• Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 6,998

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
Five months before time runs out for homes across India's top four metros to switch to digital transmission to continue watching cable television, operators are battling short supply of set-top boxes as well as ignorance among consumers.

More than 60,000 set-top boxes need to be installed every day to enable an estimated 10 million homes across Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai and Kolkata to meet the deadline mandated by the government.

"Most consumers don't even know that they won't be able to watch TV with the same cable after the June 30 deadline and that a digital set-top box is a must," says Anthony Brian D'Souza, a Mumbai-based cable operator.

Cable operators facing set-top box shortage as digitisation deadline approaches near — articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com — Readability

ok the report said that digital is compulsory. i am not sure that just adding an STB fixes the problem? i thought STBs would automatically mean that you are switching to CAS 😀

ok the report said that digital is compulsory. i am not sure that just adding an STB fixes the problem?

i thought STBs would automatically mean that you are switching to CAS 😀

I guess CAS will be implemented when we will have freedom to chose channels of our choice and only pay for them.

It is more like CAS is achieved through STB. One can have an STB, but not CAS (STB with smart card giving access to all)

What is CAS?
CAS is Conditional Access System. (Conditional access - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
Indian govt is calling Digital Cable as CAS. All Digital Cables in India are CAS. Also I would call DTH as CAS too.

CAS basically means access to all "Encrypted" channels would be controlled. This is done to move from Analogue Transmission (Analogue cable in fact) to Digital TV Transmission.
Digitization has many benefits, but main aim by Indian govt is stop illegal business run by Analogue cable operators. To make people move to CAS, govt is implementing attractive pricing plans for channels (forcing channel providers for that). Customers would also benefit if Channel prices are brought down.

I guess CAS will be implemented when we will have freedom to chose channels of our choice and only pay for them.

that is not going to happen anytime soon. dth was supposed to offer exactly this feature to the users. but the companies ensured that it does not work out like that.

individual channels are hard to get. you need to subscribe to bundles. the only individual channels available are the ones that are priced obscenely.

CAS of course was promoted as a service where you would get the ability to order individual channels on a monthly basis and create your own bundle and pay only for that.

CAS is alreay in place for DTH popularly known as a-la-carte.But one have to be on subscribe minimum package and then a-la-carte for additional channels. Coming back to main topic, shortage of STB. It was expected. Making metros fully CAS in such a short time frame is almost impossible. Only Hathway is fully organised and hadve potential to manufacture and circulate STB. for rest Cable Service provider, its a nightmare. And thats the reason Big Brother Mukesh Ambani had offered to Cable Operators for buying Stakes. All Set guys for Ambanis. 😉

The bill mandates complete digitization in the four metros of Delhi, Kolkata, Mumbai and Chennai by June 30, 2012. Digitization means that there will not be any analog signals as these signals will be switched off after the cut off date. The local cable operator will not be able to beam any analog signals. The TV will be completely blacked out if the viewer is still on analog cable.

Are You Still Watching TV On Analog Cable?