• Replies Replies 21
  • Views Views 2,130

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
My niece got herself a smallish aquarium earlier today. Something I wanted to have for myself for a very long time now.

https://imgur.com/8Zb6Z https://imgur.com/L1TR0

The shopkeeper apparently told my brother that he should keep the light on to keep the water warm enough for the fishes to survive the winters.

Now the thing is that the light in the aquarium is a CFL tube which I doubt generates the heat required to warm the water 😕

So, my questions are:

1. What should be done to ensure that the water does not get cold enough to start killing the fish?
2. I noticed right now that the fishes are resting at the bottom of the aquarium. I guess this is how they sleep. Should I turn off the lights when they are resting (like right now?). Or they do just fine with a freaking bright light above their head?
3. What else is to be taken care of? The shopkeeper told us to feed them 2 times a day. 2 food particles per fish. And change the water every month. About the water… is the tap water ok? Or should we go for RO water that would hopefully remove the chemicals that are in tap water?

Put an immersion rod in the aquarium and it will keep the water, warm.Be ready to clean the gross aquarium after every 15 days.Feed them 2 or 3 times, don't over feed them or expect a more gross aquarium.

RO water is good rather thn tap. You can change small amount of water time to time, you have to drop the food and watch them eat it first then only feed more.

Put an immersion rod in the aquarium and it will keep the water, warm.

I think he wants to keep them alive, not have them for lunch :S

Immersion Rod :sidefrown: I don't have any idea about aquarium but I too have one doubt ??What if one of the fish came in contact with Immersion Rod ?? Bcoz he almost boils the water within 10-15 minutes.

you are asking me to put in the fish tank?

😕

i thought it would change the temperature of the water so fast that the fishes would die anyways. 😕

also, it would not keep the water warm continuesly, it would cool down resulting in more temperature variation!

i also thought that it was unsafe to touch water with the rod turned on 😱 what about current? 😀

btw. what is that thing that generates bubbles in the water? i assume it is to boost the oxygen in the water for fishes to breathe?

Well rod is like that but thats certainly not for aquarium use 😛 , maybe a submersible heater or a heating tube is what u need + air pump i guess.

ah a special heating rod for aquarium. that makes sense. air pump is already there as seen in the photos embedded above!

Ohh i see, i was more into fish counts in the pics :baby: , there are many products for aquariums i guess > toys , heaters , filters , lights etc