Visiting Mumbai next week. Have some questions.

• Thread starter Thread starter Topweb
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 46
  • Views Views 10,728

Topweb

Regular
ISP
Airtel
So, I'll be visiting Mumbai next Saturday (21-April-2012) to meet a client. I'll have some free time available between the time I land in Mumbai airport at 8:35 AM to 4:30 PM when I'm supposed to be in the client's office on Nariman Point. I'm from Delhi. I could have taken a late morning flight from Delhi but since I'm paying for air tickets anyway, I thought why not spend some time seeing Mumbai also. It is weekend off in my office in Delhi anyway.I want to see Gateway of India. I also want to visit a beach. It is actually embarrassing but I have never seen sea shore or set foot on a beach despite having visited Singapore. So beach or some quiet place to sit near the sea shore it has to be. It should be a safe place and not some shady and/or criminal infested area. I'll carry just a laptop in a backpack with me and no clothes. I have booked a 10:25 PM return flight from Mumbai to Delhi. So, where should I plan to spend my time? Which beach or sea shore is worth visiting? How to get around to places like Gateway of India from Airport? By a taxi?How to get back from Nariman point to Airport? Suppose my meeting with clients end at 7:00 PM, will I be able to reach airport in-time to catch the return flight? How much will the taxi cost between various places that I have mentioned. Do they (cab drivers) fleece customers just like they do in Delhi or may be they run by meter without cheating?How is the weather like in Mumbai these days? Hot and humid or pleasant?Request members from Mumbai to please answer my queries.

u cud take a cab to get to any damn place u want. the best beach is juhu beach. its quite a upmarket area so dun worry abt criminals etc. 24x7 police presence on the beach. no cab driver in the city charges randomly. every1 here pays by meter only. if u want something better than a normal cab go for the private ones like meru etc. they will issue u a receipt n all n u can book online too. u can catch a cab from almost any corner of the city. esle u can call up any of the cab companies. google for mumbai cabs. u will get the ph nos online.from the airport u can get a prepaid cab(u pay @ the counter before hand the price to ur destination).its a bit hot but nuthing like delhi !!! lolif u worried abt the heat just get a private cab (they got ac's) 🙂as for teh rates just call n ask em . i dun knw coz i dun exactly go to the gateway of india every now n then 😛

Thanks.So from airport, I should take a prepaid cab and go to gateway of India. Spend say 1 hour there. Get another cab from gateway of India and go to Juhu beach. Right? How long (time in cab) does it take from airport to Gateway of India?How long does it take from Gateway of India to Juhu beach by a cab?How long does it take to go from Juhu beach to Nariman Point by a cab?I'm OK with traveling in non-AC cabs. Are they available without long waits? It is a PITA in Delhi to get an auto rickshaw and forget the ordinary cab.Is there any decent place to eat veg food on/near Juhu beach? Any recommended place?

Ok, so if u r from Delhi, i suppose u wud be having some habit of travelling in Trains. If u want to go to Gateway of India from the airport, u shud prefer a train, rather than a taxi all the way from Airport. The domestic airport is close to Vile Parle station. Reach there via an auto/taxi take the train from preferably the harbor line platform (anyone on the station can tell u which is harbor line, which is main line....so dont worry on that!) straight upto Churchgate (terminal point). From there u can take a taxi/bus to the Gateway of India. I dont remember which buses go there, but a ride in the double decker bus to the Gateway can be enjoyable.So if someone else can tell u which bus goes there from Churchgate station, then it wud be great.Beaches.....well if u want calm beaches, u can visit beaches like Chowpatty/Juhu BUT IN THE DAYTIME. In the evenings, its full of people! In fact u can go to Juhu first before going to Gateway of India, as Juhu is closer to the domestic airport.Coming to the weather.....in my office there are a few Delhiites, who said that last time the weather was better than Delhi, but this time, its somewhat similar to Delhi. I cant say what i believe, since i have never felt the Delhi summer. But yes, u might feel that the conditions are sapping at times. Being surrounded by sea, weather is always humid, which makes u sweat a lot.About the cab drivers, of what i have heard about other cities, i guess they r pretty much better here. All u have to ensure is - U GO BY METER. They strictly should go by meter, unless its a "Share a taxi". There will be some taximen who would try to take advantage of people not from Mumbai, by not going by meter, so keep this thing in mind.Lastly - going back to airport from Nariman Point....again u shud prefer trains starting from Churchgate and terminating at Andheri. Vile Parle (the station near to airport) is the penultimate stop in these trains, which means u can easily get down as well. Again back to airport by taxi/auto.PS: 1) Autos are scheduled to go on strike from April 16, so hope that it gets over by that day!2) I am specifically asking u to avoid taxis from airport to Gateway/Nariman point to Airport, because at the times u will be making the respective journeys, u will find urself stuck in traffic jams along ur direction!Hope this helps u to some extent! 🙂

