Spectranet Youtube Uneven Speeds - Server Issue

sachins

The Bastard Son
[OP]
Regulars
Mar 21, 2009
Thane
Just to update:

The smooth youtube experience lasted for about 20days since installation. Not anymore though. SN has setup a few more dedicated youtube servers in other metros. Getting data from these servers mean that I get it on my plan speed(256kbps).

From spectranet website - here

Direct peering with NIXI, Google and Akamai.

Google android has been throttled to plan speed too. DC++ connection is routed through plan speed also.

In simple words, everything works at plan speed. Marketing words like "partnerships" and "Direct peering" doesn't improve experince of end user.

mgcarley

Founder, Hayai Broadband
Regulars
Jun 22, 2009
Just to update:

The smooth youtube experience lasted for about 20days since installation. Not anymore though. SN has setup a few more dedicated youtube servers in other metros. Getting data from these servers mean that I get it on my plan speed(256kbps).

From spectranet website - here

Google android has been throttled to plan speed too. DC++ connection is routed through plan speed also.

In simple words, everything works at plan speed. Marketing words like "partnerships" and "Direct peering" doesn't improve experince of end user.

It sounds like Spectranet aren't providing intra-network transfers at high speeds and instead they are providing you as per your plan speed and you're getting what you're paying them for.

sachins

The Bastard Son
[OP]
Regulars
Mar 21, 2009
Thane
Local cable wallahs give a dc++ address and a user pass. Each city(cable wallah) can have a different address and its own user pass. The speeds on these address's work on ethernet line speed.

sachins

The Bastard Son
[OP]
Regulars
Mar 21, 2009
Thane
I think it has something to do with congestion. ie, if i watch one YouTube url at a time, it connects me to the spectranet cache server. But if i open too many YouTube urls at one time, more than half of them bypass the spectranet cache servers.

sachins

The Bastard Son
[OP]
Regulars
Mar 21, 2009
Thane
This Trick not work pls help
It's not exactly a trick.

Spectranet probably had been doing some weird routing in the past which maybe why youtube ran without buffering(~10mbps).

But the benefit is over now. If you have a 512kbps plan then youtube will run on 512kbps.