, lumia/omnia are all clocking at and over 1.4 Ghz. So is the the WP extremely resource hogging? I mean we are still at sea whether 1.4Ghz will be "enough" for Apollo?

I don't know which HTC you are talking about, but I have a DHD, and ICS isn't exactly silk smooth on it. Agreed this is a dev port, but then this is straight AOSP. Android is a resource hogger, and this is known. WP7 does not require all that CPU - not right now at least. All those specs are because people confuse lower specs with slow phones, which isn't always the case. WP7 can run pretty well on a 800 Mhz, I have seen Mango working blazing fast (no exaggeration) on a Focus with a 1 GHz proc.

the only guy with a htc one v on the forum has not really commented on the performance on the phone especially considering he had to get his handset replaced by the seller.

@agantuk Was referring to the One V mate. My bro bought the same recently, 1 Ghz does perform well without lag. Except for the fact that the inbuilt browser is sh#t, so is the camera in broad day light. Having seen S2 with ICS Dev ROM [which is more of Android that Touch/Bloatwiz] I am of the opinion that Sense 4.0 cripples the functionality and beauty of ICS as intended by Google, unlike the "killer combo" one would expect.Samsung will perhaps try and do different on the S3 hopefully. About SE, i wasnt a big fan of Sony, but it seems they have done pretty well with the Timescape. The mid range phones Neo V, Pro, Ray (the one i'l perhaps get after my exams) have already began the official ICS updates in the nordic countries. Even the non-xperia line "Live with Walkman" which sells around 13k will get the update.The early reviews claim ICS/Timescape works above expectations on the measly 1 Ghz/512 mb on the above devices. 🙂So Sony "respect"! 🙂

my experience with ICS on Nexus S can safely say that ICS can easily run on 1GHz processors as long as the GPU is capable. ICS relies a lot on the GPU and this was the reason why N1 did not get the official ICS update. If your phone comes with a crappy GPU, the CPU alone would not ensure a smooth enough ICS experience.