ACT Broadband Service in Indiranagar?

• Thread starter Thread starter urban_chaos
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 9,900

urban_chaos

ISP
depends
Hi Friends. I've been contemplating switching over to ACT broadband for a long time now but I'm rally confused whether I should after I read a few reviews which really don't paint a rosy picture. Well lemme tell you I've used Hathway, You(sless) and good ol' BSNL but all have disappointed me. The main problem which i faced are:1. With Hathway the speed was good but half the times there was no connection and their CC peeps were always busy.2. I'd taken YOU Boradband when my BSNL line was cut for abt a month and their office is just a stone throw from my house so I thought their service would be good but dang! I was disappointed again! They had promised me 10 MBPS but I hardly got a little above 1Mbps and videos on YouTube would buffer even at 360p!! Then the same old problem, half the times there was no connection. They can change their name to YOUsless, it'll serve them right!! LOL3. BSNL had served me (and they still do but not to my liking anymore) for a very long time of about 5 years with consistent speeds and 24x7x365 connectivity. I have a HOME UL750 plan and I had absolutely no problem until last December when my line was cut due to heaven knows what and it took those buggers a month to figure it out and to correct it after which strangely the speed has reduced drastically even though they claim that my plan hasn't changed when I'd lodged a complaint. I'm really fed up of BSNL and their indifferent approach to their customers and I wanna disconnect!So having said all of this I am now really confused about what to do! I have two friends with ACT, one who runs a business and the other one at home and they both praise ACT to heavens for their "INSANE SPEEDS at affordable prices" and "RELIABLE CONNECTIVITY", the two things that I really crave for!! My Uncle too in Hyd has Beam Fibre and he says that it's too good. So now friends since you know my problem and expectations I would wanna put forth a few questions:1. I live in Indiranagar (Eshwara Layout) and would like some valuable feedback from anyone who's having this connection from or near my area?2. I want a Rs.999 Unlimited 10 MBPS plan so will I actually get that speed or anything close to it (or is 10MBPS tag a marketing gimmick) and is it really "UNLIMITED" or is there a catch to it?3. It there a reliable all day connectivity or are there times when there is no connectivity?4. Last but not the least can I use my D-Link DIR-524 Router for Wi-Fi connectivity?5. I'm a noob at networking so I really didn't get the deal about the modem! What is it that will be placed on my roof, ok, so why not in the ground floor, why roof?? So i can work without a modem is it? The Ethernet port in my CPU will just do is it? Thank you very much friends and I would appreciate your replies. Hare Krishna!

I can tell u 1 thing. If ur can get ACT BB connection in ur area got for it. Hope they will service u well. If u have some problem, n calling CC doesn't help u, this forum is there 🙂

Thanks sachinbr but to put things in a lighter vien, I rather know the condition of the waters before venturing into it! LOLAs you can see I've had a pretty bad experience with all the BB ISps! 🙁

They'll probably place the ont on the roof (i guess). Provided yours is a standalone wifi router, it will work. Most forum.members have been getting promised speeds.Btw, what speed do you get on ul750, and please post your line stats l.

Thanks sachinbr but to put things in a lighter vien, I rather know the condition of the waters before venturing into it! LOL
As you can see I've had a pretty bad experience with all the BB ISps! 🙁
According to people reviews in this forum, people r satisfied with Act BB. Even i having bad experience from all the ISP which i had till now

They'll probably place the ont on the roof (i guess). Provided yours is a standalone wifi router, it will work. Most forum.members have been getting promised speeds.

Btw, what speed do you get on ul750, and please post your line stats l.

Thanks for the reply and I must tell you it's a darn miracle! Maybe BSNL guys spy on this forum! I'm getting amazing speeds on my BSNL since yesterday! I've done a speedtest and it's showing 0.98kbps dl, 0.45Kbps upload and 135ms ping. Not bad I should say. Now my father and wife wants to give BSNL another chance cuz they're both apprehensive about ACT (well so am I ! lol)
But there's still a little problem, the wifi is coming dead slow on my phone (LG optimus 2x). sorry if I'm violating the forum rules by asking an off topic question but can anyone suggest me a good modem router for the BSNL connection? I currently have a Digisol one and it's kinda buggy........well, a pain in the rear end to be honest! Lol

@sachinblr: well, that's the problem with India, nothing is reliable and nobody is really accountable here! All ISPs take their customers for granted.

Routers aplenty. Please post your budget.

Anything within 2.5K should be good. I need a reliable wifi signal (100 meters) at the end of the day. Should be a router modem mind you. thanks friend 🙂

Alright, with a 2.5k budget, you can get the following router-modem combos :

Netgear DGN1000 Wireless-N 150 ADSL2 Modem Router Wifi ADSL Wi-Fi Wi Fi Bill Wrt | eBay

TPLINK TD-W8951 150Mbps Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router TP-LINK + BILL | eBay

TP-Link TD-W8961ND 300Mbps Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router | eBay

Asus DSL-N10E ADSL2 WIFI Modem Router 5 DBI High Range All In One ADSL MODEM | eBay

Also, look out for the bsnl teracom wifi modem router, excellent range that has, and is quite low cost.

Personally, I'd recommend the Asus one. 😉

Though, I wonder why you wouldn't want to go for a separate router, coz if you were ever to move from an adsl based isp, the routers listed above would become worthless.

Netgear DGN1000 Wireless-N 150 ADSL2 Modem Router Wifi ADSL Wi-Fi Wi Fi Bill Wrt | eBay

Asus DSL-N10E ADSL2 WIFI Modem Router 5 DBI High Range All In One ADSL MODEM | eBay

Also, look out for the bsnl teracom wifi modem router, excellent range that has, and is quite low cost.

Though, I wonder why you wouldn't want to go for a separate router, coz if you were ever to move from an adsl based isp, the routers listed above would become worthless.

Thanks again for the reply! 🙂
I need a modem router and not just a router for the plain simple reason that I don't have a modem! Lol
the one given to me by BSNL got konked up and then when I approached them they said their stocks are empty and that I'll have to buy one from the market then I bought this annoying Digisol modem router.
are u from Bangalore?, any idea where I can get it? I'll ask in computerwarehouse if not gotta search SP road. 🙂

Thanks again for your reply X720! 🙂
Well, the simple reason why i want a WiFi router modem and not just a router is cuz i don't have a darn Modem! LOL
The one given to me by BSNL had got konked up last december and when I approached them for a new WiFi modem, the aunty at the Store looked clueless and said that their stocks have been empty (maybe till the next ice age! lol) and that I've to buy one from the market which I did and it turned out a to be a huge annoyance. I would check them out and thanks for the recommendation on the Asus one.
Btw if u are from Blr I wanna trouble you with another question, can u please suggest me from where I can buy it? I'll call computerwarehouse, if it ain't available there I'll have to search SP Road. Hare Krishna!