• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 29
  • Views Views 14,741
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdee

ISP
Reliance,MTNL,Reliance NetConnect, Tata Photon
Anybody has opted for the reliance 12 Mbps plan?

I stay in delhi and i have been using mtnl 599 unlimited 512kbps plan (no fup) for around 4 years. MTNL has been really unreliable for me and the line goes down very often and the mtnl guys were unable to sort out the issue for me. Apart from these, i also have a Reliance Netconnect/Tata Photon. However, these wireless datacards are also very unreliable. Thus i had to move on to a consistent wireline broadband connection. Unfortunately Airtel was not available in my region so i had to opt for Reliance.

I opted for the Reliance 12Mbps plan. The day i got it installed (last week), the first thing i checked in front of the lineman was the bandwidth using speedtest and relaince speedometer. Reliance speedometer always shows me speeds between 5Mbps and 6Mbps nomatter what. The results of Speedtest.net and speedometer do not match at all. Nomatter what, i have never seen speeds of 12Mbps. Another point is that the browsing speeds might be good (youtube buffering happens automatically) but while downloading applications and softwares, i usually get a speed of 64kBps -100KBps implying that my actual speed is around 512KBps-1MBps. I have been calling the reliance customer care everyday but nobody has a clue. One TSR told me that the speed you will get would be between 1-2 Mbps only since the 12Mbps line has a contention ration of 1:8 impliying that the bandwidth is shared between 8 people. Nomatter what i argued, he failed to accept that there was an issue. Iv raised the issue a number of times but it really doesnt help.
The connection is through what it looks like a normal ADSL cable (though it looks a bit thinner than the normal LAN cable) and without a model

https://www.speedtest.net/result/1817613098.png

1:8 stands for download to upload ratio.. According to plan if download is 12mbps.. Then upload should be 1.5mbps..Up they're looting you.. Slight 1-2know variation is acceptable.. Certainly not this much my friend.

One TSR told me that the speed you will get would be between 1-2 Mbps only since the 12Mbps line has a contention ration of 1:8 impliying that the bandwidth is shared between 8 people.

Company should not use it as an excuse IMHO.

50:1

What this means in the 'worst case' is that you could be sharing a 500 Kbit/s connection with up to 49 other users. So if they were all using it at the same time 'theoretically' you would only get 10 Kbit/s (not very fast at all - in fact quite a bit slower than a normal modem).

Remember if you are not getting the speed you expect it can be due to the contention ratio but also to many other factors including the capacity of the remote site you are accessing, the quality and length of your telephone line from the local BT exchange

Source

So, they are trying to mislead you.

I wonder if there is any provision to take legal actions against such lyers.

What a plight. Paying for 12 mbps connection and getting download speed of 100kbps. :beat-up: Companies are literally looting customers and that too openly. I think your Bad day had started buddy . More " Nautanki " of Reliance will be followed by 🙁

Anybody has opted for the reliance 12 Mbps plan?

I stay in delhi and i have been using mtnl 599 unlimited 512kbps plan (no fup) for around 4 years. MTNL has been really unreliable for me and the line goes down very often and the mtnl guys were unable to sort out the issue for me. Apart from these, i also have a Reliance Netconnect/Tata Photon. However, these wireless datacards are also very unreliable. Thus i had to move on to a consistent wireline broadband connection. Unfortunately Airtel was not available in my region so i had to opt for Reliance.

I opted for the Reliance 12Mbps plan. The day i got it installed (last week), the first thing i checked in front of the lineman was the bandwidth using speedtest and relaince speedometer. Reliance speedometer always shows me speeds between 5Mbps and 6Mbps nomatter what. The results of Speedtest.net and speedometer do not match at all. Nomatter what, i have never seen speeds of 12Mbps. Another point is that the browsing speeds might be good (youtube buffering happens automatically) but while downloading applications and softwares, i usually get a speed of 64kBps -100KBps implying that my actual speed is around 512KBps-1MBps. I have been calling the reliance customer care everyday but nobody has a clue. One TSR told me that the speed you will get would be between 1-2 Mbps only since the 12Mbps line has a contention ration of 1:8 impliying that the bandwidth is shared between 8 people. Nomatter what i argued, he failed to accept that there was an issue. Iv raised the issue a number of times but it really doesnt help.
The connection is through what it looks like a normal ADSL cable (though it looks a bit thinner than the normal LAN cable) and without a model

I suggest you to change ur plan to Night zoom 999(also mention CC the reason for ur immediate plan migration) for time being and check the reliability of the connection. Then after a week try to switch back on to Freedom 999. Let us know the status after that.

