• Thread starter Thread starter samcharles
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 2,174

samcharles

ISP
BSNL
Hello All

I am right now in United States using Motorola SBG901 Gateway(Inbuilt Modem+Router) for the internet services. As you may know, here I have a coax socket as input in the gateway. Check out the below link for the product specifications.

Newegg.com - MOTOROLA SBG901 SURFboard Wireless Cable Modem Gateway 38Mbps Downstream, 30Mbps Upstream Ethernet Port DOCSIS 2.0/1.1

And i am moving to India in near future, where I have a normal DSL modem(connected from a telephone line - Nokia siemens network modem) and the service provider is BSNL Broadband. And its not wifi. Will I be able to use the Gateway which i am using currently in India also.
If so, how can i do that. If not, i can think of the probablity of selling it here itself.

The reason for bringing this gateway to india is the enjoy the wifi.

Any help is greatly appreciated and valued.

Hello All

I am right now in United States using Motorola SBG901 Gateway(Inbuilt Modem+Router) for the internet services. As you may know, here I have a coax socket as input in the gateway. Check out the below link for the product specifications.

Newegg.com - MOTOROLA SBG901 SURFboard Wireless Cable Modem Gateway 38Mbps Downstream, 30Mbps Upstream Ethernet Port DOCSIS 2.0/1.1

And i am moving to India in near future, where I have a normal DSL modem(connected from a telephone line - Nokia siemens network modem) and the service provider is BSNL Broadband. And its not wifi. Will I be able to use the Gateway which i am using currently in India also.
If so, how can i do that. If not, i can think of the probablity of selling it here itself.

The reason for bringing this gateway to india is the enjoy the wifi.

Any help is greatly appreciated and valued.

Nope. will not. would have if it had a inbuilt switch, but since it doesn't. U could however subscribe to hathway, they provide cable net, in which case u can use this.

Nope. will not. would have if it had a inbuilt switch, but since it doesn't. U could however subscribe to hathway, they provide cable net, in which case u can use this.

Is there any connectors/adapters available for me to switch. Can you please eloborate why it will not work?
I dont understand and what do you mean by hathway?

Co-ax modem cannot run adsl. You could buy an rj11 coax converter (if there is something as such), and it still might not work. You'll need to buy a wifi router, so I'd suggest that you sell off your moto box.Hathway is one of India's largest cable operators and they provide internet through coax.

Thanks for the answer. I want to have wifi in my house in india. I am having Nokia-Siemens Network modem(DSL modem connected through phone line BSNL).With this modem can i get a wifi connection. If so, how it can be done? What are the other options available for getting a wifi BSNL line?

Just buy a wifi router and hook it up to your bsnl adsl siemens modem. Any specific budget for a new router ?

Just buy a wifi router and hook it up to your bsnl adsl siemens modem. Any specific budget for a new router ?

Thanks. Yes it can be less than Rs.1000/- or else which is the best one which you suggest? please help

Thanks. Yes it can be less than Rs.1000/- or else which is the best one which you suggest? please help

1. buy from US, will be cheaper, dont get any third world brand.. something like D-Link or Netgear, Linksys and u will get service in india too..

2. switch is a device which connects multiple computers in a network. most wifi routers come with inbuilt switch.. how many lan ports ur cable thing have? i'm guessing one right?

try this.. connect one pc via lan, and another via wifi.. check in network computers if both computers show up on each computer, if no.. sell this one, if yes! volla! it'll work!

^^

The wan port of the coax router should be rj45, i guess this one doesnt have something like that
Thanks so much for all your valuable inputs.

1. Personally i think buying from US is not a good option. As i see the rates are alsmost the same and moreover, in chennai, i can bargain and get some 200-300 less from the price online.

Site from Chennai Store:
TP-Link : TL-WR340GD : 54M Wireless Router - www.deltapage.com

Site from US:

TP-LINK Technologies TP-Link TL-WR340GD Wireless router - 4-port switch (integrated) - EN, Fast EN, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g

Also, the Power supply adapter will differ in volts, for that we need to buy another adapter. So i think buying in US is not worth. What you say?

2.The method you explained to connect the two computers one with ethernet and other one as wifi - I have mac computer not PC. Anyways as you said the Motorola Modem which i have will not be used in India right. So is there any use in testing this as you said. Please help?

thanks for the response. Can you please help which of the below routers will be helpful for me in india by connectng it to Nokia-siemens n/w mode.Linksys WRT54GL wireless-G broadband routerLinksys WRV54G VPN broadband router Netgear WPN824 v2 wireless routerNetgear WGP5606 wireless print server and 4 port switchWireless N Router WRT-400NLinksys WRT300N

thanks for the response. Can you please help which of the below routers will be helpful for me in india by connectng it to Nokia-siemens n/w mode.

Linksys WRT54GL wireless-G broadband router
Linksys WRV54G VPN broadband router
Netgear WPN824 v2 wireless router
Netgear WGP5606 wireless print server and 4 port switch
Wireless N Router WRT-400N
Linksys WRT300N

Dude have u even read the names of the routers you have listed some of them aren't even broadband routers.. Anyway 1,3,5 and 6 will work

thanks shreeya for your prompt response and help. So i need to buy the indian supported adapter right. And what will be the output from the Nokia -siemens modem(ethernet cable or lan cable ?) so as to give in the input in the router.

thanks shreeya for your prompt response and help. So i need to buy the indian supported adapter right. And what will be the output from the Nokia -siemens modem(ethernet cable or lan cable ?) so as to give in the input in the router.

ethernet cable, lan cable, rj45 are all the same thing..