• Thread starter Thread starter Outlander
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 3,492

Outlander

Regular
ISP
BSNL
I recently got a new laptop from the US. I've used desktops all these years, and know how to format, backup and recover data, but haven't used a laptop before.The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L 755. Earlier it had three partitions as shown in Administrative Tools > Computer Management. The first was a 1.46 GB one, shown as "Active, Recovery Partition". The second was C: drive, around 590 GB "Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition", and the third was around 14.5 GB. Only the C: drive would open, the other partitions wouldn't open at all.I'm not really sure but these were recovery partitions, and what I did was I used Paragon Partition Manager to split C: drive, so that now there are three partitions: the first is the same, the second is C: drive with 297 GB, and the third is E: drive with 297 GB, which I formatted with NTFS.It seems I messed up the recovery partitions. What I would like to know is whether these are really important or not, and what they contain. Can't you use a laptop like a desktop, changing the partitions as you like, and installing the drivers directly?When the laptop boots up, there's an option to press F12 and return the computer to its out of box condition. There are also five or six recovery DVDs.

IINM, The recovery partitions just have the original system files and gives you access to the recovery partition. If you know how to install an OS yourself, there is really no need. The first thing that I do when I buy a laptop is to completely format and delete all partitions and create ones suited to my use. it also helps get rid of all the bloatware.

well the recovery partition are there to restore your laptop to the factory state without requiring the DVDs. if you have messed up the partitions, you can simply do what you would on a desktop. delete and merge all the partitions into a single drive. you lose the ability to restore your laptop to factory state without using the optical media. you would still be able to install the OS on it manually using the DVDs. the first partition i believe held the recovery data. second was to be used by you. i am not sure about the third partition.

I'm trying to install XP on the laptop (it already has 7 pre-installed). But it won't let the installation start at all, it gives an error message of a newer Windows version already installed. As soon as I start the setup, the screen vanishes after a second. I know installing two OSes creates boot problem, but I know how to solve that using EasyBCD. The problem is that the XP installation just doesn't start. Don't ask me to use the XP virtualization in 7. My version of 7 doesn't have XP mode, and anyway I want to use XP directly.

The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L755-S5107.

Toshiba Satellite® L755-S5107 15.6" widescreen Laptop (Silver) | Laptops | Computers | us.toshiba.com

i thought that the safer way was to install the older OS first and then install the newer one! there should be guides available online if it is possible to install xp after 7.

All the guides on the net are about the boot problem. There are a lot of people who have problems installing XP after 7, but they all have problems later on, like drivers and other stuff. In my case the installation just doesn't start.

I think the problem you are facing may be cos you are using an OEM version of Windows 7 rather than a retail version.... And hence XP is not able to override it & just install in an additional drive or something... So did you restore the Windows 7 using the optical devices.. If so , were you able to retain your new partitions etc.

I haven't restored Windows 7 or anything, I've just resized the partitions. Everything is working fine, only XP installation doesn't start. I am trying to install it on another drive (meaning partition). So isn't there any way to override this OEM problem?

Is it possible to explain what this OEM and activation thing is? From what I know, you enter the product key and it starts working, but seems like there is something called activation as well. My laptop has the product key pasted on a sticker at the bottom, but suppose I format everything, boot from a Win 7 DVD and install the OS fresh, I can use the product key, but do I need to activate it as well? And how do I do that - do I have to pay some amount for this?

if you use the oem discs you are unlikely to be asked the serial number. it recognizes the hardware and activates itself. at least this is how my Dell used to behave. the sticker at the bottom is just a certification that the system came loaded with windows. the key on it would not work on regular windows installers.

I don't have any OS DVD. Windows 7 came pre-installed. So first I have to download Win 7, which is another thing I wanted to ask: where on the Microsoft can I get a digital copy of Home Premium x64? After I download and install using the product key at the bottom, will I need to activate it? And how will activate it - call some number in the US?

Download a retail version of the win 7 edition you had and activate using the OEM key by phone. No need to call on US, u can call the India MS number provided thr.

I don't have any OS DVD. Windows 7 came pre-installed. So first I have to download Win 7, which is another thing I wanted to ask: where on the Microsoft can I get a digital copy of Home Premium x64? After I download and install using the product key at the bottom, will I need to activate it? And how will activate it - call some number in the US?

Get SP1 media refresh images (*.iso) from here:
Code:
http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/
Burn *.iso image to disc or use as bootable in a USB drive...

Digital River = Microsoft partner

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Method A (online/phone activation):
1. Win7 Clean install
2. During installation, enter your OEM SLP key (key at the bottom of your notebook) when a dialog asks you to...
3. After the installation completes, use the activation dialog to activate it online
OR
Use phone activation method > Call India toll free no.: > IVR or MS rep. > Installation ID > Confirmation ID > Activate

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Method B (offline activation / assuming that you've SLIC 2.1 in your BIOS):
1. Download "SLICDumpToolkit" from here:
Code:
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/6925-SLIC-ToolKit-x86-x64-%28Includes-PKey-amp-Cert-Backup%29
2. Run app. as admin > Advanced Tab > "PKey & Cert. Valid & Backup" field
3. Click the "Backup" button > save the *.xrm-ms file for later use
4. Win7 Clean install > after booting

Installing cert.:
5. Start an elevated command prompt instance (Start menu > Search for programs and files > type > cmd > right click > select 'Run as administrator')
6. cmd > type >

Code:
slmgr.vbs -ilc
e.g.: slmgr.vbs -ilc C:\Thosiba.xrm-ms

7. Wait for a: successful certificate installation confirmation/dialog...

Installing SLP OEM key:
8. cmd > type >

Code:
slmgr.vbs -ipk XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
where "XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX" is the OEM SLP key (key at the bottom of your notebook)

9. Wait for a: successful key installation confirmation/dialog...
10. Check OS genuine status > Done.