• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 6,509

mhsabir

Xclusive
Staff member
ISP
Jio & Hathway
Ok... Went for Videocon D2H... Dish TV is no longer needed.. What do I do with it 😕 ... Do I need to call them up & ask them take away the equipment?

Auction on Ebay!

Ok... So we are the full owners of the equipment? And what about the VC ?Anyway, for 1090 - People will get 1 month pack free... So that brings down the worth of the equipment to below 700, plus its an old one (2007 model) ... And cost of delivering it etc... I am not sure if its even worth putting it up for auction ... I am more concerned about any liabilities in just throwing it away...

I am more concerned about any liabilities in just throwing it away...

Never 'throw away' any electronic item. It has some trace of your usage on it.

Best would be to gift it to someone you know who is interested in taking it.

When everyone already has one or looking to move to HD .. Its going to be even tough to "gift"

Call the CC !!Explain the situation to them...may be that's the best option right now !! 😕You can gift me if you want...Hell !! i would take anything for free !! 😕

Ok... I would consider "gifting"/selling it.. But my first question remains unanswered , I can call up DishTV.. But before I speak to the, I want to know what is the official standpoint - Who is the "owner" of the equipment - The dish, the STB, the other things like the wires etc.. even the VC...Also, gifting/selling means that someone else would be using the connection in my name .. and that could also be a concern as well..Can I sell the equipment without VC? Are VCs available without Dish (I know it was possible in some countries) ..

Other than VC..everything is yours...VC is not yours because..it contains some sensitive information about you..which can be misused!!Its as simple as a SIM card and a mobile!!But in DTH services..the decoding capability of other firm VC's is forbidden or rather not possible as of now...but i heard Dish has offered a universal VC to customers to buy...which they can insert in other STBs if they want!!But that service has just been introduced in new VCs!!

When DISH concept came to India... The general impression (via Terms & Conditions) was normally that CPE belongs to the company (DISH TV/Tata Sky - were the 2 competitors) ... I believe DD Direct was clear that it would be customer's... Hence my repeated questions...

Yea..because at that time and even now they are afraid that...someone can steal their technology to decode certain signals...which i don't think anyone has ever tried...and i assume you won't try either!!
For example..if i have a Dish connection at my friends house..i can use the decoder present in your STB to decode the signal received at your friends place and can see for free...which is not easy as it sounds though!!
thats why, for precautionary measures...operators took a step to secure their devices !! 🙂

Still if you have any queries..then you really should put those in front of the CC guys...and ask them what should you do!!
If i were you...Hell i would have taken the parts present in that device...which i don't recommend anyone...you know if it's really illegal or something 🙂

I deposited at Dishtv service center in Ghaziabad and get refund of 2490 Rs.:haha:.I have security slip of that amount.

My dad says he doe not think it was under a security deposit kind of scheme. He doesn't have any bill or anything..

I am being told that the cpe is dish tv's ownership and the amount that i paid of rs 2915 will not be refunded.On top of that they will collect it and charge rs 200.
what should i do?