Airport to Gateway of India in 1 - 1.5 hrs if no traffic and from there to Juhu Beach again 1 to 1.5 hrs. From Juhu Beach to Airport should be 20-30 min in traffic.

1. Domestic Airport
2. Gateway of India
3. Juhu Beach

Hint, ask the taxi driver to take you via sealink from Gateway of India to Juhu beach. Be ready to pay the toll though. Enjoy Mumbai's skyline 🙂

Nariman Point is in South Mumbai. The Airport is in the suburb of Santa Cruz which is a about 30 kms out. Take a prepaid cab from the airport or get a Meru. The fare should be about 450-500. A normal cab should be 300 -350 odd bucks. Gateway of India is quite close to Nariman Point. Its about a 10 mins cab ride (about 20 bucks). Once in Mumbai don't worry too much about being conned by cabbies. They always run by the meter and the meters are all fair. You don't have to negotiate rates in advance here. Closest beach for you would be Chowpatty. Not very far again. short cab ride. About 150 bucks for a round trip from Nariman Point. Infact from the begining of Nariman Pt at the Oberoi's you can see Chowpatty beach on the other side.It should be about 45-60 min cab ride from the airport in the morning for you. Suggest you to Gateway of India first. Right there next to Regal cinema is Cafe Mondegar and Cafe Leopolds (Leo's if the place where the 2008 massacre began for the Taj and you'll still see bullet holes in the walls in windows. They haven't replaced it yet). They server a brilliant breakfast. Also suggest you tank up on beer as its quite hot out here and you'd be sightseeing under the harsh sun. Couple of good places to kill time around there is the Jehangir Art gallery and the Prince of Wales Museum (if you are into that kind of stuff).On your return the evening traffic is going to be killer and the trip to the airport can take 90 mins or more. So suggest you leave by 8 from Nariman Point at the earliest.Other than that can't think of anything else that you can do during the day in Mumbai.Hope this info helps and enjoy your trip to Mumbai.

for food i say u go to mahesh lunch home near juhu. it has gr8 local seafood. the name may not be gr8 but the food is very good. at other places u will just get the regular stuff - mughlai n italian n all which u cud anyways get in delhi.
http://www.maheshlunchhome.com/

Thanks for all the info folks.

Looking at the map, it seems I should go to Juhu beach straight from the Airport in the morning to save on travel time. From Juhu beach to Gateway of India by cab via sealink. Seeing sealink will be good too as I have seen it on the TV and in newspapers only. From Gateway of India to Nariman point by a cab.

From Nariman point to Churchgate is 17 minutes walking distance as per google maps or a short cab ride. From Churchgate to Vile Parle, I should take train. And from Vile Parle to Airport I have to take a cab. How long will it take in the train from Churchgate to Vile Parle? How frequent are the trains on that line at around 7:45 PM? A train every 5-10 minutes? I suppose I'll have to stand in a long line to buy ticket at the station also.

