• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 24
  • Views Views 4,958

michschu1

Regular
I got banned!
ISP
BSNL Broadband
Hi my Dear Friends and Brethren of the Divided States of India, Been Missing you guys:sentimental: for a while due to major burn out(house hunting can be a B*tC#!) Now it so happens after 4 months of not having used most of my electronic stuff, my monitor, modem, Printer, etc started acting up! Yep, all at the same damn time! Still haven't plugged in my Audio Video components so am afraid how they are gonna fare when the time comes! 🙁Replaced my sucky BSNL defunct modem as they would not give me a replacement(I don't even want to go near the time they put me through, but probably will on a separate thread which will definitely make people run away from BSNL!) with a D-Link 2750U and as for my Viewsonic monitor am doing guess work to log-in as I have to keep pressing the power button on and off to make it finally display that too after reaching the log-in screen only 🙁 Weird problem. The thing is my Epson CX1500 printer just gave up the ghost after serving me all this while without issue having used only genuine cartridges from 2004!(Note to Self: Never EVER use Colin Liquid or any other liquid to clean your printer)I have as usual been doing my freakin' extensive research for two days and nights straight on all the types of printers and the so called Pros and Cons of each, but all I can read between the lines are there seems to be more Con-Work going on by the Printer companies recently making use of pathetic tactics to hump the customers to the core. From what I have checked out, I have squared up to a HP Photosmart 6510 E - All-in-One B211e Price mentioned as Rs. 8,499/= on Flipkart and very tempted by the reviewer on the page saying not to think anymore since it seems too damn apt to the situation. lolConsidering factors were: Separate cartridges for each color. Wireless. Low Power Consumption and supposedly Good Photo Printing. There are others that I liked for certain features, but Hell no am I going near them because the price is seriously way high considering they are supposed to be printers and add-ons to our computer not equal or exceed the price of the existing computer! Canon was supposed to be a number one choice according to some suggestions, but same feature set costs a bomb on Canon models.Few things, I am very damn concerned about are, I know that a lot of printers F*#K around by making the So called multifunction printer stop functioning or losing its ability to use its other functions once ONE single cartridge gets empty while the others are still with ink, which is stupid and a serious flaw considering the price of these units. Also if the printers screw around with taking color ink whenever I am doing just simple or basic B&W document printouts, unnecessarily utilizing ink that it is not supposed to.I would like anyone with real world usage or knowledge of printers that do this crap to enlighten me on which ones do and SCREAM so that I can stay away from them. Also guide me in the right direction regarding printers with the aforementioned preferences (Separate ink cartridges per color & wireless/smartphone accessible) and other similar models which have the most cost effective solution (inkjet), as opposed to laser, as they are too highly priced for my liking. Would highly appreciate the help, but the thing is it is quite urgent, and from what I have read, there are a very few similar ones albeit some features missing or price too high for only some of the features instead of a good solid feature set. I am a stickler for quality yet don't like to be too spend happy nor penny-wise pound foolish, so hope I am given a best choice recommendation with reasons for the same so that I can have a lookup and go in for a final kill.:beer: CHEERS... oops... Sorry! No Alcohol in Lent! lol :blushing:Thanks and Regards, Hoping for some lightening fast recommendations, and please remember I hate comments on my long... posts! 😛 lmaoMichael :smartass: Wisefool Genius

I would personally suggest avoiding HP deskjets. I have had horrible experience with them. Maybe their eprinters are better. Cannot say. I am currently using a Canon and it has worked well for me. I believe Canon would have wireless printers as well. Though HP has their ePrint technology that works something like Google Cloud Print.

Even I have had bad experiences with HP .. Canon is better, albeit a bit more expensive in cartridges & also doesn't have individual color cartridges. Some people have given good feedback on Epson as well. But that would be on the basic model.Also, if you analyze, if the printer cost is less, it would probably have a high maintenance charge (cartridges etc). The photosmart refills will cost you about 2000-2500 (300 pages for each color?, not sure if each color) or about 4500 (750 pages each color)...So include that in your plans for evaluating the cost etc...

