BSNL connection queries: speed, plan change etc.

goyal.sanchit

Regular
ISP
Airtel
Hello everyone

I had been using airtel broadband since last few years. I had the explorer 1099 plan and was very happy with airtel. But when they decided to change my plan twice I decided to switch to bsnl.

I have now got the BSNL connecton and have applied for disconnection request at Airtel.

Current plan- 750ul home combo
Current modem+router- Beetel 450bx1

On Airtel I used to get 512 Kbps and on BSNL it is 1 Mbps upto 6 gb/512 Kbps after that.

I have done quite a few speedtests and a speed is around 1 Mbps. However sometimes it seems slower than Airtel. Like when I open many tabs sometimes they take a lot of time in connecting which was not noticable in airtel (I guess).

I have been using google DNS and have put that in network connections settings.

But in the router settings dns servers mentioned are different. Does they need to be changed there as well?

Also here is the image of snr and attenuation values just in case. I have no idea what they should be and what is the acceptable value.

Apart from that does bsnl customer care work at night also (1500) ? I called them since I wanted to know the portal id and password but it was on hold for long time so I finally cut the phone.

Also If I apply for a plan change is it changed on prorata basis or from the next bill cycle? I am planning to change to BBG Combo ULD 850- 2 Mbps upto 8gb/512 Kbps after that +350rs free calls.

I would have changed to ULD 1350 but the fup till 30 gb is not applicable in Punjab circle. Atleast its not mentioned on the website though I wonder if it is still applicable! Can anyone from Punjab circle confirm this?

Thanks.

Your snr and attenuation are real bad. My snr is 30.2 and attenuation is 2.8. Though if your connection is stable, you don't need to worry much.. What portal do you use? Yes, 1500 is supposed to be 24hours, though if you have issues with your connection to avoid the cc and contact your exchange directly via the mis form.

Your snr and attenuation are real bad. My snr is 30.2 and attenuation is 2.8. Though if your connection is stable, you don't need to worry much..

What portal do you use?
Yes, 1500 is supposed to be 24hours, though if you have issues with your connection to avoid the cc and contact your exchange directly via the mis form.

Thanks for the reply.

What should be the ideal attenuation and snr values and what effect do they have. Though my connection is stable.

Currently I do not use any portal coz I do not now the portal ID and password. I am on NIB 1.

I tried calling customer care again today (1500) to know my portal id and password but noone picked the phone for 5 min after which I disconnected the phone. Is it the normal waiting time to reach bsnl customer care?

What should be the ideal attenuation and snr values and what effect do they have?

Ideal attenuation must be zero. Downstream attenuation = the amount of loss of signals as it travels from the machinery located at the exchange to your premises.

SNR = signal to noise ratio or signal / noise. A high SNR means more signal than noise in the telephone line and that in turn means a stabler connection.

----------

I called them since I wanted to know the portal id and password

Are you sure you are on the NIB I network? Only the NIB II network supports fair usage policies and speed throttling. If you are on NIB I, you do not require a portal ID and password to check your usage. Portal ID and the related password is applicable only for those in NIB II network.

What is your ip series? Since your connection is stable, nevermind snr values. And 1504 is broadband cc.

Thanks for the reply.

What should be the ideal attenuation and snr values and what effect do they have. Though my connection is stable.

Currently I do not use any portal coz I do not now the portal ID and password. I am on NIB 1.

I tried calling customer care again today (1500) to know my portal id and password but noone picked the phone for 5 min after which I disconnected the phone. Is it the normal waiting time to reach bsnl customer care?

Thanks for the wonderful reply. Explained the terms very well. 🙂

My ip series is 117.197........ so I guess its NIB 1 only?

The connection is very stable but just out of curiousity what could be the reason for such values specially when the wires are completely new?

Also does the DNS mentioned in the router important or they are overridden by those mentioned in the network connection settings under tcp/ip?

EDIT

Read some posts and I guess 117.. range is actually NIB 2. Had earlier thought it was NIB 1 after reading this thread-

http://www.*******************/bsnl-broadband/26596-beginners-guide-bsnl.html

You may get the result as 117.xxx.xxx.xxx or 59.xxx.xxx.xxx. It defines your server. If you got 117.xx, you are in National Internet Backbone I or NIB I. If you get 59.xx, you are in NIB II.

Poor snr values could also be due to a bad modem, my old modem gives me an snr of 19 and attenuation of 6. Try using a different modem. You can set everything in tcp/ip to auto.You're on nib ii

Poor snr values could also be due to a bad modem, my old modem gives me an snr of 19 and attenuation of 6. Try using a different modem.

You can set everything in tcp/ip to auto.

You're on nib ii

My airtel connection is not disconnected yet and just out of curiosity I switched to it yesterday to check the snr and attenuation. The result was pretty good so modem should be fine. Though its useless to worry about it as long as there is no trouble with the connection.

Can you please tell if I apply for a plan change would it be implemented from next billing cycle or on prorata basis?

Never mind the snr then, plan can be changed anytime and you will be charged on pro rata basis.

@x720 - my modem/internet resets automatically and once again connects to internet without any manual invention. Below is my stats. do you see any problem?

Stats are alright. Attenuation is high, but the snr compensates for that. For, how long has this been happening ?

Almost a year back, I had changed my plan earlier to 1350 plan which had FUP. So they migrated me from NIB-1 to NIB-2 and my IP changed to 117.x.x.x. I am living with this problem since more than a year. Now I am back in 750plan, but still facing same problem. BSNL guy is saying problem with Modem. But my analysis has a strong feeling that this started when my network changed.

Sudden disconnection and reconnection possible in PPPoE mode( userId/PW stored/entered in modem WAn settings page)Check System Log for any clueYou can disable button adsl2+ and then recheck for a stable connection.Attainable Rate ( Synch) will reduce. Home 750 U/l plans now speed upto 1 Mbps till 6 GB/FUP then 512 Kbps.