Static IP changed, now heavy latencies.

• Thread starter Thread starter D@rekills4
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 3,672

D@rekills4

ISP
BSNL
Well, my static IP which was 59.xx.xx.xx has changed to 117.xxx.xxx.xxx in the last week....
Now I am getting heavy latencies to almost everything....

And its impossible to play any online games...
Like in World of Warcraft I got around 1000+ MS latency yesterday. :X

Heres a trace route of "www.Google.com"

Is it normal?

I faced same problem and still facing this problem sometimes....Which plan u r using ?I have 750combo and after using 6 GB my speed capped to 512 kbps and IP changed from 117 to 59 but now again its changed to 117 and speed remains same but sometimes ping goes too high

Well, my static IP which was 59.xx.xx.xx has changed to 117.xxx.xxx.xxx in the last week....
Now I am getting heavy latencies to almost everything....

And its impossible to play any online games...
Like in World of Warcraft I got around 1000+ MS latency yesterday. :X

Heres a trace route of "www.Google.com"

Is it normal?

Too lengthy route.
Here is mine.

Tracing route to google.com [173.194.36.14]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms ***.***.***.***
2 2 ms 2 ms 2 ms ***.***.***.***
3 10 ms 9 ms 9 ms ***.***.***.***
4 10 ms 12 ms 8 ms ^^^.^^^.^^^.^^^
5 8 ms 9 ms 8 ms ###.###.###.###
6 11 ms 10 ms 10 ms 111.93.65.1
7 21 ms 18 ms 20 ms 192.168.237.205
8 19 ms 18 ms 16 ms 72.14.222.166
9 18 ms 17 ms 24 ms 209.85.241.52
10 19 ms 17 ms 17 ms 209.85.241.187
11 18 ms 17 ms 17 ms 173.194.36.14

***(private my network ip)
^ # (isp server ip)

Trace complete.

It sometimes happen when one server is under maintenance. Normally, BSNL allows their customers to connect with 59.XX.XX.XX once FUP is over else with 117.XX.XX.XX. You may experience heavy latency because of peak demand and poor adsl link(poor line quality) as per line man of BSNL.

Too lengthy route.
Here is mine.

It sometimes happen when one server is under maintenance. Normally, BSNL allows their customers to connect with 59.XX.XX.XX once FUP is over else with 117.XX.XX.XX. You may experience heavy latency because of peak demand and poor adsl link(poor line quality) as per line man of BSNL.

I see....
Thanks for this info.... 🙂

BTW would there be any idea when I will be switched back to the previous server?

I see....
Thanks for this info.... 🙂

BTW would there be any idea when I will be switched back to the previous server?

I tried a lot to do to get speed before FUP even by entering static ip and I tried to connect but I couldn't.

I think servers are configured in such a way that do not allow users to connect to previous server once users used their given FUP limit.

Change yoyr dns to google's. You should see a certain improvement Bsnl's routing sends you to the states and back !

Change yoyr dns to google's. You should see a certain improvement Bsnl's routing sends you to the states and back !

Agree with x720. It may help in increasing somewhat fast browsing speed if you are connected with Google DNS very well which depends on BSNL.

I get better performance to Google DNS because I get connectivity from the ISP having better infrastructure offers low latency.

----------

Also check the line quality from Xmission(Speedtest).
It will give you better idea about ping time and jitter. Ping should be high whereas jitter should be low.

----------

Here is my result.

I get average 282ms latency. It may be because xmission speedtest server is in Utah, USA to which we normally get 200ms latency even if we access website from the broadband connection. I am pretty sure no body get 2ms jitter unless user has leased line or fiber connection. No company has that kind of performance.
My connection is preferable for online gaming and VOIP only if user subscribes for high speed tariff.

Guys, just a question.Before the BSNL DNS started giving high latencies and lag badly, it used to give me 280 latency in World of Warcraft....But now, with Google DNS I am getting 380 latency....Any specific reason for this and any way to fix this?

Guys, just a question.

Before the BSNL DNS started giving high latencies and lag badly, it used to give me 280 latency in World of Warcraft....

But now, with Google DNS I am getting 380 latency....

Any specific reason for this and any way to fix this?

How do you measure latency?
If you have breaking(unstable) connectivity from your provider or poor service from your ISP, you can not get better performance.

Let me give you an example.
You want to pump water through a pipe to your neighbor but that pipe which is connected to your neighbor has got punctured but you are able to send water. Definitely, there will be leakage. There is no way to send water with out leakage because water flowing through the pipe has a problem. In a similar way, the requests are going from you to Google DNS server through your ISP network having problem which is offering high latency.
There is not solution whether you connect yourself to Google DNS, Ultra DNS or Open DNS.
Nothing is gonna work but yeah, if you find a way which is clear having low latency like BSNL server or any proxy server to which you are getting less ping time and fast speed. Then situation can be changed.

You can complain to officials about high latency. I think as per TRAI rules, ISP network should not give more than 150ms to any server(or may be to any Indian ip) said to me when I called to D-Link support.

----------

I do not think TRAI has above kind of norms. If it is, no body is following.

How do you measure latency?
If you have breaking(unstable) connectivity from your provider or poor service from your ISP, you can not get better performance.

Let me give you an example.
You want to pump water through a pipe to your neighbor but that pipe which is connected to your neighbor has got punctured but you are able to send water. Definitely, there will be leakage. There is no way to send water with out leakage because water flowing through the pipe has a problem. In a similar way, the requests are going from you to Google DNS server through your ISP network having problem which is offering high latency.
There is not solution whether you connect yourself to Google DNS, Ultra DNS or Open DNS.
Nothing is gonna work but yeah, if you find a way which is clear having low latency like BSNL server or any proxy server to which you are getting less ping time and fast speed. Then situation can be changed.

You can complain to officials about high latency. I think as per TRAI rules, ISP network should not give more than 150ms to any server(or may be to any Indian ip) said to me when I called to D-Link support.

----------

I do not think TRAI has above kind of norms. If it is, no body is following.

Thanks for this reply.
Quite helpful 🙂

I was telling the latency I get to the Molten-WoW servers which is currently hosted in US.
But while I was using BSNL DNS, I got latency around 280 which is quite bearable.
But BSNL messed some things up cause of which I had to switch to Google DNS, which is not bad but the latency to the Molten-WoW server increases to 380 which is quite high for WoW and I keep sucking at the game cause of this.

Thanks for this reply.
Quite helpful 🙂

I was telling the latency I get to the Molten-WoW servers which is currently hosted in US.
But while I was using BSNL DNS, I got latency around 280 which is quite bearable.
But BSNL messed some things up cause of which I had to switch to Google DNS, which is not bad but the latency to the Molten-WoW server increases to 380 which is quite high for WoW and I keep sucking at the game cause of this.

Have you tried it through Google Open DNS and also Ultra DNS is helpful. They are giving me better ping time. Google gives me around 15-25ms.

Have you tried it through Google Open DNS and also Ultra DNS is helpful. They are giving me better ping time. Google gives me around 15-25ms.

Yes...
The BSNL DNS used to give me a perfect latency until something went wrong with it....
And the Google DNS give me 100+ latency than what the BSNL DNS used to give me before it got messed up....
At the moment I am using Google DNS....