• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 94
  • Views Views 10,493

SVK

twitter.com/svknet
ISP
Jio Fiber, Airtel 5G
Media giants vie for cricket telecast rights > afaqs! news & features

The bidding war for media rights of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI)'s matches to be played in India is heating up, with more contenders joining the race. The rights include television, internet and mobile coverage for six years, starting July 2012.
According to BCCI officials, Multi-Screen Media (MSM), which telecasts the Indian Premier League on MAX, has bought the invitation to tender. The network also plans to a launch a new sports channel, Six, this year.

Apart from MSM, ESPN-STAR Sports (ESS), Bennett, Coleman & Co Ltd (BCCL)-led consortium and Reliance-Network18 have picked up tender forms.

An ESS spokesperson said they would not comment on these matters, while BCCL chief executive Ravi Dhariwal said it was an internal matter.

Subhash Chandra's Zee group, which owns sports channels under the TEN umbrella, is believed to be interested in the rights, but is waiting for BCCI to withdraw its case against it.

The bids will have to be given on April 2 in Chennai. "The marketing committee will meet in Chennai to receive and open the bids next Monday," said a BCCI official.

After BCCI has terminated Broadcast deal with Nimbus, BCCI has invited fresh tenders. ESPN-STAR looking to gain the rights which it has been missing for long period. Sony-MSM which already hold BCCI backed IPL rights also looking to grab the rights to boost its newly planned Sports channel SIX. Zee group has case pending against BCCI, so it has restrained itself from bidding currently, but it would also be happy to get rights. Apart from this three, surprising to see BCCL (owners on Times group channels - Times Now, ET Now, Movies Now, Zoom) and Reliance-Network18 (who recently acquired ETV channels). April 2 is the date to watch out for all the happening in biggest broadcast deal in Cricket.

i hope youtube gets more rights for the matches broadcast in india. their coverage is excellent 😀 and expensive 😀

I think it depends upon broadcaster whether to put match on Youtube or not. Broadcast right are not directly given by BCCI to Google (Youtube). Sony for I P L was broadcasting matches on Youtube (not sure).

If I read correctly all the rights are going to be sold together, and the winner of the bid, will then have to resell"The rights include television, internet and mobile coverage for six years, starting July 2012."

that is stupid then. google would not able to bid 😕 they should have sold the rights separately. sheer stupidity. we would end up with some shitty service like indiatimes broadcasting the matches online 😕

I hope ESS wins the rights. Wouldn't want to watch Cricket on Ten or any other crappy sports channel.BCCI as it is streams all games in India on its website in good quality. I don't think that will stop with the sale of Internet rights.

Willow TV streamed the Asia Cup for free on their YouTube channel with an option for 720p streaming. Hoping the one who gets the Internet rights gives us a similar option.

Any channel who will broadcast cricket will have shitty coverage. Be it anyone ESS, Ten Sports or Reliance!!!

I think Sony/MSM would get it - Simply because they are likely to bid the most, since they already have some content & have announced a new channel, and will be desperate to get more to fill up the content on the channel.

I think Sony/MSM would get it - Simply because they are likely to bid the most, since they already have some content & have announced a new channel, and will be desperate to get more to fill up the content on the channel.
A new sports channel?