• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 1,639

VivR

searcher
ISP
Airtel, MTNL and Reliance
Hi guys!

I want ur help regarding in deciding home theater system.

I already have Sony Bravia 32inch LCD (KLV-32V400A) and Sony DVD player (both purchased 3 years back) connect through HDMI. I also own TS HD+ STB, also connected through HDMI.

I want to have a surround sound effect in my room and movie theater like experience which is what a home theater system typically does.

What i gathered from the search i did is a home theater consists of multiple speakers along with a DVD player with in-built (or, separate?) surround-sound stereo receiver unit.

My question is - since i already have almost latest TV and DVD player, do i really need to invest in a full-fledged home theater system, or spending only in a set of multiple speakers will do the needful in combination with the already existing LCD / DVD player? Will they have same effect?

Thanks!

the receiver will drive the speakers. the receiver has the amplifiers for each channel of the 5.1/7/1 setup along with the ability to decode dolby etc which comes as an input through hdmi. without the receiver u CANNOT get surround sound. the signal coming from the dvd player or anything needs to be processed. plus a surround setup will need amplifiers(part of the receiver) to drive the speakers.home theater is a generic term to describe everything u need to watch movies, tv ,music etc. u just buy what u require (not everything). all u need is a receiver and speakers. u can attach ur dvd player, mp3 player, tv etc to the receiver.

Hi Kickass!

Great info! thanx!

Do such receiver and speakers are made by mainstream companies such as Sony etc.? if yes, then pls do give me some links.

Thnks!

the receiver will drive the speakers. the receiver has the amplifiers for each channel of the 5.1/7/1 setup along with the ability to decode dolby etc which comes as an input through hdmi. without the receiver u CANNOT get surround sound....

Companies selling 5.1 channel speakers, seemingly having no seperate reciever unit, are claiming to have surrond sound effect with those speakers. One of the example is Sony Speaker System SA-ID7000.

Again, the chrages to be spent just on a Reciever alone is starting from Rs. 18,000, at least that is what i can see on ebay. Whereas, the price for a complete 5.1 channel speakers with DVD player (with USB & Tuner) has a starting range of Rs. 8,000 onwards, and they too claim to have dolby digital surround sound effect as well.

All this making me confused. Anyone there to enlighten? 🙂

what these ppl sell in the name of 5.1 is utter crap. its not true 5.1. for that u will need a receiver to decode the signal and pass it through the right channel. u also get soundbars(single horizontal speaker that u can fix blw the tv horizontally). they will claim 5.1. too !! all of tht is just crap. a receiver is expensive no doubt. but there is a reason for that cost. the best receivers are made by onkyo, yamaha & denon. u shud get something in them for around 20k. google around.
the Sony that u mentioned is utter horrible. if a 6k system wud produce any respectable sound others wud be out of business !! 🙂
even the cheapest receiver + good speakers wud beat it by miles.

----------

if u don't want to buy a receiver seperately and speakers and then mix n match n break ur head then look for a HTiB(home theatre in a box). a entire setup will cost u far less than buying everything seperately. it will have a receiver+speakers along with reqd wiring and guides to set up etc. for 25k u cud get a onkyo ht-s3300 (receiver + 5.1 speakers) and believe me its worth it. check out the reviews.