What is the Upload speed?

• Thread starter Thread starter esdee51
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 3,205

esdee51

ISP
Airtel
Hi,I am on an old plan of 1Mbps d/l.My question is: what upload speed do Airtel assure? I am not getting anything more than 256Kbps upload speeds.Also what would the upload speed be if I migrate to a 2Mbps 75GB FUP limit plan?Thanks.

Afaik, the ISP has to ensure that upload is atleast 1/4 of download. Though I don't know whether they provide 1mbps upload on a 4mbit line, for 2mbps you can expect something on the lines of 512k.

I don't know about the '1/4 of download' speed.I'm on a 4 mbit line, but most of my speedtests shows an upload speed of 600-625 kbit.Maybe a 2 mbit user can enlighten us.

Afaik, the ISP has to ensure that upload is atleast 1/4 of download. Though I don't know whether they provide 1mbps upload on a 4mbit line, for 2mbps you can expect something on the lines of 512k.

No, no, and no. There is nothing that says *really* what the upload is supposed to be, and 1/4 of the speed on common ADSL profiles is technologically impossible, especially on plans beyond 4mbit/s...

Yes, while the ADSL2+ M Annex specification does allow for up to 3.5mbit/s upload, in most countries where full-speed ADSL is available the max upload speed you can get is 1mbit/s on a line that is up to 24mbit/s download speed - but even if India was using the latest an greatest DSL specifications, 3.5/24 is still only about 1/7 the potential speed.

Of course, I am talking mostly about DSL since it is the technology in use by near as makes no difference 90% of the Indian market.

Typically speaking, your upload speed is likely to be 256 or 512k depending on your plan, and some ISPs (MTNL from memory) allow you to pay for more for higher upload speeds. The upload speeds you can achieve on other ISPs mostly depends on what technology they have in use - those of us on Metro-Ethernet style connections can usually get near-synchronous multi-megabit speeds if the plan so allows.

No, no, and no. There is nothing that says *really* what the upload is supposed to be, and 1/4 of the speed on common ADSL profiles is technologically impossible, especially on plans beyond 4mbit/s...

Yes, while the ADSL2+ M Annex specification does allow for up to 3.5mbit/s upload, in most countries where full-speed ADSL is available the max upload speed you can get is 1mbit/s on a line that is up to 24mbit/s download speed - but even if India was using the latest an greatest DSL specifications, 3.5/24 is still only about 1/7 the potential speed.

Of course, I am talking mostly about DSL since it is the technology in use by near as makes no difference 90% of the Indian market.

Typically speaking, your upload speed is likely to be 256 or 512k depending on your plan, and some ISPs (MTNL from memory) allow you to pay for more for higher upload speeds. The upload speeds you can achieve on other ISPs mostly depends on what technology they have in use - those of us on Metro-Ethernet style connections can usually get near-synchronous multi-megabit speeds if the plan so allows.

Ah, thanks for the corrections 🙂
Why would 3.5/24 be only 1/7 of the potential speed ?
Also, I remember reading on this forum, some time ago, that isps were required to keep upload at atleast 1/4 of download, perhaps that particular post was incorrect, or my memory has faded 😛

Ah, thanks for the corrections 🙂
Why would 3.5/24 be only 1/7 of the potential speed ?

Because 3.5 divided by 24 = 0.14583 which is near enough to 1/7.

Also, I remember reading on this forum, some time ago, that isps were required to keep upload at atleast 1/4 of download, perhaps that particular post was incorrect, or my memory has faded 😛

Maybe you read that in Hayai FAQ's, since we do that for our fiber plans?

But 1/4 of the speed is not in the rules or regulations from what I recall - it's more or less up to the ISP. If Airtel were to do what I've been talking about for ages and take away all speed caps and charge only for data, most people would find themselves at somewhere between 12 & 20mbit/s down and around 1mbit/s up (subject to line quality).

I get 0.8 mbps both in 2mbps and 4mbps download plan. sometimes when they throttle torrents to 100 kbps, the upload speed goes down to 20 kbps

^^That'll be traffic shaping at work and unlikely to do with the plan/technology/etc itself.

^^That'll be traffic shaping at work and unlikely to do with the plan/technology/etc itself.

But why should Airtel shape upload speeds (24x7 and on all traffic not like throttling of torrents) which forms a much lesser chunk of their data transfer. I always thought that it is a limitation of ADSL that uploads cannot go beyond a certain speed. That beng said, it was surprising to see the same upload speeds on both 2 and 4 mbps connection and i was expecting upload at atleast 1.1 mbps

But why should Airtel shape upload speeds (24x7 and on all traffic not like throttling of torrents) which forms a much lesser chunk of their data transfer.

You'd think.

Probably the shaping is merely a percentage based variable: between hours 0900 and 1800 traffic of type "bittorrent" = capacity * 0.1

Or whatever. I hope you can see my logic.

I always thought that it is a limitation of ADSL that uploads cannot go beyond a certain speed.

Correct.

That beng said, it was surprising to see the same upload speeds on both 2 and 4 mbps connection and i was expecting upload at atleast 1.1 mbps

In this case it seems they're not artificially limiting the upload speed, whereas they are doing that for the download speed.

the maximum upload speed of adsl2+ is only 1mbps. see mgcarley's post (4th) above.

Not quite. As mentioned, the maximum upload speed of ADSL2+ is 3.5mbit/s but most providers around the world don't use this usage profile (Annex M I think it's called), instead opting for another one which limits the potential upload speed to 1mbit/s or so - why, I don't know - maybe it's an equipment difference.