Indian Army Chief: We are under-prepared. Government: Yawn.

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
The letter written by the Army chief, General V K Singh, to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on March 12 this year on the state of our defence preparedness is explosive, and shocking. The leaked letter makes a lot of points, critical among which are the following:

1. The Army’s tank fleet is “devoid of critical ammunition to defeat enemy tanks”.

2. Our air defence is “97 per cent obsolete and it doesn’t give the deemed confidence to protect”.

3. The infantry is crippled with “deficiencies and lacks night fighting” capabilities.

4. Elite special forces are “woefully short of essential weapons”.

5. There are “large-scale voids in critical surveillance” capabilities.

How come the world’s largest arms importer is 97% underprepared, PM Sir?

Toocool

Addicts
Apr 2, 2007
because ..........arms and all kind of supplies rusted fast..........as they were of very poor quality.........bought at steeeeeeep prices , so that more profit to supplying companies and profit sharing to their indian dalaaaals:miserable:

----------

and infact indian dalaals made forged companies just to supply supplies at steeeep prices ............and get contracts.

SVK

svknet.wordpress.com
Regulars
Jan 19, 2007
svknet.wordpress.com
We need to check if physically any arms/ammunition existed, or not :D

rodeoz

Mirror Cracking Material
Regulars
May 21, 2011
Delhi
I find it shocking that instead of taking the concerns of the Army chief seriously, many politicians are rather expressing concern over the leak of this letter. Yeah, a leak is disturbing. But way more disturbing is the state of affairs of our defence preparedness. For a nation surrounded by two hostile neighbours, we are alarmingly lax about national security.

sachins

The Bastard Son
Regulars
Mar 21, 2009
Thane
This is not new. Rank officers in the army have been talking about difficulty in making ends meet with the minimum resources available. But the army chief presenting the claim in figures and statistics is a welcome step.I wonder where the defence funds aimed at modernization are going? Maybe they are still stuck in acquisition bureaucracy.I guess congress believes that there won't be any full scale war.

Fiber_Optic

Regulars
Regulars
Jul 31, 2008
I find it shocking that instead of taking the concerns of the Army chief seriously, many politicians are rather expressing concern over the leak of this letter.

Yeah, a leak is disturbing. But way more disturbing is the state of affairs of our defence preparedness. For a nation surrounded by two hostile neighbours, we are alarmingly lax about national security.

Only BJP is focusing on defence preparedness, most others are just focussing on the leak, even JDU from NDA is asking for the Army Chief to be sacked.

iCon

masoom kameena!
Regulars
May 18, 2011
I seriously dont have any more energy left to discuss issues of my Country. :(

Waiting for Kalki avatar of God to save us! Hope that day will come soon.