• Thread starter Thread starter kalyan89
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 2,157

kalyan89

torrentaddict
ISP
BSNL
I created a ssh on my linux mint 12 (running on laptop) and I want to transfer files from my win7 (desktop) to my linux mint through WinSCP. I have a multi LAN port modem. Both desktop and laptop are connected to the internet. Now my query is, Does BSNL counts my sftp transfer between my laptop and desktop for that 2.5GB download + upload limit?I'm on a 2Mbps 600 Combo plan.Could someone shed some light on this?

As long as you are connecting using a LAN IP, you should be fine.

As long as you are connecting using a LAN IP, you should be fine.
You mean 192.168.1.x on both. amarite?

If the IP addresses of both the computers are private IPs (192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x or 172.16-31.x.x) then the transfer shouldn't be charged as it won't be going through the Internet in most configurations. OTOH if you have set up your own routing then you wouldn't need to ask. 🙂Another way is to check the speed of the transfer. If the transfer speed is more than the plan speed, then it isn't going through the BSNL network.

Out of curiosity, why SFTP? Why not a simple mount?
Since I run two completely different OS, mount over using a network cable or a easy transfer isn't an option at all. Moreover, SFTP is secure in all ways

SAMBA share?
Does SAMBA share work well when two different OS are involved? Could you please elucidate on this?

Since I run two completely different OS, mount over using a network cable or a easy transfer isn't an option at all. Moreover, SFTP is secure in all ways
WTF. Are you kidding me?

----------

Never mind, manu has already posted

Well SFTP is best as a quick solution to transfer files between Windows and Linux (running at the same time on two different computers) and it's secure enough. Samba is not as secure and debugging it is a headache.