Any HP Touchpad users here?

• Thread starter Thread starter GarfieldDC
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 18
  • Views Views 2,091
I have one too

I am running WebOS. Wasn't impressed with the ICS build that I saw for the TP, hence will wait till a better one is available.

Did you try CM9? I think it's very stable for an alpha build. Most of the apps I use work (after a few tweaks and fixes). The interface is a refreshing change and so much smoother than CM7 GB. I haven't booked into webOS in ages.

^ Isn't CM9 ICS? I saw the video they put up for the same, but wasn't that impressed as some things seemed to not work. I am not an app junkie, but I need core functionalities to work smooth. I have hwoever upgraded to ICS on my DHD and am liking it 😀

CM9 is ICS. Most of the videos out there are on the initial alpha builds. The current CM9 alpha 0.6 is very stable. Some things still still need be fixed but most issues from the original builds have been or are being fixed. Hardware Acceleration doesn't work but you can still play movies and videos using Sweet acceleration. Due to this you can't play HD videos on YouTube but if you turn off the HD option videos play without issues. Wifi is patchy for some people although I've had no issues. Most of the the apps I use regularly including some high end games work without any issues. I play MC3 on the TouchPad without any issues. So for me the current version of CM9 is very usable. We should see some quick progress on CM9 development for the Touchpad now that HP has released the Android kernel they had developed for the Touchpad to the CyanogenMod team.

^ Exactly, and I am waiting for some enhancements from that to make way into the CM builds. I use the TP as a media consumption device and so YouTube is absolutely necessary. The lack of support of HD (as claimed) is a downer. I expect to make the switch in a month's time when hopefully things will be better.

CM team confirmed that kernel released by HP will not help them in fixing major bugs currently. but definitely help in smaller issues. For me webOS all the way. Pre3+Touchpad. Perfect Jodi. 😉

I actually quite like WebOS. Amazing how futuristic the OS was and how it still works so well in today's scenario. If only HP hadn't ****ed it up.

At the end its a personal choice if you want to use webOS or android. I bought the Touchpad mainly for the reason that I could run android on it, play around and tweak it. WebOS is also a very good OS, only thing that I don't like is that there is no way to purchase apps from the store in India.

Yes, I agree. Overall WebOS is a great platform and a pleasure to use. The the look and feel, UI transitions and responses are much better than android in a lot of cases (this is when comparing with GINGERBREAD as that would be a better comparison). To be honest, the Touchpad has been my real first time experience with WebOS and android. Earlier I had tried WebOS and Android, but that was on devices owned by friends or family. So I couldn't really play around or tweak the devices to my liking to really get a flavor of the platforms. The Touchpad I have been able to do just that. When I used WebOS I was impressed (I was using only iOS devices for a couple of years at this point). When I used Android GB, it paled in comparison to the iOS/WebOS experience (then again, and I was using a phone OS modified to run on a tablet). But with ICS, Android has taken a giant leap in the right direction. Now we only need to have Google and the app developers officially recognize the Touchpad as an Android devices.

The kernel should help them fix some things that are nagging problems on CM9, like the wifi issue and hardware acceleration. If they can fix these two issues then another of users will be happy. The rest of the issues will need new coding as HP's kernel was based on Gingerbread where as we are now on ICS, and how a lot of things are coded in ICS is very different from GB.

Pretty much agree with the stuff you said about GB, ICS, and WebOS. WebOS was the only major OS missing in my 'repertoire' in terms of usage experience, and the Touchpad was my first real experience with it. I had seen it in action on YouTube, but nothing beats the real feel. To be very honest, I was impressed to the point of being amazed at what the OS was capable of, and disappointed that HP threw it away. I guess this was one OS which was never meant to be. On the other hand, my experience with Android had always been patchy until the ICS came along, but more on that later. Android caught on probably because of excessive patronage of the geeky community, and probably also due to incumbency against iOS. I am no iOS or Apple fan, but cannot deny the fact that it has the best touch screen experience out there amongst portable devices - something challenged only by WP7. That apart, I really dislike everything about the OS, their devices, their closed system and pretty much everything. I have no qualms in admitting I am prejudiced against them. Android, though pretty good and flexible and what not, always missed that 'something' which left it short of a top of the line experience. ICS I believe is a massive leap then in that direction, and a well planned one at that. ICS doesn't carry any of the clumsiness of its predecessors - thankfully - and that is it's major achievement. Multi core processors and RAMs in excess of a gig apart, what matters at the end of the day is the experience, and I genuinely feel a superlative effort has gone behind making ICS more experience oriented.

I'm on the the same page with you on that. With ICS, as long as Google can keep fragmentation of the OS (by different device manufacturers) down to a minimum - We have a real battle now between iOS and Android. I would have loved to see HP take webOS to the next level. On a different note, do yourself any cases or screen shields with your Touchpad? I'm looking for some screen shield but can't seem to find any here locally.