Change from Postpaid to Prepaid in 3G era is it safer

arijitmitter

ISP
BSNL DataOne
Hi, I am using Vodafone Postpaid for last 6 years in Calcutta. But I do not use gprs, EDGE, 3G because I have a curious fear.

On the home page of Vodafone, Airtel etc [ gprs portal ] there are options for download of games etc etc.

There is no system of receipts e.g if a vendor of mobile games PQR Technology bills your telecom provider saying you have downloaded 10 games you have no defence at end of the month ; you have to pay or face legal notice to cough up the money [ from first hand knowledge of experience of let us say another Post paid customer from another massive telecom service provider in 2005 ]. If instead of billing 12345 67899 they billed 12345 67988 from either games vendor end or telecom provider end you have no way to know till the post paid bill comes in.

You cannot tell them look I don't have the game in my handset !@@

But 3G is going to become much cheaper from year end. We shall see a price war much as we saw with call rates back in 2003 - 05.

In this scenario with a mobile handset capable of 3G all I do is receive and send sms and make calls. :disturbed:

Does Prepaid not make more sense [ I still have the legal notice from the incident back in 2005 when gprs was in its infancy and games used to cost Rs 150 ]

What opinion do you have?

Let me clarify - the quoted billing problem was not with Vodafone but another huge telecom provider in 2005 and the person had to settle the bill [ of course he left them and came to Vodafone with a promise never to use data plans again but that was before the era of 3G phones ]

Dont use their homepages to browse, use the Vodafone equivalent of Airtels "Mobile Office" APNPrepaid makes sense IFF you have a usage of < Rs 250-300pm AND dont require international roamingAbove that, postpaid makes more sense

Dont use their homepages to browse, use the Vodafone equivalent of Airtels "Mobile Office" APN

Prepaid makes sense IFF you have a usage of < Rs 250-300pm AND dont require international roaming

Above that, postpaid makes more sense

The question of using their homepage does not arise.

Problem I am talking about is -

They have games etc on their homepage.
They or vendor may bill your number wrongly.
There is no paper trail or confirmation sms if you are buying a game. They are not even bound to tell you which game you purchased at what time from which vendor. If you argue they will snap your connection slap a Rs 500 late fine and send you another bill. If you do not pay up in 3 months you get a legal notice [ as I said first hand experience so I know what I am talking about down to the last comma, full stop ]

They bother in the least if you use their homepage or do not ; or if you have enabled gprs, EDGE and never use it at all. Once they bill you for games and downloads mistakenly they stick to the stance that pay or get your connection snapped [ Postpaid of course ] with legal notice to follow after 3 months.

Under such predatory practice is it not better to shift to Prepaid if one uses 3G in India specially when one can recharge via internet and credit card or buy and keep recharge vouchers worth Rs 3000 for emergency use etc etc.

Ah, ok got your point, I thought you were talking about something elseHad a similar issue with one of my numbersFinally asked Airtel to tell me the IMEI of the phone from which the downloads were done (as per their system)then showed them that the same phone was actually in a different state on a different number at the time of the supposed downloadsGot everything and more refundedAnd,yeah its a better idea to shift to prepaid, but this type of scamming has reduced a lot over the past 2-3 years