Asianet Broadband ISP injecting Javascript ads

• Thread starter Thread starter activity
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 5
  • Views Views 5,919

activity

ISP
Airtel Xstream Fiber
Asianet Dataline, a Cable TV/Internet provider in Kerala, has started Javascript ad injection with all web page requests.

More details given here:
Asianet(ISP) injecting javascript code(ads) in every webpage requested by the customer | Dipin Krishna

On contacting customer care about this, they said that they are actually testing this ad service for displaying ads for all users!

These ads turn up on all websites, including flipkart, icici internet banking and other pages!

In-spite of letting them know that this is a huge security risk, they seem to think it is a new feature from their side!

I have contacted the Nodal officer and appellate authority for a comment but am yet to hear back.

My cable isp Alliance is also doing the same. I am using AD Block Plus addon for the same 🙂

It seems Asianet just expanded their ad program today breaking many applications.Some web applications broke because of the unexpected javascript injection in web pages. Some applications which were loading web pages using IE controls started popping up new internet explorer windows every few minutes in the background displaying ads (not much different from viruses).So would Asianet listen to the user problems and refrain from continuing this?

I use ADBlock as mutiplatform tool and AD muncher on windows . But the same effect can be got without any ADblocks ,just by editing the hosts file.
Code:
%windows%/system32/drivers/etc/hosts
, open this file in notepad and then put in these lines
Code:
127.0.0.1 localhost ##don't add if already present in the same form i.e without a '#' before it127.0.0.1 ui.streamride.net127.0.0.1 streamride.net
If your router supports DD-WRT or you are using Linux then you can edit
Code:
sudo nano /etc/hosts
and add the same lines again .