The Impossible Bill - Rs. 13827

• Thread starter Thread starter helloanand
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 3,231
Status
Not open for further replies.

helloanand

I have a 512 kbps Tata Indicom Broadband with a 1 GB cap. Last month they sent me a bill of Rs. 13241.40. Yes, that thirteen thousand, two hundred, forty one and forty paise. :blink:

When I looked up my usage online, it showed that there was a download of 6 GB in a 24 hour period. Aah!, now lets do some calculation.

My broadband speed is 512 kbps. So assuming that I get full throughput (I know no one gets full throughput, but lets assume this for a minute), it would be around 64 KB/ second.

So with 64 kilobytes/second, I can download a maximum of 3840 kilobytes or 3.75 MB per minute.

At 3.75 MB per minute, I can download 225 MB per hour (Whoa!).

And with 225 MB per hour, I can only download 5400 MB per hour or 5.27 GB. That is still shy of their 6 GB claim in my usage.

Ofcourse the big assumption I got full throughput for the full 24 hour period. Haha. No one ever gets it. Ever. So my question is, WTF? How do I go after these blood sucking bastards?

Thanks in advance for your help!

QUOTE(helloanand @ Sep 23 2006, 12:31 PM) [snapback]63030[/snapback]
I have a 512 kbps Tata Indicom Broadband with a 1 GB cap. Last month they sent me a bill of Rs. 13241.40. Yes, that thirteen thousand, two hundred, forty one and forty paise. :blink:

When I looked up my usage online, it showed that there was a download of 6 GB in a 24 hour period. Aah!, now lets do some calculation.

My broadband speed is 512 kbps. So assuming that I get full throughput (I know no one gets full throughput, but lets assume this for a minute), it would be around 64 KB/ second.

So with 64 kilobytes/second, I can download a maximum of 3840 kilobytes or 3.75 MB per minute.

At 3.75 MB per minute, I can download 225 MB per hour (Whoa!).

And with 225 MB per hour, I can only download 5400 MB per hour or 5.27 GB. That is still shy of their 6 GB claim in my usage.

Ofcourse the big assumption I got full throughput for the full 24 hour period. Haha. No one ever gets it. Ever. So my question is, WTF? How do I go after these blood sucking bastards?

Thanks in advance for your help!
[/b]

Incase you were wondering, my family lightly uses broadband at home. Their average usage per month is in the range of 400-600 MB. (it goes up, when our friends in Redmond issue security patches and updates).

You didnt include upload usage in ur calculations......

QUOTE(avinds @ Sep 23 2006, 02:12 PM) [snapback]63040[/snapback]
You didnt include upload usage in ur calculations......
[/b]

Are you kidding me? The maximum speed I can get upload/download combined is 512 kbps. So if I was uploading/downloading simulatenously, I wouldnt still use more than the pathetic 512 kbps.

What can a home user be downloading worth 6 GB in one day!

hhhmm u could try talking to some executive and see if he decides to help you.. i dont see wat else you could do.. thats the problem with private companies, the executives are polite but they're not much help when it comes to things like these.. you're not going to pay the bill right? so get ready to kiss your connection goodbye and look for another alternative such as dataone or airtel 😉

QUOTE(ogtripleog @ Sep 23 2006, 02:46 PM) [snapback]63044[/snapback]
hhhmm u could try talking to some executive and see if he decides to help you.. i dont see wat else you could do.. thats the problem with private companies, the executives are polite but they're not much help when it comes to things like these.. you're not going to pay the bill right? so get ready to kiss your connection goodbye and look for another alternative such as dataone or airtel 😉
[/b]

Yes thats my last resort. Though, I've been happy with their connection otherwise. But, I am not paying that exhorbitant bill for sure.

Thanks!

http://core.nic.in/

When everything else fails you can knock the corecentre doors..but i would suggest to use it as the weapon of last resort after everything fails. One of the forum members used it too and it worked for him.

QUOTE(LoneCrusader @ Sep 23 2006, 04:53 PM) [snapback]63053[/snapback]
http://core.nic.in/

When everything else fails you can knock the corecentre doors..but i would suggest to use it as the weapon of last resort after everything fails. One of the forum members used it too and it worked for him.
[/b]

Thanks, this is awesome!!

Let us know if you are successful in making the customer service respond to your requests using the website: core.nic.in - lots of other people would be helped by such an avenue of action.

any idea what happend to this problem?my isp, 7star, was taken over by tata indicom abt in feb-march.but software, pricing all remained as per 7star.but now this month tataindicomm ppl sent me letter that theywill integrate it with VSNL directly. so soon this should happen.I am on MB based plan. twice 7star logs had shown some 120MBdownload (and just 100-200kb upload, which is not possible) in 2hrsbut on complaining they readily gave me MBs back.I dont know if this would happen with tata-indicomm ppl.otherwise i will make complete switchover to MTNL.

yes i agree.i have both mtnl and 7star(tata/vsnl)my monthly requirement is abt 800MB so i took mtnl 400 and 7star 450 scheme.7star used to go down a lot but was cheap. mtnl earlier i didnt know how it worked.so my idea was to get 2lines as atleast 1 line will be working.but now i know MTNL has never gone down in 2months. so i can safely switch overcompletely incase tata-vsnl starts bugging me like he did in above case.

Lol don't worry!! Above was a postpaid connection while u r having a prepaid one!!

MTNL Triband is best, virtually no downtime! I am using it since June 2005! And yes I am a satisfied subscriber, had 2 downtimes, one which was solved in 1 day (less than 24 hrs) and the other downtime for 14 days 🙁.

Customer service sucks but u dont require customer service often because u dont have regular problems. Plus MTNL does not cheat with Speed or Billing.

They make mistakes in billing, like once my night usage (when i was on 590NU) was charged but got it reversed after I ran from table to table for 3-4 hrs... 😉

Bottomline: MTNL Hai Toh Sahi Hai...! 🙂

QUOTE(gavnitsingh @ Oct 27 2006, 07:07 PM) [snapback]66849[/snapback]
Lol don't worry!! Above was a postpaid connection while u r having a prepaid one!!
[/b]

how can u be sure i have prepaid connection?
infact with prepaid its more risky..if ur account is overcharges.. ur money is
already paid..

with postpaid.. u may not pay at all for over charging.

Status
Not open for further replies.