Are blood sugar monitors accurate...?

raman_286

Regular
[OP]
Regulars
Aug 2, 2011
Ambala
Guys I am really scared...My father was testing his blood sugar using Johnson & Johnson Blood sugar monitor....Seeing him...I also checked my blood sugar.....to my surprise I found it was 111 (fasting)....Well I am not overweight and just 21...Do you think they are accurate..? I'll again test it tomorrow...

cyberwiz

Regulars
Mar 11, 2005
Delhi
Yes generally they are accurate..though i cant specifically vouch for the one that you are using..there are two types 1) require coding 2) dont require coding...the latter are better as errors due to mismatching of the code are eliminated, i have a monitor from bayer that is pretty accurate because i have compared its results with a professional lab.A sugar level of 111 mg/dl though within the normal fasting limits does suggest prediabetes or a susceptibility to developing type 2 diabetes.. whether u are susceptible to it or not can only be determined your doctor

cyberwiz

Regulars
Mar 11, 2005
Delhi
absolutely nothing to worry about..its always better to see a doctor as a precautionary measure :smile:

naveen_reloaded

>
Regulars
Sep 2, 2007
They vary in a range of 10-30 mg/dl . We usually dont trust it , and generally use it for emergency ( read dka / hypoglycemia etc ). If you really need to rule out DM , go for fasting Blood sugar and Post postprandial BS . They give much accurate value , and depending on it , a MD will decide whether you have DM or not. At 21 age , the possibility are pretty narrow imo. Dont bother much , stay healthy and do exercise.

raman_286

Regular
[OP]
Regulars
Aug 2, 2011
Ambala
Thanks everyone....still I am so much worried coz in 5 days I am going for SSB interview at Bhopal to join IMA.....The most feared test is the medical one......I'll consult a doctor tomorrow...

raman_286

Regular
[OP]
Regulars
Aug 2, 2011
Ambala
These are needless worries .. Just concentrate on the interview
Thanks dude.....u just made me confident....

gaurang08

Regular
Regulars
Dec 17, 2009
Mumbai
Dude you could have had something sweet few hours back and not realized .. anyhow you dont get a accurate diabetes check like this ... to get detected first time you need to do a blood test and get your urine also tested .. This was a random test you did so your levels are nothing to worry honestly ... You also need to do this test called HbA1c .. relax man you are very young but still for precautions do a proper test if you are scared ..