Something is amiss, and the contention ratio argument is really moot, because even if the connection is shared between 8 people, it would only give you such speeds if everyone is using the line simultaneously. Being an unlimited plan, this isn't necessarily out of the question, but not entirely likely, either, because of the way FTTB usually works, which is that between you and the local point of presence there is no restriction on the speed, BUT your speed is controlled by a computer at that office, which allows for Reliance to change your plan as needed... so between you and the PoP you are actually sharing a 100mbit/s line with x number of people, not a 12mbit/s line, but your connection is specifically supposed to be allowed to utilize a "burst speed" of "up to" 12mbit/s.

Basically, what I'm saying is that it's not a 12mbit/s line all the way to the PoP, nor is it a 12mbit/s line that is shared with 8 people and as such you will only ever reach a maximum of 12mbit/s divided by 8 - they could only DREAM of such fine-grained control over all that, and the only time at which you should be receiving 1mbit/s or less is if you've crossed your FUP limit (25GB).

If it really were true that the switch in your building was only being supplied with up to 12mbit/s of bandwidth and you were sharing that with 8 other people, then their network would be virtually unmanageable - and they'd have to have 1 switch for each plan in your building... (otherwise, what if every user in your building is on a different plan? How are they supposed to map that? The switches involved just aren't that intelligent, and the equipment that is, isn't cheap enough that you would want to put one in every building).

It should say on the cable itself what type of cable it is - I'd be very surprised if it's anything less than CAT5.

Shocking. I'm in Mumbai and I get 35ms to Delhi.

1:8 stands for download to upload ratio.. According to plan if download is 12mbps.. Then upload should be 1.5mbps..
Up they're looting you.. Slight 1-2know variation is acceptable.. Certainly not this much my friend.

Not correct, sorry. Contention ratio is not the same as the download:upload ratio. If they're providing via Metro-Ethernet (FTTB), then no such ratio exists - it is theoretically capable of anything up to 100/100.

It only exists for ADSL because of the nature of that technology: it's capable of 8mbit/s down and 1mbit/s up (ADSL1) or 24mbit/s down and 1, 1.5 or 3.5mbit/s up (ADSL2+ depending on the profile used) but that measurement is never advertised because providers restrict the speeds - both download and upload - that they offer on DSL anyway.

All the best arguing with reliance people .. they will come out with the weirdest of excuses, and if things dont rectify will blame your pc for the slow speed and will never admit to their own mistake ..As Indian Mascot said your bad day has just started with reliance .. so all the best man :rain:

This is incorrect. The ratio is actually how many people would be sharing the bandwidth. This is bad. I also have a mtnl connection as i specified which runs on 512kbps. And i always get a speed of 512Kbps. What i am wondering is what will happen when the 25GB cap reaches. I would reach 1Mbps shared by 8 people? Effectively 128kbps? This is crap. And what i am wondering is do all wireline plans offered by reliance have the same contention ratio applied to them? Since i dont see it on the web that 1:8 is applicable to only 12Mbps plan (there is a general mention that such contention ratio exists). So people who are on other plans, do they get the same speed that they are told or is it less (by less i mean quite less).

Contention ratio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1:8 stands for download to upload ratio.. According to plan if download is 12mbps.. Then upload should be 1.5mbps..
Up they're looting you.. Slight 1-2know variation is acceptable.. Certainly not this much my friend.

This is incorrect. The ratio is actually how many people would be sharing the bandwidth. This is bad. I also have a mtnl connection as i specified which runs on 512kbps. And i always get a speed of 512Kbps. What i am wondering is what will happen when the 25GB cap reaches. I would reach 1Mbps shared by 8 people? Effectively 128kbps? This is crap. And what i am wondering is do all wireline plans offered by reliance have the same contention ratio applied to them? Since i dont see it on the web that 1:8 is applicable to only 12Mbps plan (there is a general mention that such contention ratio exists). So people who are on other plans, do they get the same speed that they are told or is it less (by less i mean quite less).

Except, as per my last post, basically they 1 unit of bandwidth from their network to the rest of the world (whether that's peering, Internet bandwidth etc) for every 8 residential users, so if they have 1 lakh customers nationwide on 12mbit/s plans, then they should have 12mbits / 8 = 1.5mbits = 1.5lakh megabits of bandwidth available: it's not the bandwidth that is shared locally (to the building, suburb etc), it's the bandwidth that is shared in the city or even in Reliance' entire network.

