Stuck pixel on a month old Defy+, some queries.

• Thread starter Thread starter Nishant
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 42
  • Views Views 8,169

Nishant

Staff member
ISP
Jetway FTTH, BSNL FTTH
I had bought a new Motorola Defy+ around a month back and yesterday I noticed a stuck/dead pixel on the screen. It's near the center of the screen, . It's only just one pixel which doesn't show proper color, and while screen is black that pixel is always red. It feels irritating and my attention always goes to that pixel whenever I use my phone:annoyed:. I've tried some apps which claim to fix dead pixels, none worked.My query is whether this would be covered under warranty. I have heard about some companies having warranty policy regarding dead pixels i.e. minimum 3 - 4 dead pixels to claim warranty. Any idea whether Motorola has such policy? I just wanted this information before going to the service centre so that I can argue with them in case they reject the claim.

check the documentation on motorola website. dead pixels on smartphone screens should be covered and since the display is so small, one pixel should be enough!

but it would be better if you go through the documentation on motorola india website or the papers that came with the phone with the information and carry it with you to the service center.

sucks. because if they do decide to replace the screen, it would pretty much destroy the integrity of the phone itself.

----------

great. the warranty link on motorola india website points to a dead link: http://www.motorola.com/Support/IN-EN/Static_Files/India_Warranty.pdf

sucks. because if they do decide to replace the screen, it would pretty much destroy the integrity of the phone itself.

Even I'm having second thoughts because of the same reason. As this device claims to be water proof/dust proof, it may loose this feature if opened. I've read the manual which had come with it, nothing mentioned regarding warranty on dead pixels. Now searching on Motorola website regarding the same.

----------
http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/Support/IN-EN/Static_Files/India_Warranty.pdf

This link works. Nothing mentioned on this page too.

Motorola India does not seem to have an Indian Twitter account. Try contacting https://twitter.com/#!/Motorola

----------

if you had purchased it from flipkart, they do have a 30 day replacement warranty no questions asked.

----------

MOTOROLA DEFY

there is a serial number entry box in the left column. try entering your serial number here. maybe it would point you to the right document?

----------

http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/Support/IN-EN/Static_Files/India_Warranty.pdf

found the document. does not have much details. from what i see, the dead pixel cannot be due to physical abuse so it should technically be covered.

pixel count based warranties are usually applicable on LCD displays because they are very large.

----------

weird. the second pdf link i posted is the same one as the first one! and it was not working a while ago. 😕

and i have already sent a tweet and an email to motorola people. now i would look stupid. 🙁

----------

argh. they are different links 😀

I've tweeted to @Motorola asking them for info. Will update their reply here. Absolutely no abuse, I care a lot while using my mobile. Never even bumped.

Here you go:

I know its minute, but feels very irritating to see this on a phone which is just a month old.

that sucks. i have a similar problem with the display on my phone but that i think is because of the zagg skin that has developed some anomaly.

that sucks. i have a similar problem with the display on my phone but that i think is because of the zagg skin that has developed some anomaly.

Hmm. I have not used any screenguard as this one has a Corning Gorilla glass which claims to be scratchproof.

yeah yeah i know. dead pixels have nothing to do with the skin. i am tempted to get rid of the skin now that it is all messed up. but the display would not last without damage for a week due to my rough usage. 😀 you should definitely get it fixed. if the service center guys are not helpful, raise halla gulla. 😀

yeah yeah i know. dead pixels have nothing to do with the skin. i am tempted to get rid of the skin now that it is all messed up. but the display would not last without damage for a week due to my rough usage. 😀

you should definitely get it fixed. if the service center guys are not helpful, raise halla gulla. 😀

Yeah, I think I should go for it. I'll have to get my device unrooted first as I rooted it the day I bought it and made some changes to get HD video recording and Panorama view in camera. Thank God I had taken backup of original files. I had used Unlockroot to root it, which has the unroot option too, hope it would work.

I had used Unlockroot to root it, which has the unroot option too, hope it would work.

Why don't you try a simple update software using Moto's official software? I think that should rid you of all roots..

Why don't you try a simple update software using Moto's official software? I think that should rid you of all roots..

Well, I had tried Motorola Software Update. It just says there is no new software available for my device. No option to reload the software either. I guess I will have to get the SBF file and flash it with RSDLite. All this, in case Unlock Root is unable to unroot the device.

BTW, does reseting device to factory default unroot the device and restore original files? It used to get unrooted on my Samsung Galaxy 3.