Sites inaccessible on Sify Broadband

• Thread starter Thread starter Decius
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 20
  • Views Views 4,463
That's what the Sify Customer Care also repeated like a parrot. It didn't help.By the way what's the logic of this solution? I think Temporary Internet Files might prevent you from viewing the latest instances of websites. How can they prevent whole websites from opening up totally? And cookies might not let you into some sites if you are banned from them or something because cookies identify you. This is what I can think of. If you or anyone knows more about the logic of this method, do share.

Well i have 4 browsers (mozilla, opera, firefox, avant) n this problem happened in each n every browser, i can understand the case with Avant coz it uses IE engine but not the other browsers.....so problem was definitely at their end. It is resolved for the time being.. 🙂

I am sorry you are all going the wrong way as most large sites block the ping request to stop people trying to bring down the site. What you need to do is a trace route or pathping (takes longer)...

The good thing about the trace route command (tracert) is that it shows every hop and as such shows if you have DNS resolution. While pathping will ping until it times out and then ping each server to show any packet loss.

To run these commands simply open a command window via start > run > type in CMD for XP or command for any other version of windows and then "tracert www.anyurluwish.com" such as tracert www.bbc.co.uk

For path ping is the same though rather than tracert it's pathping www.bbc.co.uk

If you just want to check if your DNS resolution is working correctly simply in the command window type in nslookup www.bbc.co.uk dns server address for an example for an ISP in the UK i would do nslookup www.bbc.co.uk 212.159.13.49 - Please note if you have setup your network correctly you only need to put in nslookup www.bbc.co.uk

I hope this helps.

Yeah! Sify blocks pings, traceroutes, darn absolutely every network diagnostic packets at the local gateways or at a router or two beyond them.And all this while when these weird problems were there with Sify, all the sites resolved perfectly everytime.

Sushubh - yes but there are many other big sites that do block pings...Chino