3G data not valid in 2G network?

• Thread starter Thread starter buBleZ
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 7,923

buBleZ

ISP
Airtel
I was about to activate 375Rs 500MB 3G data plan. But I learnt from CC that plan data usage is counted against 500MB only when using 3g network. When using 2G network the data usage is charged at 10p/kb. This is ridiculous. Vodafone doesn't have 3G in all places and indoors the 3G signal is mostly very weak and automatically switches to 2G. With this network status its unfair for Vodafone to charge seperately for 2G data usage.What everyone else is doing who have activated 3G Plans? Are all providers doing the same?btw I am from Bangalore.

99 views and no replies?

It's valid for both networks....
For More Details call Nodal Desk :: 080 7171 1111
Or Mail :: nodal.kar@vodafone.com

I was about to activate 375Rs 500MB 3G data plan. But I learnt from CC that plan data usage is counted against 500MB only when using 3g network. When using 2G network the data usage is charged at 10p/kb. This is ridiculous. Vodafone doesn't have 3G in all places and indoors the 3G signal is mostly very weak and automatically switches to 2G. With this network status its unfair for Vodafone to charge seperately for 2G data usage.

What everyone else is doing who have activated 3G Plans? Are all providers doing the same?

btw I am from Bangalore.

I think the CSR has been confused by the use of 2G and 3G and so on (don't worry, I face the same problems whenever I even open my mouth at a CSR or even tweet about them).

Anyway, to answer your question, when your phone can only achieve EDGE (2G) speeds due to their 3G coverage not being available in that location, your data will still be counted as per the plan, so long as you're not roaming. The only difference is that instead of being relatively nice and snappy, it goes painfully slow.

The thing is that your SIM is activated EITHER for 3G OR 2G, not both, and then the only variable is whether your nearest tower is sufficiently close to where you are at any given moment as to whether or not your phone will get a 3G signal or drop back to a 2G signal because of distance or stuff being in the way, like buildings.

Source: In my in-laws apartment, Vodafone 3G reaches only about 30cm inside the balcony, drops back to 2G for about 2m and then the signal dies completely - but I've never been charged a different rate for using my 3G plan while only achieving a 2G signal.

vodafone... you can use 3G data (costly) in 2g network but not vice versaairtel...... you can use 2G data (cheaper) in 3g network and vice versa.... yes you read it correct.

vodafone... you can use 3G data (costly) in 2g network but not vice versa
airtel...... you can use 2G data (cheaper) in 3g network and vice versa.... yes you read it correct.

Now Airtel has become super smart and plugged all the loop holes.
Earlier 2G data pack when used in HSPDA or WCDMA network used to give on/off 3 G speeds (and not deduct from main balance).
Now 2G data pack running sim if used in HSPDA/WCDMA -it will work ping -120 compared 300+ in Edge network but download speed capped below 60 kbps.!!!
Now crying ,you choose "GPRS/Edge only" and re connect- you get 140-190 kbps download speed easily.
Now I check once my luck and then stick to "Edge network "so that atleast I get 150-180-200 kbps to browse easily or even download ( Konstant 18-20 kBps -say 75 mb Tv serial file more than 60-90 mins!!)

the 2G speeds are sometimes very slow... that time i occasionally use 3g network...in 3g network with 2g data plan, the pings are much better. But my battery drains on 3G network... so i use 2G most of the time.

Anyway, to answer your question, when your phone can only achieve EDGE (2G) speeds due to their 3G coverage not being available in that location, your data will still be counted as per the plan, so long as you're not roaming. The only difference is that instead of being relatively nice and snappy, it goes painfully slow.

Source: In my in-laws apartment, Vodafone 3G reaches only about 30cm inside the balcony, drops back to 2G for about 2m and then the signal dies completely - but I've never been charged a different rate for using my 3G plan while only achieving a 2G signal.

Thanks for the clarification and confirmation. But on the roaming part when I was using Airtel 3G plan irrespective of 2G/3G network and irrespective of home/roaming networks I wasn't charged extra. All usage was calcuated against my data plan. Are you saying Vodafone 3G charges for roaming based on per kb rate?

If u have opted for some 3G plan and even if u disable 3G from ur phone settings and just use the 2G .. then also they won't charge u Don't always believe the customer care .. Most of the time they r as clueless as we r ..

I just checked with airtel customer care. They confirmed that it ll be charged 10p/30kb for 2G usage in 3G plan.So i dropped my idea of subscribing 3G plan. Clever airtel. btw, Im in bangalore.

^^Why do you guys listen to Customer Care idiots? :smiley-ashamed005:When you activate any 3G data plan, it holds good for both 3G as well as 2G!! And this applies to all the operators, not just Vodafone or Airtel!

I think the CSR has been confused by the use of 2G and 3G and so on (don't worry, I face the same problems whenever I even open my mouth at a CSR or even tweet about them).

The thing is that your SIM is activated EITHER for 3G OR 2G, not both, and then the only variable is whether your nearest tower is sufficiently close to where you are at any given moment as to whether or not your phone will get a 3G signal or drop back to a 2G signal because of distance or stuff being in the way, like buildings.

Sooooo... Although we have to use edge because their coverage sucks we still pay for 3G services... Great...

I have another question... Are voice calls transmitted through the 3G signals or are they still using the 2G for that... I ask because even if I am in an area with full 5 bars of 3G when I get a call the data symbol disappears... And when I disconnect the call the Edge symbol appears then it shifts to the 3G symbol...