The metrics work because the expectation is that customers won't be saturating the lines, or, to put it another way, a 1mbit/s line allows for ~320GB of traffic per month, plus the initial 25GB (so say 345GB per month to make the numbers easy), then the expectation is that the average use is around 43GB per month). Some users obviously are higher, others lower - but it averages out across a huge number of customers, and as long as they stay below that average, they're fine.

I thought TRAI required ISPs to deliver 80% of advertised speeds at any given time...

I thought TRAI required ISPs to deliver 80% of advertised speeds at any given time...

They do - except people often neglect to remember the follow-on sentence in that clause which says "up to the ISP node", which means that this clause is almost always interpreted incorrectly.

There is no stipulation that says they have to provide 80% of the speed to another network or even to any given point within their own network, excepting the whole 1:50 contention ratio rule, which is a separate thing in itself.

So, as the OP is in New Delhi, this means that he should be able to get at least 9.6mbit/s to a Reliance server at a Reliance NOC or the cable operator controlling his area in New Delhi, so if Reliance has a server in New Delhi with speedtest mini on it, you should reasonably expect the aforementioned 9.6mbit/s (or better).

Unfortunately to use speedtest.net's server in New Delhi, traffic must get to either Hughes network or Vodafone's network, which means traversing a peering link (either private or at NIXI), or the public Internet - networks which they have almost no control over. If he receives 0.24mbit/s (12mbits / 50 max contention) to that server, Reliance is, in theory, not breaking the rules (even though at those speeds the entire network would be running at 100% capacity and probably due to melt down at any time).

Even then, given that the speedtest.net servers are public servers, that introduces some more inaccuracies because, what if the capacity of that server is too heavily utilized? What if it's on a 100mbit/s connection and I'm using 92mbit/s while you are also trying to run your speedtest and only receiving 8mbit/s (and assuming everyone else in India is asleep)? No rules are being broken, it just means that the server is overloaded at that particular point in time.

What the clause originally seems to be targeted at is more of a line maintenance issue than a quality of service issue. As we know, DSL (by far the most popular access method in India) signals deteriorate over distances, plus when you add kinks and splices and other anomalies in to wiring, it decreases further, and so what they're doing is essentially stipulating that the speeds on offer are limited by the technology and the distance between their premises and the roadside cabinet that supplies their service, and as such in order for the provider to offer this service to this customer, his line should be sufficiently short enough and the cabling good enough quality (not too old, no corrosion, no band-aid fixes etc) that his modem can sync at 80% of the rate.

I believe this is one of the reasons that some people get refused plan upgrades: they ask for the upgrade, then the feasibility study shows that they're say 5km from their nearest exchange, so the line barely eeks out 2mbit/s but then they want 4mbit/s and the line can't support it, so, sorry, that plan can't be offered to you right now. Not so much of an issue with FTTB networks, as the copper is not more than 90m (else it just doesn't work).

But, despite the misinterpretations and everything else, you can be sure that the engineers would be forced to push the technology beyond reasonable limits if this regulation didn't exist (...causing huge problems and screwing up the customers who would be trying to use ADSL at like 10km from the exchange)

I am currently using the 12MBps plan....the speed is great .on a average I get speed around 5-7 MBps.the max I got was 1.8 MBps{14.4} actual download speed

I am currently using the 12MBps plan....the speed is great .on a average I get speed around 5-7 MBps.
the max I got was 1.8 MBps{14.4} actual download speed
Could u post some speed results here? Are u on metro ethernet?

Its getting worse day by day. No matter what, the Reliance speedometer always shows me a speed between 5000-6000Kbps these days. But the speedtest results are decliningl. I get to see anything between 1Mbps-2Mbps on the on the speedtest servers. However, the browsing experience remains the same. Nomatter what i download, i only get speeds between 50KBps -100 KBps (and its usually around the 60KBps line).

And let me tell you the customer service. I got the connection installed on the 26th but i got a welcome call only on the 8th. Post i told them my grievance , i am getting around 2-3 follow up calls everyday (They wake me up at around 9 AM on weekends) Everytime they listen to the whole story and promise to get the problem resolved as soon as possible.

I was on the MTNL 512Kbps fixed speed unlimited plan and im getting almost the same speeds. The only difference is that i get stability in the sense that the line doesnt got down (hasnt gone down except for a few minutes here and tehre when the line went down for a couple of minutes).

Hey guys?Is there anything i can do?
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.