Oh God! But then Deskjet is a different range and Photosmart is a different range though the similarity is (inkjet) class. The problem is that Canon will have models that are equivalent, but either won't be available in India. Availability is a real problem in our country sometimes. For Wireless Router, Asus RT-N66U is supposed to be the latest and best router, but when I asked here in Chennai they said the only available router is ASUS RT-56U and there is all probability that the 66U won't come to India as there are models released country wise, so I got fed up and took the D-Link 2750U. Cheap and well it works for now. the 56U is Rs. 7980/=Back to the topic. I like the Canon printers too, but the models which have the same features are very high priced and similar models are not available on Flipkart and doubt they'll be available elsewhere too, seems to be very less options of Canon in fact or out of stock models in Flipkart and on Canon India Website there are only few models from those mentioned on the WWW. As always though, as always. Anyone have any idea if a similar featured Canon model All-in One Wireless Printer is available in Chennai for below 10k? Chromaniac aren't the cartridges too costly on the Canons?!

yes they are. but it does not take 15 minutes of cursing and hitting the printer to take out a single printout so i do not mind much.

Yes, Canon cartridges cost more than HP .... But unlike HP, in Canon I find that the cartridge doesn't dry up too often & easily (Below Average Use) ... Maybe HP has improved now... But, I would rather go for Epson in future or any other brand, if not Canon rather choosing HP...

----------

yes they are. but it does not take 15 minutes of cursing and hitting the printer to take out a single printout so i do not mind much.

Yup, have suffered similar fate with HP as you have

also. as discussed in other threads. there are multiple ways to get around the cartridge prices.some printers support a kit that costs very less but can last for thousands of pages. i do not remember the name. some printers of course support locally refilled cartridges. if you have to take out tons of printouts, i guess i am not the best person to recommend anything. my yearly requirement is probably less than 100 pages. one cartridge usually work fine. and that is not that big of an expense when going to a movie and dinner would cost more today in a city like Gurgaon.

get any HP printer that uses the advantage series of cartridges. these are high capacity cartridges that can be refilled for around 199 @ cartridge world. total cost comes to around 40-50ps/pg b/w. original is around rs.430 (prints apprx 350-370pgs). all other hp printers come with small capacity cartridges and the printing cost thus is ridiculously high. stay away from them.fwiw i use hp k109a. been using it for heavy duty printing (my sis prints around 100+pages at a time) >1 yr now. never had any problems. have refilled cartridges for about 7-8 times before throwing them. it is really dirt cheap to print using the advantage cartridges. my ony advice is to stay away from the road side(read xerox walas etc) refillers. THEY WILL SCREW ur cartridges and the printer end up getting a bad name !!. go thru cartridge world etc and u will be ok. they test the cartridges after refilling and give waranty as well + home delivery and pick up!!the wirless ones in hp also have the advantage series of cartridges i think. just do a check online.

right. i think i have heard of this model. something in the k-series. this printer is slightly expensive but the cartridges are much cheaper than other HP printers. so it turns out to be cheaper in the longer run.

Err mhsabir I agree with you, and that is why I mentioned that I too was hoping a Canon would be the first and best choice, but the cost of both printer and cartridge doesn't seem justified according to the so called price per print factor. Flipkart has maybe one or two Canon Models mentioned though I think they're unfortunately out of stock which are mentioned as separate cartridge. As for the HP Photosmart, the XL cartridge prices are 826XL Black - Rs. 1194/- Cyan & Yellow Rs. 1013/- each, Magenta & PhotoInk Rs. 995/- each! Total Rs. 5210/= that is considering we're gonna hope that we replace only one or two cartridges at a time which get over unlike multicolor single cartridge which screws you when only one color is over.