----------

I'm vegetarian. So no seafood for me. And since I have to meet a client in the evening, I can't tank up on beer also. 🙂

From Vile Parle to Domestic Airport, Terminal 1B, You won't get a Cab easily. Better to take an Autorickshaw which is easily accessible outside Vile Parle East Station. Fair won't be more than Rs 14.

Ahh, One More thing. Every Place in Mumbai is distinguished between East & West.

Also, While Catching a local train at Churchgate, make sure you catch only Churchgate to Borivili Slow or Churchgate to Andheri Slow for better confort. Avoid Churchgate to Virar .

Don't worry abt eateries in Mumbai. You will find Hotels and restaurant within your eye-sight everywhere. If required , grap one Vada-Paav at the nearest Stall 😉

----------

How long will it take in the train from Churchgate to Vile Parle? How frequent are the trains on that line at around 7:45 PM? A train every 5-10 minutes? I suppose I'll have to stand in a long line to buy ticket at the station also.

It will take 40 minutes from Churchgate to Vile Parle. Train frequency is almost every 4 minutes. Yes you have to if you buy a II class Ticket which cost Rs 7 and if you opt to travel in Ist class , you won't have to stand in a queue & charge of ticket would be Rs 78.

----------

for food i say u go to mahesh lunch home near juhu. it has gr8 local seafood. the name may not be gr8 but the food is very good. at other places u will just get the regular stuff - mughlai n italian n all which u cud anyways get in delhi.
..::Mahesh Lunch Home::..

Mahesh Lunch Home would be little far. Better option is Shiv Sagar just Opposite to Juhu Beach Entrance .

----------

Reach there via an auto/taxi take the train from preferably the harbor line platform (anyone on the station can tell u which is harbor line, which is main line....so dont worry on that!)

Platform No - 05 to be more accurate :eagerness:

straight upto Churchgate (terminal point). From there u can take a taxi/bus to the Gateway of India. I dont remember which buses go there, but a ride in the double decker bus to the Gateway can be enjoyable.
So if someone else can tell u which bus goes there from Churchgate station, then it wud be great.

112R & 133R . But I would suggest to take Taxi. It cost minimum meter fare of Rs 20.

Coming to the weather.....in my office there are a few Delhiites, who said that last time the weather was better than Delhi, but this time, its somewhat similar to Delhi. I cant say what i believe, since i have never felt the Delhi summer. But yes, u might feel that the conditions are sapping at times. Being surrounded by sea, weather is always humid, which makes u sweat a lot.

Mumbai weather is somewhat better than Delhi if you don't have allergy with sweat.

PS: 1) Autos are scheduled to go on strike from April 16, so hope that it gets over by that day!
2) I am specifically asking u to avoid taxis from airport to Gateway/Nariman point to Airport, because at the times u will be making the respective journeys, u will find urself stuck in traffic jams along ur direction!

Hope this helps u to some extent! 🙂

I would suggest to go by Taxi itself. As it would be Saturday, Traffic will be 50% as compared to other working days. Also Trains will be less crowded due to Saturday.

by reading all this needs and suggestions...i love IBF:yahoo:..really happy to be a part of this forum.

1 question & so many responses! 😀 😀 Now that is something good! Hope i too get similar inputs when i am travelling to other places totally unknown to me!

----------

@ x270, yeah, but on Saturday, Harbor line trains will be similar to Delhi metro in terms of crowding.

Crowds apart, the comfort level of local trains is nowhere near metro. At least, it wasn't back when I lived in Mumbai 😉 But still, train journeys are fun 😛

I havent seen, more importantly experienced the travel in Delhi Metro, so i cant compare.....but yes i m sure that Local trains in any other city would be better than the ones in Mumbai. Just that the trains are sturdy enuf to handle the pressure daily!

I guess even between the regular members of IBF, most major cities would get covered