There is one Canon E500 which is very highly recommended nowadays since it is supposed to have a higher printing capability, but it does not have wireless and costs above 5400/- It is difficult to differentiate the real differences too so had to spend hell a lot of time reading thru the specs of many. Especially with the MX MG MP IP prefixes for each model whether it is an all-in-one with wireless and whether it had separate ink tanks. I was kinda getting a feel that maybe IP is only Printer and the MX MG and MP were all in ones and not too sure if MX meant FAX specifically. The other models mentioned on Flipkart immediately hit the 15k mark 🙁 Am hoping that my purchase stays under or equal to the 10k mark because more than that would definitely feel like over kill for home use 🙁

----------

Hmmm... But then correct model numbers are important and moreover they should be available currently, because it looks like most of the good ones are either permanently discontinued or hard to get by🙁 I think based on the model numbers of the cartridge can find out if a cartridge is small or big, the 8XX series are supposedly bigger and have the XL option as I have mentioned in my previous post. As mentioned they would seem a costly affair if all the cartridges hit 0 at the same time! Also, I am very uncertain on the reliability of these so called kits and whether there are people capable of doing a satisfactory job in Chennai i.e. (Ritchie Street) or is it a DIY thing. I don't want to look like I was working in a paint shed though after a session of refilling! lol I tried to put a cartridge like that on my old Epson and it spat it out like no man's business and gave me a scare when it refused to recognize the original cartridge, but thankfully after a power cycle worked with the original, hence the mention of sticking to the original cartridges and service-less or maintenance free working of my printer thus far!

Any Canon Model that is currently available

any specific reason why you are looking for a wireless printer? 🙂 you can use google cloud print to use the printer from wireless as long as the printer itself is connected to a computer running chrome 😛 i know this is a freaky alternative. 😀

Just for wireless printing of photos straight from my phone. Now just because it is a 3D phone, I hope I don't need a 3D printer to match or I might have to shell out my 3 lakhs then for a printer! lol... Unless I can borrow some cash from our corrupt guys 0.00003% of what they looted to get one though! lmao Well jokes apart kickass do you know if the Photosmart 6510 has options like that for the 826 cartridge? The link of toner refill shows for laser printer and the refill amount for a 82X series is put as Rs. 1000! Err the original 826XL cartridge costs almost the same price. two colors for 995 and the rest 1013 and one cartridge 1194! 194 difference on a refill to the original cartridge does not make a great deal breaker 🙁 The thing is he mentioned they buy old cartridges if I had only known, lol I had a whole set of both B&W and Color Cartridges from my Epson which I got rid of, ALL ORIGINAL!!! I wonder if they can attempt to repair my Epson Printer because it was working fine until the disco lights started on it.The thing is if there is a Canon printer that meets my specs nonetheless in the stipulated price bracket would be glad to pick it up. Looks like I'll have to force sit through another two hours and hope for someone to suggest a good Printer so that I can get it ASAP or I'll have to struggle to get another read through another 100 pages!!! I already can't feel my wrists and there's severe spasm pain in my neck and back, remember my blood circulation problem, it is still going strong, while I am going weaker!!! 🙁Come on Canon Printer! where are you?! Show yourself!!!

Err... The Photosmart E series already comes with Google-Cloud Print feature in-built so is the choice of a HP Photosmart 6510E a good one?! Strange that none of our IBF friends have used a HP Photosmart model to comment on it whether positive or negative : | Let's hope for the best. I will look for any Canon model that I can find coming under the same price bracket if not will have to make the jump or dare to take the risk as mentioned in my friend's signature line since no one is gonna guide me or should I say push me 😉 lolBut chromaniac, I do hope you understand Google's role in the bigger picture, please be careful as there might be a big brother conspiracy in the making or rather, none other than our very dear Google, taking up the duty on their behalf having become like an index and library of umpteen things on the web. A lot of people don't realize it per se, but then I don't find it strange that I receive spam mail or I get offer mails from particular sites whether I ask for it or not just by using the search o the pages I visit via Google.It would be wise not to be too open on the www, but then I seriously don't give a S#!T because I already know my days are numbered. And frankly it is a known fact that everything is somehow or the other going through without our permission whether we like it or not, take Facebook, Google etc, everything like security policies to restrictions keep changing whether we like it or not and eventually there's gonna be a day when someone spills the beans and there's gonna be chaos or chromaos with people wondering just how much about them has gone into the wrong hands... Ah well! Let's worry about one thing at a time now, shall we?! lol 😉